GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your opinions on an issue regarding the driver's seat. This afternoon when the unlocked car was open, the driver seat was making the clicking sound that's normally heard when one of the memory buttons is pressed and the seat is moving into position. The key is not in the ignition, just the door open. When I got in and pushed my memory button, the seat moved intermittently and I had to press the button several times to get it into position.

While driving, the same clicking sound occurred every now and then.

Once home and in the garage, engine shut off, keys removed from the ignition, the clicking continues. Even tried locking the doors but the clicking continues.

Help please! Thoughts?
I'm concerned with the seat clicking, the battery will drain.
As it's Saturday night I have no options to call the dealer to get their opinion so I'm hoping you all might know what the deal is.

Thanks much!
Mary

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
I would check to make sure that no objects are blocking the seat from moving into its desired position. Otherwise, it is probably something that the dealer must fix.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
As RIT333 has posted, this would be something for the dealer as you are probably under warranty.
You could try pushing the memory seat button a few times to see if the switch is sticking.
The memory seat function works with the key off and out of the ignition.

If you want to cut power to the seats to keep the battery from draining:
1. Remove fuse #51 in the underhood fuse block first, if still clicking go to step 2.
2. Remove fuse #5 in the underhood fuse block, the big square J case one.
This will cut power to the Seat Memory Control Module until you get to the dealer.
Save the fuses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Narrowing it down

Well, this morning the battery was drained from all that clicking through the night. Based on your recommendation I removed a padded gap filler (Shark Tank) product which did seem to wedge itself pretty well near the back of the console/seat. Thankfully we were able to jumpstart the car. We tried removing the fuses for the seat back as well as the fore/aft part of the seat and the clicking continued. My husband disconnected the two wires under the seat related to the same two seat components. Clicking stopped. He reconnected the seatback wire and the clicking started again....he then disconnected it and reconnected the seat wire...no clicking. So we're on to something. I drove the care for a lot of today and there was no clicking. With that in mind and since th issue seems to be related to the seatback module I'm going to try the manual reset of the switch per the owner's manual and see if that fixes the situation.

Stay tuned. If that doesn't work then I'll have to give in and get the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rednox 301, as you can see we removed #5 but not #51. I'm going to try what suggested in the owner's manual. I agree, it should still be under warranty as I've has the car just two years. Thanks np much for your thoughts and stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Rednox 301, as you can see we removed #5 but not #51. I'm going to try what suggested in the owner's manual. I agree, it should still be under warranty as I've has the car just two years. Thanks np much for your thoughts and stay tuned.

The Seat Memory Control Module controls almost all of the seat functions.
Removing fuses #5 and #51 will power down the module.
One thing the fuses don't control is the power lumbar function, it is on a separate circuit.

If your husband is under the seat again find out the color of the wires that made the clicking stop.
For example a red wire with a blue stripe.
I can tell you which circuit that is.
On a related note, be advised that there is an air bag in the drivers seat.
Stay away from wires that have a yellow connector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black connector

The Seat Memory Control Module controls almost all of the seat functions.
Removing fuses #5 and #51 will power down the module.
One thing the fuses don't control is the power lumbar function, it is on a separate circuit.

If your husband is under the seat again find out the color of the wires that made the clicking stop.
For example a red wire with a blue stripe.
I can tell you which circuit that is.
On a related note, be advised that there is an air bag in the drivers seat.
Stay away from wires that have a yellow connector.
Thanks for the yellow connector warning.

Black connector (front row/door side of car) disconnected is what stopped the clicking and seems to be related to the seat back reclining.

I reconnected and tried the suggestion in the manual however, when I press the seatback button for the 2 seconds the manual indicates, the button itself engages movement of the seatback as you would expect. The problem is when I push the Memory button, it stops/starts/hesitates until the seat is in position. I tried; starting the engine, putting the car in gear, rolled it forward/back, in park, shut it off and opened the door. The seat did not move back as it should. I've disconnected the black connector again.

If removing both fuses powers down the module, how long should the be out to allow full discharge? In our experience they were out a few minutes but no more than 5.

Let me know your assessment.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update: though I didn't start the car when attempting the reset of the seat the battery drained again and I learned that when I was running out the door to get somewhere. Jump started it again and took out #5 and #51. Have it set for service this coming Friday. I need this car to help my Mom move Tuesday and Wednesday this week and set service up for Friday. Now I'm wondering if I should call tomorrow morning and see if they can't get it in right away. I'm starting to be concered it's more than just related to the seat. ����

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I will need the wire colors to pin it down, I have 4 black connectors under my drivers seat.
It probably won't matter as the dealer will diagnose it.

I would get it looked at as soon as you can.
Driving with a drained or low battery can give you a whole new set of issues.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repair (or something close) was completed. The dealership reconnected the harness and put the fuses back in. After testing the seat switches and power seat functions they found everything to be working. The last step they took was to reprogram the seat module with the latest calibration. All under warranty. 😎 The service manager said they saw no need to replace the module and that it wasn't possible to tell if the module was going bad. So I guess wait and see.

A week after the service was complete everything is continuing to work as it should.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Repair (or something close) was completed. The dealership reconnected the harness and put the fuses back in. After testing the seat switches and power seat functions they found everything to be working. The last step they took was to reprogram the seat module with the latest calibration. All under warranty. 😎 The service manager said they saw no need to replace the module and that it wasn't possible to tell if the module was going bad. So I guess wait and see.

A week after the service was complete everything is continuing to work as it should.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Did the reprogramming of the seat module solve your problem? I am having the same issue for the 2nd time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
:unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts