GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT 3.6 V6 AWD. It only has 20k miles on it, and a good price of $19k. It has all the features I want (Navi, Blind Spot, Remote Start). My only concern is that this is the most expensive vehicle purchase I will have ever made and I want something that will last. I couldn't find much online about the 3.6 V6 variant of the Equinox of this year, so I am hoping you all could provide some insight into reliability etc. I maintain my vehicles extremely well and I work for a car dealership. I really want and SUV as my next car as I'm fed up with the smaller proportions of sedans. I drive about 160 miles a day for work etc., so I want something that will last. Gas Mileage doesn't concern me with the V6 because I have a gas card from work that covers the expense. My biggest concern is reliability and power. I don't want an underpowered 4 cylinder engine and I don't want a turbo because of the longevity concerns that come with it. I want to keep this car for some time and not have to worry about spending a fortune in maintenance costs. Hope you all can help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My opinion $19k for that 4.5 year old vehicle is way more than I would spend. That vehicle in 2016 had MSRP, $28,400.00. That price in KBB today with those miles in Chicago in great condition is spot on at $19k, again just more than I would spend for that.

Based on internet postings here reliability that V6 is as good as it gets in the Nox especially with only 19K miles. I'd for sure get the carfax and make sure it's been serviced regular...alot vehicles getting peddled here that have rebuilt titles.

I have read many reports about the poor reliability of the 2.4 liter GM 4 cyl, so many that I wouldn't even take one free.

Happy hunting and good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion $19k for that 4.5 year old vehicle is way more than I would spend. That vehicle in 2016 had MSRP, $28,400.00. That price in KBB today with those miles in Chicago in great condition is spot on at $19k, again just more than I would spend for that.

Based on internet postings here reliability that V6 is as good as it gets in the Nox especially with only 19K miles. I'd for sure get the carfax and make sure it's been serviced regular...alot vehicles getting peddled here that have rebuilt titles.

I have read many reports about the poor reliability of the 2.4 liter GM 4 cyl, so many that I wouldn't even take one free.

Happy hunting and good luck with your purchase!
Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing about price for it being a 2016 and all.. Hopefully I'll be able to talk them down a bit. I've seen newer vehicles with less miles go for cheaper, so I was wondering if there was a reason the value was still so high like reliability or quality. It is a one owner vehicle bought from the same dealer selling it, driven locally, no accidents, serviced regularly, oil changes every 4500 miles, clean body and interior. Back seat doesn't even look like anyone ever sat in it. Thats what was so appealing about it. Maybe I should rethink due to pricing though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing about price for it being a 2016 and all.. Hopefully I'll be able to talk them down a bit. I've seen newer vehicles with less miles go for cheaper, so I was wondering if there was a reason the value was still so high like reliability or quality. It is a one owner vehicle bought from the same dealer selling it, driven locally, no accidents, serviced regularly, oil changes every 4500 miles, clean body and interior. Back seat doesn't even look like anyone ever sat in it. Thats what was so appealing about it. Maybe I should rethink due to pricing though.
What trim level is it , if it is the LTZ the MSRP was well over 28K, the LT was less.
The 3.6L V-6 and heavier duty 6T70 transmission has been well proven.
Try them at $17K and see what happens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Start low, you can always raise your offer...

·
Registered
184 Posts

A 2016 LT, with the V6 and AWD, plus the Navigation and safety systems had an original MSRP of $32,500. With these options and only 20,000 miles today, the fair market price according to KBB is $18.4K-$19.5K. The $19K price being asked is in line with KBB. As others have said, try offering $17K and see what happens. The dealer probably paid $13K-$14K for it, so there should be plenty of room to negotiate a decent deal for both parties.

I have a 2015 LT with the V6 and AWD, purchased new in 2015 now with 57,800 miles. It has been fine aside from some interior squeaks and rattles and some age related wear of the exterior trim. Only issue under the hood has been a failed fuel purge solenoid (a known problem) that I fixed myself with a $45 part from Autozone and an hour in the driveway. Otherwise, just tires, brakes, and fluid changes. I average 21mpg in mixed driving, and 27mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
The 3.6L LFX and transmission from 2013 onward are stellar.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
think of it this way... lots of people with the 4 cyl- now wish they had bought the 6 cyl.
our 2013 is now at 95,000.

The repairs done
1 purge valve.
1 water pump - about a month ago. I ended up replacing it myself for $114. (pump+ coolant).

Since youre a highway driver.... If you drive sensibly- You could see 22-25 mpg.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good thing you have a gas card as you will need it. I have a 2016 AWD LT and love it. 30,000 miles and never been touched except for regular maintenance. The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon guys had the same engine in 2015 & 2016 and they put a lot more miles and abuse on theirs with very little problems. GM replaced the truck version of that engine with a redesigned 3.6 which went backwards in reliability. The 3.6 Equinox is only available in AWD and there is a premium on the used ones due to the issues with the 4 bangers.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Good thing you have a gas card as you will need it. I have a 2016 AWD LT and love it. 30,000 miles and never been touched except for regular maintenance. The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon guys had the same engine in 2015 & 2016 and they put a lot more miles and abuse on theirs with very little problems. GM replaced the truck version of that engine with a redesigned 3.6 which went backwards in reliability. The 3.6 Equinox is only available in AWD and there is a premium on the used ones due to the issues with the 4 bangers.
How did it go "backwards in reliability"? Problems? Specify . .Links? I thought it was just the 8 speed transmission? My 2017 Colorado 3.6L LGZ has had no engine problems. .. in fact, no problems in +3 years.

the Newer 3.6L engine has a built in oil separator which has greatly reduced carbon build up on intake valves plus more refinements.

Also, The Equinox could be purchased with the 3.6L LFX V6 engine in either FWD or AWD till 2016-17 . . . at which point only then did it require AWD. The Terrian in those same years, according to the order guide, could be purchase with the 3.6L engine in either FWD or AWD even in 2016-17.

·
Registered
529 Posts
'16 3.6 LTZ with 66k on it now. Just brakes and tires, normal maintenance. Only non normal issue was a center stack software update when I first got it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been keeping an eye out for 3.6 GM low milage SUV.

KBB says 4.5 yrs old with 20k miles goes for $20k, I say NO! If I was in a bind and must have a vehicle, still no. Just the way I am.

if I find a garage queen 3.6 for cheap someday...that'll be great but if it don't happen oh well.

7 yrs ago I bought my caddy with 32k miles on the clock for $11k from private original owner with maintenance proof and carfax. Things are rapidly changing in the world as we new it...deals will be coming for those who can pay cash.

Patience grasshopper

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I’m with CrankMe69. The asking price is almost always high. This one seems to be “in the window”, but at the top of the window. I’d lowball him at $14,987, establishing a $5k window, then try to close around $17k. That would be it for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2 cents...
You are clever to ask at this forum!

Only buy the v6, the 4 cylinder is junk.

If you buy it , install a catch can.
Blind spot? Ok if you need help driving, but GM and advanced electronics like that, NOT a GOOD combo.
But if that is your criteria.

Remote start, every GM car has that,
with the app, you can start your car from miles away.... even if no line of sight... it will run for 10 minutes then turn off...
And seat heaters turn on in winter, or AC in the summer....

I say don't buy... I would not want blind spot...
Instead I would look for sun roof option...
And for Chicago area market, price $$$ is too high, even before the Wuhan flu..... now it should be even lower

·
Registered
907 Posts
'15 Equinox 3.6 V6 FWD with 124K miles. I bought it new and haven't had any problems, except a couple of service bulletins/recalls. Pennzoil 5W30 every 4K miles or so and tires. The stock rotors seem to warp about every 20K-25K miles with my driving style, but I just yanked them off and had them turned when needed. I did finally go with new pads and rotors around 100K on the front, but the rear brakes are still as they came from the factory!

I plan to keep it another 5 years and expect it to go 250K miles. I just paid it off in Dec., so I like this no car payment thing!

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2 cents...
You are clever to ask at this forum!

Only buy the v6, the 4 cylinder is junk.

If you buy it , install a catch can.
Blind spot? Ok if you need help driving, but GM and advanced electronics like that, NOT a GOOD combo.
But if that is your criteria.

Remote start, every GM car has that,
with the app, you can start your car from miles away.... even if no line of sight... it will run for 10 minutes then turn off...
And seat heaters turn on in winter, or AC in the summer....

I say don't buy... I would not want blind spot...
Instead I would look for sun roof option...
And for Chicago area market, price $$$ is too high, even before the Wuhan flu..... now it should be even lower
Remote start with the app is not available unless the car has the remote start module installed from the factory. My 2015 does not remote start from the app, only lock/unlock.

If it doesn't have remote start shown on the sticker, the app will not remote start the vehicle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How did it go "backwards in reliability"? Problems? Specify . .Links? I thought it was just the 8 speed transmission? My 2017 Colorado 3.6L LGZ has had no engine problems. .. in fact, no problems in +3 years.

the Newer 3.6L engine has a built in oil separator which has greatly reduced carbon build up on intake valves plus more refinements.

Also, The Equinox could be purchased with the 3.6L LFX V6 engine in either FWD or AWD till 2016-17 . . . at which point only then did it require AWD. The Terrian in those same years, according to the order guide, could be purchase with the 3.6L engine in either FWD or AWD even in 2016-17.
The Equinox/Terrain vehicles only had the LFX as GM did not redo the twins with a complete revamp coming in 2018. The LGZ was released in the Colorado/Canyon platforms in 2017 through the present. It was a completely redesigned engine with two cylinder deactivation which did work great as you never knew it was there as it only deactivated going down long grades with little if any throttle. Many of the engines have an annoying rattle on startup which is supposedly not harmful as it is the cam phasers waking up after sitting for a while. The scary problem with the LGZ is the internal oil pump that is known to fail on the 2017, 2018, and early 2019 engines in frigid weather. GM redesigned the pump and GM Canada released a service bulletin to replace the pumps, but GM U.S. did not. When we had the deep freeze back in Jan-Feb 2019, there were a lot of engine failures. Thankfully the LFX in our twins has been a very good engine. Good point about the oil seperator in the PCV system ans the LGZ did not need one. I have not done my Equinox yet but I should as it is now being used for short drives more that it was when it was my main family vehicle. It is sitting a lot now but I love it. To the original OP, what you are in for if you get a 2016 Equinox with a V6? A very good utility vehicle that is great for front and rear leg room and will last you a lot of miles if the previous owner took care of it. I love the carrying capability of mine. I even have a hitch for towing up to 3000#, my bike carrier, and a carrying rack for junk I do not want in the cargo area.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
The Equinox/Terrain vehicles only had the LFX as GM did not redo the twins with a complete revamp coming in 2018. The LGZ was released in the Colorado/Canyon platforms in 2017 through the present. It was a completely redesigned engine with two cylinder deactivation which did work great as you never knew it was there as it only deactivated going down long grades with little if any throttle.
Well aware of all of that and that the Equinox Terrain only ever had the LFX V6 along with the very problematic 2.4L since 2013.. . so not sure what your meaning is here. I have a 2017 Colorado with the LGX 3.6L and am on the Colorado forum since 2005 so well aware. On my 3rd Colorado since 2005 . .. all still running in the family.

Many of the engines have an annoying rattle on startup which is supposedly not harmful as it is the cam phasers waking up after sitting for a while. The scary problem with the LGZ is the internal oil pump that is known to fail on the 2017, 2018, and early 2019 engines in frigid weather. GM redesigned the pump and GM Canada released a service bulletin to replace the pumps, but GM U.S. did not. When we had the deep freeze back in Jan-Feb 2019, there were a lot of engine failures.
The Equinox/Terrain LFX 3.6L engine also has a start up rattle upon a cold start up especially if let sitting for several days. Well documented on Traverse and this website forum. A common trait and not some serious issue with the LGX/LGZ 3.6L .
The variable displacement oil pump was only an issue as you said mainly in Canada and rare very cold conditions. Not as prevalent as the timing chain issues on the LFX 3.6L Equinox/Terrain issues.

Good point about the oil seperator in the PCV system ans the LGZ did not need one. I have not done my Equinox LFX 3.6L yet but I should as it is now being used for short drives more that it was when it was my main family vehicle. It is sitting a lot now but I love it.
I installed an Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can on the 2015 Equinox with 2.6L V6 the day after delivery to us. It worked well and would fill up especially fast in winter driving and short trips. The LFX Equinox/Terrain 3.6L has significant carbon build up on the intake valves due to PCV contaminates routed to the intake and throttle body. Even after only 30,000 miles or so, engine tear down has revealed significant build up and can cause misfires due to carbon around the edge of intake valves. Mechanical cleaning is recommended since liquid cleaning is not very effective and can cause ring wear/damage due to washing oil off of piston rings and loosening carbon particles which get trapped and score cylinder walls resulting in oil consumption on the Equinox/Terrain 3.6L LFX engine and any other vehicle using that engine.

So far, the NEW 3l6L LGX/LGZ engine in Acadia and Colorado/Canyon have no chronic engine issues owners have reported. Certainly far less then the LFX and 2.4L engines have experienced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts