GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I own a 2016 Terrain Denali and its been a great family vehicle approaching 70,000 miles. I typically replace vehicles around this mileage as I feel private resale is still favorable with vehicles under 100k. Aside from routine maintenance, I've had to replace rotors and pads once. The car has seen Mobil1 oil changes regularly since dealer service ended and fluid film application once a year for our NE winter driving months.

I'm a little disappointed with the specs on the new Terrain. Less HP & torque with the 2.0, smaller in size, lighter. 9 speed transmission sounds expensive for repair... and so on. YouTube video's show lackluster performance compared to the 300hp V-6. A 2020 Terrain Denali MSRP is a bit more than what MSRP was for our 2016 Denali.

Dealer suggested we look at the Acadia. He said the Acadia was smaller than it's previous generation yet a Denali package is north of $46k.

Has anyone upgraded (or downgrded) from the previous body style & 3.6 to the new Body style and 2.0 and can share some positive feedback? I'm torn between keeping the 2016, moving to a SLT Acadia (trying to keep OTD sub $40k) or jumping ship to another manufacturer.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
JayTee traded up to an Acadia, and he is VERY happy with his decision. I went with the Equinox 1.5l and i am bery happy also, but my drag racing days are over. For me, the 1.5 is fine. Have you driven the 2020s ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My take is this. The 2020 Terrain Denali has a nicer feeling interior than the previous gen. That said the ride quality is a little stiffer. While the 2.0 may seem down on power on paper, it feels stronger daily driving thanks to the TQ coming on sooner. If you are the type of driver that likes to rev the engine out, the 2.0 will feel a bit lackluster compared to the V6.

when I was looking to replace my 18’ Terrain I test drove an Acadia. It feels quite a bit more spacious, rides a lot smoother, and the seats are softer. At the time the only engine options were the V6 or the 2.5. I personally do not like the V6 at all, it just doesn’t have enough low end tq for the way I like my cars to drive. The 2.5 was just top course and weak. I also don’t love the way the Acadia looks and the incentives weren’t as high as they are now so I ended up with a 19’ Diesel Equinox. if the 2.0 turbo was available when I was looking I probably would have gone for the Acadia.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sierradmax, I would'nt rush into something that you really don't like.
The MY2021 vehicles will hitting the lots soon with little, if any, changes from MY 2020.

I would give it a year until the MY2022's come out.
After 4 years of the present body style, I think you will see more than a mild refresh in the 2022's.
That's what I'm doing, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
The wife and I own a 2016 Terrain Denali and its been a great family vehicle approaching 70,000 miles. I typically replace vehicles around this mileage as I feel private resale is still favorable with vehicles under 100k.

I'm torn between keeping the 2016, moving to a SLT Acadia (trying to keep OTD sub $40k) or jumping ship to another manufacturer.
That's not a bad strategy. I usually go by mileage or 7 to 8 year mark unless a deal comes along.
If you want something more along the lines of the 2016 Terrain Denali , maybe take a look at the down sized GMC Acadia as we did.

It has a nicer ride, is just a tad larger outside but more comfortable inside and. . . we are getting a bit better MPG than our Equinox LTZ with the 3.6L LFX V6 engine. We use the rear 3rd row seats rarely (but nice to have) , so have them folded flat and the cargo space then is huge. Much larger than the Terrain/Equinox.

We didn't need to trade or sell the Equinox LTZ but with the incentives Acadia had on at the time and after two test rides at different dealers, we proceeded to purchase and the price verses features was very attractive. At least in our case at the dealer we went to.

Also, we weren't too keen on going to a turbo motor and having to use Premium gasoline if we opted for the upgrade 2.0L turbo motor many small or midsized SUV offer these days.

Here are some listings for 2020 Acadia SLT at the dealer we purchased from.
They were +300 miles from us but worth it for the price we got. Some customers even use air, train or bus travel to complete their purchase and drive back as we did.
At least this listing below might give an idea or incentive for a local dealer near you to try and match.

Shop New 2020 GMC Acadia Vehicles in St Louis at Laura Buick GMC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JayTee, Thanks for the reminder!. I've heard lots of positive things about laura's and have even had a close friend complete the purchase of a Sierra through them. We almost pulled the trigger a few months ago with the incentive and 0%. We are in no rush to sell. No harm in test driving and waiting for similar incentives. I feel it will be a buyers market continuing for the next several months.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
JayTee, Thanks for the reminder!. I've heard lots of positive things about laura's and have even had a close friend complete the purchase of a Sierra through them. We almost pulled the trigger a few months ago with the incentive and 0%. We are in no rush to sell. No harm in test driving and waiting for similar incentives. I feel it will be a buyers market continuing for the next several months.
Good idea.
When we bought the Acadia last year in June, I was looking at having to replace tires, a new battery, transmission fluid change, and one or two other maintenance items totaling +$1,200 even if I did some work myself.
So. . . while the tires were ok for the rest of the year by winter they may not have. Let the next owner get the cost and use out of new tires so that figured into it. So we felt it wiser to save the maintenance cost towards the new purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea.
When we bought the Acadia last year in June, I was looking at having to replace tires, a new battery, transmission fluid change, and one or two other maintenance items totaling +$1,200 even if I did some work myself.
So. . . while the tires were ok for the rest of the year by winter they may not have. Let the next owner get the cost and use out of new tires so that figured into it. So we felt it wiser to save the maintenance cost towards the new purchase.
I jumped the gun a few months ago and bought new rubber when I purchased tires for my business fleet vehicles. They're not mounted yet as the original rubber is just approaching the wear indicators. I'll replace them nonetheless, either before winter or before a sale.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm running my 16 nox 3.6 as far as it will go, I'm a 200k mile guy.
Traded my '17 Continental in for a 20 Traverse High Country.
More interior space than the Acadia and dollar for dollar the High Country had more than the Denali. Both of us will be retired next year and AWD with good towing capability is what we will need for at least the next 10 yrs. .
For me the current 'nox or Terrain can't deliver the goods I need or want.
3.6 nox is quick and handles pretty good for a SUV. There's being old and ''being'' old, LOL.
Little turbo's will not go the distance a NA motor will go without issues. I'm seeing that on the Malibu forum with those motors. 3.6 is a proven solid motor and I expect the 'nox and Traverse to go the 200k distance.
I don't like the 9 speed trans, too much shifting, and to me that equates to excessive wear.
Start/stop eliminator going in soon, no override button.
At 70k miles on the 'nox it's just been maintenance, normal wear items. Only complaint is the OEM battery only lasting 3 yrs. .
Traverse is gigantic inside with everything folded flat, looks like a hearse back there. We leave the 3rd row up unless extra space is needed just to keep stuff within reach of the tailgate.
Traverse is a little big for our needs, but when you need the space it's great to have.
Ride quality is very good for a family SUV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Assuming the Chevrolet-GMC comparison below holds true, where would the new Blazer fall into the equation?
Equinox - Terrain
Traverse - Acadia
Tahoe - Yukon

Seems like the Blazer is a model between the Equinox and the Traverse?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Assuming the Chevrolet-GMC comparison below holds true, where would the new Blazer fall into the equation?
Equinox - Terrain
Traverse - Acadia
Tahoe - Yukon

Seems like the Blazer is a model between the Equinox and the Traverse?
The Blazer is essentially about the same size as the GMC Acadia. . . a bit smaller inside and standard 5 passenger seating.
They are built using a version of the C1xx platform as is the Cadillac XT5 and XT6.

Acadia and Cadillac models are made in Spring Hill, TN.

Blazer is made in GM Ramos Arizpe plant, in Coahuila, Mexico

https://www.cars.com/research/compare/?vehicles=chevrolet-blazer-2020,gmc-acadia-2020

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just traded (August) my 2017 Denali AWD (39 months/41k miles-for a 2020 Denali FWD. I really love this build. 2.0T has great acceleration and so smooth. Opted to get FWD (save $2k over AWD) since I just retired and no longer use as a daily commuter (I live in Phoenix). With ‘Employee’ pricing it was a good time for me. I was concern stepping down from 3.6 V6 but the 2.0T is great. I read the 2021 and on, GM is to offer only 1 engine, 1.5T in the Terrain. That for me made the 2020 decision to buy now. My last Terrains 2011,12, 17 manufactured in Canada, Terrain since 2018 is assembled in Mexico. I very impressed with fit and finish.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I traded a 2013 Terrain Denali with the 3.6 for a 2020 Terrain Denali with the 2.0 turbo and I was also concerned about performance. It was a non issue. The 2.0 feels just as powerful as the 3.6. Plus it gets better mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the wife and I test-drove a new 20 Terrain Denali 2.0L. We were "loaned" it for 24 hours. What I found interesting about the new 20 is that on one particular incline at 35-40, the new Terrain downshifted twice (what appeared from 5th to 4th to 3rd) Whereas on the same incline, our current 16' would not shift at all. I felt the 16' has more comfortable front seating and the leather has greater quality finishes. The ventilated front seating is nice, though. Although added MPG is a bonus, I'm still not sold on the new terrain. Didn't "wow" the wife, either. Going to try an Acadia soon. I like the red mahogany color in an AT4 package.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
And. . . the 2.0L should have Premium fuel for it. The 3.6L V6 in Acadia. . . regular fuel and we average about 22 MPG around town and +28 to +31 MPG on the highway or there about.
On long steep grades the Acadia may down shift . . . but not often and only one gear.

Hello RIT333 . . . ;)

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
GMC will be sending your royalty check shortly. I think when you quote your mpg, you should say "up to". GMC will add "up to" 25% to your royalty check.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
GMC will be sending your royalty check shortly. I think when you quote your mpg, you should say "up to". GMC will add "up to" 25% to your royalty check.
Well. . .in actuality, my MPG averages about 22 MPG around town.
So, 21.xx MPG to 23.xx MPG, so that is why I state 22 MPG around town.
As far as "up to" goes, when on the highway, depending on speed wind, traffic , construction, weather, etc. we usually get +28.xx MPG to +31.xx MPG on the various trips we've taken. This means the MPG can fall between those two depending on those factors and if we make a stop, etc . So I guess what you are looking for is up to +31.xx MPG.
These are hand calculated starting with a fill up and filling up afterwards.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You may also consider testing a Buick Envision. It has a nicer interior than the Terrain and Equinox, has a 6 speed transmission that is less prone to gear hunting, comes in a NA 2.5l which will last forever and has good low down tq. They are also incredibly cheap right now. The only reason I didn’t get one is simply because I couldn’t get on board with the styling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts