GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

We've had our 2016 Equinox for 4 years now. Always maintained properly with good oils and fluid's, always on time. 53,000 miles. Never had any issues with it other than the notorious camshaft solenoid trouble code which was immediately replaced.

Lately I've been getting these start-up noises which are getting louder as time goes by. It starts out with that sort of chain sounding noise (timing maybe) that you can hear for the first second in the attached video, and then just keeps making loud noises until the rpm settles. Starting today, it can also happen at idle while the engine is warm. There aren't any trouble codes.

I heard there are timing issues with the DI 2.4 engines, is that what I've been hearing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mechanic's stethoscopes are pretty inexpensive. They can help you locate the noise. It's a pretty handy tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could be a a broken timing chain tensioner which would loosen the timing chain causing it to rub the valve cover. this happened to mine

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,844 Posts
Sounds like a swarm of Locusts (29 second mark and onward).

And just like the Locusts, if that's the sound of a slackening chain against the Timing Cover, it will soon consume that engine, leaving nothing left to salvage...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts