GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
New coils did not solve my problem…and now that cylinder #5 had a pending code, it may be blowing out afterall…I’m just at a loss and frustrated…

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,467 Posts
Oh man, I’m sorry!

Honestly - I think it was either cross-threaded on Day-1 at the Factory, or ... and I don’t know how possible this is - a “hot spot” developed around Cylinder #5 that welded the plug to the Head?

Do humans install the plugs at the Factory?

Do you think the plugs just get dropped in ... and then in goes the cordless power tool to force them down? They wouldn’t be installed like that, would they???

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
The engines come in with plugs installed and many other external accessories from the engine plant which has a whole different and meticulous regimen for assembly.
I doubt it was cross threaded, but anything is possible. The pneumatic wrenches used to torque in plugs like most other bolts are electronically monitored and verified. If it started to cross thread the wrench would simply stop and set an error.
At least, that is pretty much all how things worked in the 3 GM plants I worked in as both an electronics tech and my time in assembly.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,467 Posts
I doubt it was cross threaded, but anything is possible. The pneumatic wrenches used to torque in plugs like most other bolts are electronically monitored and verified. If it started to cross thread the wrench would simply stop and set an error.
But is that all done by robots, or are humans involved ? If humans are involved, then there ya go ...

And you can't cross-thread anything just by removing it (without the threads already being fouled in some way) ... I wouldn't think. Never heard of that ...

81 - 84 of 84 Posts