GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2015 SRX that we purchased new in May of 2015. In August of 2016 we had the battery replaced by Cadillac roadside service as it failed to start after a 630 mile trip. There was no indication that the battery was not charging or failing. This past Monday the car again failed to start and roadside service came and jump started it and we drove it home. The next morning it failed to start again and I had to jump start it with our other vehicle. I took it in to the service department on Tuesday and we got the call this morning that it was ready to be picked up. The diagnosis again was a failed battery. So that is the third battery in just over two years in a vehicle with less than 20,000 miles on it.

We have had quite a few new vehicles and most of them have had at least 4 and some last up to 6 years with the original batteries. It's very disturbing that a $40,000 + vehicle can't sustain more than a years worth of service life from a battery. Although the local Cadillac service department ran an overnight draw test on it, they couldn't find anything for the second time and just said that it was a dead cell in the battery as it was the first time......very unusual!

Are there any other folks that have been experiencing this phenomenon with the SRX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow!

173 views and no replies! I guess nobody is having issues with their batteries except us!!!! Oh well, thanks for looking :nerd:

·
Registered
26 Posts
173 views and no replies! I guess nobody is having issues with their batteries except us!!!! Oh well, thanks for looking :nerd:
I'm no car expert, but unless the 2nd battery was also a lemon, its got to be something like the alternator. The alternator should re-charge the battery during use. Or you have something using a bunch of power over time while sitting.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
I'm no car expert, but unless the 2nd battery was also a lemon, its got to be something like the alternator. The alternator should re-charge the battery during use. Or you have something using a bunch of power over time while sitting.
My intuition is still betting on 2 bad batteries. They may have come from the same build-batch, and there are probably more bad ones "available".

·
Registered
476 Posts
Me too. A mere discharge would not cause a dead cell that I know of. Should recharge ok. And these batteries are powerful, even with a small draw of some sort it would probably start the engine the next morning.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Alternator's voltage regulator could be bad, causing it to *overcharge* your battery. That would be a slow kill, but maybe a 630-mile trip could provide the knockout punch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SRX Battery

Thanks for the reply!

I know GM changed the charging circuit in their vehicles starting in 2005 and have changed them even further since. It is not your old alternator with a built in regulator anymore.......much more computerized now. The dealer claimed they did an overnight draw test on the entire electrical system and couldn't find any gremlins! But I agree, unless there were two lemon batteries, it has to be a charging problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2015 SRX Battery

My intuition is still betting on 2 bad batteries. They may have come from the same build-batch, and there are probably more bad ones "available".
Thanks for the reply!

Sir you may be entirely correct. I have no idea of the date of manufacture on the first or second battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2015 SRX Battery

Me too. A mere discharge would not cause a dead cell that I know of. Should recharge ok. And these batteries are powerful, even with a small draw of some sort it would probably start the engine the next morning.
Thanks for the reply!

There are so many modules in this vehicle that there will always be some kind of discharge or "drain" on the battery. I know the On Star system had a TSB on it for a draw that resulted in a dead battery condition. But the dealer nixed that one too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2015 SRX Battery

Alternator's voltage regulator could be bad, causing it to *overcharge* your battery. That would be a slow kill, but maybe a 630-mile trip could provide the knockout punch.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I guess that would be possible. But again, I refer back to the dealer finding nothing wrong when it was in twice for the same failure!

I asked, and was told by two service advisors, that there aren't any Cadillac engineers that go into the field to check out these hard to find solutions. I found that very unbelievable due to the fact that we had a previously owned Jeep Cherokee that turned out to be a lemon because of the transmission. Chrysler/Fiat definitely had factory engineers in the field working on that problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, in my 2015 Srx. Car was only 10 Months old ( I bought it New ) and Battery went Dead while on a 2,000 mile Trip. Got a Cadillac Service jump start and drove to the Nearest Cadillac Dealership, 40 miles away. Dead Cell, replaced Battery and I haven't had anymore problems since. But I must say, we don't put much miles on it. Currently it has 15,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply! So there are at least two of us on this forum that have had battery failures due to a dead cell. We have almost 21,000 miles on ours.

Since we have had two failures, I bought a NOCO GB40 . It is a compact/portable lithium ion jump starter. It fits nicely is the spare tire well and it is simple enough that my wife can use it if the need arises.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
A lot of dead batteries occur because a car has been sitting on a dealer lot for months on end before being sold. Many times, the battery goes dead several times then before it is sold. Very hard on a battery and shortens its life and can damage one or more cells. Sulfation takes place and is difficult to undo which weakens the battery's ability to fully recharge.

Dealer's are not the best at maintaining batteries on lot inventory so the longer a car has been on a lot the more likely it will suffer an early demise. Today's vehicle electronics, especially on luxury vehicles with lots of added on goodies, have a substantial drain just sitting for even a few weeks, let alone months.

So, unless you ordered the vehicle out sadly there is a good chance the battery will have a very short life.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had two Delco battery failures that were two years old. One was a Buick and the other a Cadillac. Nothing wrong with charging system. Dealership said they had a lot of battery failures.Both were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I too believe that the newer electronics (by volume) would strain the battery if it sits for an extended period. Our SRX was a service loaner. I doubt that it sat around very much as it was only two months old with 2300 miles. The second battery was off the shelf and it was only a month old when it was installed. So I suppose time will tell if this third battery will have a decent working life!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply! It appears your dealer is being more candid with you about battery failures than mine! Two batteries in two years shouldn't happen. Or maybe our dealer really hasn't had multiple failures. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I too believe that the newer electronics (by volume) would strain the battery if it sits for an extended period. Our SRX was a service loaner. I doubt that it sat around very much as it was only two months old with 2300 miles. The second battery was off the shelf and it was only a month old when it was installed. So I suppose time will tell if this third battery will have a decent working life!
For Colt, and JT, and myself, would you care to tell how much discount you got for a Service Loaner, and does it show up on your title, or carfax ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our SRX is a Premium model with a sticker of $49915. We paid $41,400 and bought it on the last day of the month. We don't have the title as we are still paying on it but I know it was never titled. As far as the words "service loaner" being on either the title or a Carfax I don't really know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A 2015 SRX battery fails...
We bought a certified 2015 SRX Premium with about 39k miles.

This morning the car was completely dead (3.4 volts across the battery terminals). No warnings or indications of a problem.

A Cadillac tech I talked to had seen this before. Suggested jumping and see if the charge holds.

Jumped it with my truck, and drove for a half hour or so. Voltage indicated between 14.4 and 14.8.

Starts and operates normally. Hope it works tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Could be a 4-year old battery, and who knows how long it was sitting there (and how many times it went dead and had to be jumped) before you came along and bought the car.

Dealership should replace it free-of-charge.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts