GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum, but have been working on upgrading the "paper" speakers that came with my Terrain. I just changed out the 6.5" door speakers with a pair of Infinity Kappas and some Pioneer's. I was keeping in mind the difference of the impedance of the front doors and rear doors since they were different. I just got a Kicker sub I'm wanting to put in when i replace the stock sub. Additionally, i got a separate amp for the sub to ensure adequate power running to it. Not really sure what this will do for the ANC, but time will tell. The door speaker swap alone was enough that I'm now experience the 5 second start up bass drop as was mentioned in another post.

Anyway, I was looking around and haven't found any one talking about the tear down to get to the rear sub. I'm sure i can figure it out once i get going, but thought i'd see if i can any tips or anything to help the tear down go smoother. Also, any advice as to wiring the amp. The amp is a Kicker CXA300.1 and can be wired two different ways for the remote turn on. The best being running an 18 ga wire to the head unit, but without tearing the deck apart and hooking it up to the head unit, but i'm willing to bet the stock head unit doesn't have a remote output or preamps for the sub wiring (if i'm wrong PLEASE tell me). The last time i did any significant car audio modifications was probably about 12 years ago. So I'm a little rusty, but for what it's worth the speaker doors were as easy as what most would hope they should be. So i like to think i still have a little know how going for me still.

If anyone has any insight as to the tear down or the best way to wire in the amp I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping to do it this next weekend if time permits as I have my nieces bday party to attend, but plan on showing before and after pics of the sub as well as how i wire the amp when i'm done. Thanks for the help.

-B

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hi . . welcome to the Equinox Forum.

You will find a lot of sub woofer info here by entering in " factory sub " in the SEARCH box at the upper right of this web page. There should be pictures of the tear down in the rear cargo sub woofer area. You just have to take some time and sort and read.

Here are a few to get you started. Also, there is a fellow here - - -bandirector - - - who has retrofitted the factory sub with 10" woofers and also installed a 250 watt amp in the rear cargo area with pictures. Look at the last (3rd ) page in particular of the first thread link below for tear don pictures.

The 4 cylinder doses use ANC . . so you may need to disable it .

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9829.0

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=16978.0

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=14138.0

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
JayT2014 has you pointed in the right direction.

IMO, an 8" sub just can't move enough air in an SUV to be effective...at least not in a sealed enclosure. Also, the stock 8" sub has a mounting screw that goes through the back of the stock enclosure that will limit the depth of an aftermarket 8" sub...

I'm VERY pleased with my 10" sub in a modified stock enclosure. You can build your own following my directions in one of the threads JayT posted or you can buy my last loaded enclosure that I put up for sale here and on eBay last week. It's time consuming to modify the enclosures, and I don't plan to make any more...

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=24201.0

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Ok then - - - -

- - - - you're welcome? :tunes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys. Sorry for the hiatus. Thanks, i appreciate the info. Haven't gotten around to hooking the sub up yet. Took JayT's advice though and have been looking around for more on the topic. There was one post i had seen that had indicated the (+) & (-) of some wires and had a question.

I got a kicker amp and an "adapter" where you can splice the standard speaker wires and it'll turn it to RCA's that you can connect to your amp. This is probably a 101 sort of question, but would I be right in assuming i'd want the (+) & (-) for the left to go only to the left and then the same for the right? In my mind that makes sense, but i'm still an amateur at this.

Also, I read in another post that there is a white wire running back which i can use as the remote for the amp (which would be awesome if i can). Has any one else heard of this?

One last bit, any idea's where a good place to mount the amp would be? I saw a video online were they actually mounted it behind the trim panel. I understand that Class D Amps run cooler, but that just doesn't seem like a great idea (based on everything i know). But at the same time i'm trying to find a place to mount it so it's incognito and doesn't get in the way and still has good air flow.

Sorry for "disappearing". I do appreciate the help though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
hardstorm said:
I got a kicker amp and an "adapter" where you can splice the standard speaker wires and it'll turn it to RCA's that you can connect to your amp. This is probably a 101 sort of question, but would I be right in assuming i'd want the (+) & (-) for the left to go only to the left and then the same for the right? In my mind that makes sense, but i'm still an amateur at this.
This "adapter" is called a Line Out Converter (LOC for short". They can run anywhere from $15 to $800 - but for your needs, the simplest and cheapest will suffice.

Also, I read in another post that there is a white wire running back which i can use as the remote for the amp (which would be awesome if i can). Has any one else heard of this?
No idea - but running a single wire from the amp to the fuse box, isn't very hard. Just tuck it in between the panels

One last bit, any idea's where a good place to mount the amp would be? I saw a video online were they actually mounted it behind the trim panel. I understand that Class D Amps run cooler, but that just doesn't seem like a great idea (based on everything i know). But at the same time i'm trying to find a place to mount it so it's incognito and doesn't get in the way and still has good air flow.
Class AB would be fine also. But a class D is built to handle the power.

Depending on the amp you get, you can mount them behind the rear seats or even under the front seats. Some people will even mount them directly onto the subwoofer box itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an LOC based on the sub and amp I got (both Kicker). It's the Kicker KISL. I tried adding a pic but the files to big. If ya google it you can see that there are 4 wires, 2 gray and 2 blue, and one of each run to the RCA's. so I'm assuming I'd want the positive and negative for the left going to the left RCA and likewise for the right.

I'm not a huge fan of running to he fuse box. I've personally never done this but know some people who have and kept blowing fuses. Obviously they did it wrong, but I'd rather not mess with it.

I know a D amp will handle he power. My question is mounting a D amp behind a panel where there is little air movement ok? I know that a D amp runs cooler than other amps, but will this be ok for the life of the amp? Or should I look to mount it where it isn't enclosed?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Rule of thumb - when amps get too hot...they shut down.

I've never really hid an amp to the point where there is no airflow.

That being said - you can always fab up cooling vents in the panel as not to let the amp overheat.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I use an Alpine Class D digital amp hidden behind the driver's side back trunk panel. No real air circulation to speak of, amp gets pushed hard with a 2 ohm load, and I've NEVER had an issue. Also, my amp has a built in auto turn on feature as well as high level inputs. Eliminates the need for a LOC or an amp turn on lead. I run the Alpine MRV-M500, and the MRV-M250 has the same features with less power...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
BandDirector said:
...and I've got pics of where I mounted my amp at the end of this thread...

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9829.40
Yup . . you do post pictures and that was the FIRST link I provided in my earlier post. Apparently didn't look at or read it all.

V V V

JayT2014 said:
Hi . . welcome to the Equinox Forum.

You will find a lot of sub woofer info here by entering in " factory sub " in the SEARCH box at the upper right of this web page. There should be pictures of the tear down in the rear cargo sub woofer area. You just have to take some time and sort and read.

Here are a few to get you started. Also, there is a fellow here - - -bandirector - - - who has retrofitted the factory sub with 10" woofers and also installed a 250 watt amp in the rear cargo area with pictures. Look at the last (3rd ) page in particular of the first thread link below for tear don pictures.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9829.0

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
hardstorm said:
I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but I don't see any pics in that link. Maybe I'm not seeing a secondary link?
There are pictures throughout the referenced thread. Look at Reply #41 & #55 in the thread Link - - - It shows the location of where bandirector mounted his 250 watt amp onto the left rear (drivers side) inner fender in the cargo area. With the plastic panel removed, the amp fits in nicely. SEE the picture below. .. it is the same one in the referenced thread.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9829.40

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
hardstorm said:
I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but I don't see any pics in that link. Maybe I'm not seeing a secondary link?
You have to be logged into this site to see the pics. If you click on the links in this thred and go to the thread without being logged in, then you won't see the pics.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
BandDirector said:
You have to be logged into this site to see the pics. If you click on the links in this thred and go to the thread without being logged in, then you won't see the pics.
I thought of that. . . but how the heck can he make a comment . . . without logging in?

OTOH. . if he is on some cell phone that has a tiny screen and who knows what kind of browser, maybe that won't let him "see" posted pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i don't know what it is. I am not seeing any pics in any of the links provided. The best i got is a a redirect to image shack where the pics won't load. I've even tried with 3 different browsers. however, the pic JayT attached in this thread i can see. Thanks for the help. I was halfway having a similar idea of storing it behind the panel on the drivers side as well. Nice to see that it'll work over there. I think i can take it from here. From a couple of other threads it looks like i can use the "white" wire as a remote for the amp. So hopefully everything works as i'm hoping.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the help.

Update:
Ok, so i'm a schmuck. The links you guys were referencing earlier, I can see the pics now. Problem was since it was EquinoxForum & not TerrainForum i wasn't signed in automatically. Got it. Thanks again for the help guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts