GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 GMC Terrain SLE used. It has 127k miles on it. I tend to keep cars a long time. (Last was a 2004 Chevy Tracker zr2/Suzuki Vitara at 18 years old and 265k miles).

Is it still safe to drain/fill the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
256 Posts
According to other members, it is best to do drain & fill comparing to flushing. I had mine flushed by the dealership and no problems but it was within the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to other members, it is best to do drain & fill comparing to flushing. I had mine flushed by the dealership and no problems but it was within the maintenance schedule.
I checked the downloaded manual... SEVERE service shows 45k. There is no listing for normal service replacement.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
I checked the downloaded manual... SEVERE service shows 45k. There is no listing for normal service replacement.
I would do the drain and refill. Measure how much came out and refill with the same amount.
If you even drive in one of the severe uses categories your severe use like urban or stop 'n, go.
With the drain and refill you are only getting a partial change anyway.
Never, ever let someone talk you into a flush job. Even GM says no trans. flushing.
My fleet in my signature line gets 40k mile fluid service. 'nox is at 90k miles, Tahoe at 144k miles.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Agreed. Do not do a chemical flush.
Do a drain n refill.
Youll need to get 6 qts.
About 5.3 qts will drain.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
By the way the transmission hold something like 11.x quarts , so with the drain and refill your roughly replacing only half of the fluid

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
256 Posts
BTW, the dealership used 14 quarts of ATF to flush the transmission not using any chemicals. They hooked up the transmission hose to a machine and pump out the old and at the same time inject new fluid. That is what they did to my Nox and Traverse. Interesting that they only drained and refilled my 2009 Torrent when I brought it in. Reaching the ATF fill plug in a Torrent is PITA. Need to remove one of the motor mounts, so I just let it be for now. At least, it has 50% new ATF inside and it shifts good 🤞

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Double check the capacity of your transmission... by model. 6t-40 or 6t-45 or something like that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had my 2016 3.6 Equinox in at my dealer last year before we were going to leave on a trip. Had about 36,000 miles at the time and the coolant was over 5 years old. Dealer service manager told me to hold off on the coolant but strongly recommended changing out the fluids in the transmission and the AWD gearbox. I gave the OK and was very surprised afterwards as I immediately noticed crisper shifting and my avg MPG jumped from around 19 to 21. The dealer must have known something that I didn't.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Draining and filling the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and rear differential fluid on the 2nd gen models is surprisingly simple. Normally I would have the dealer do this kind of work, but when I saw on YouTube how easy these fluid changes are to do at home I did them myself. Dealer here charges $120 for transmission fluid drain and refill, $120 for transfer case service, and $100 for rear diff service.

I bought the 10mm hex bit socket for $3 at Home Depot for the transfer case and rear diff drain/fill bolts. The gear oil for them is $17/qt. Transmission fluid was only $6/qt and I also needed a $5 long neck funnel to refill the transmission. All in, spent about $80 to do the work myself compared to $340 at the dealer...and I did the work at my convenience when I had time and was in the mood.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Warm the car to normal operating temp. Then let car sit for 15 minutes. Drain the fluid and refill with the same amount of transmission fluid that came out. Should be fine. Check it a couple of times over the next several days to be sure. This is what I did and the fluid level when checked a few times after was right on.

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
132 Posts
Shouldn't the tranny be at ambient temperature before draining and adding fluid?
I thought the fluid expands when hot and adding cold fluid to a warm transmission could cause it to be overfilled
after warmed up?
I know that what comes out, the same goes back in.
I'm getting ready to do my transmission, transfer case and differential fluid and will do mine at ambient temp.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
If no dipstick just measure the amount that came out and refill with the same amount.
No need to work on a hot trans. as you're not checking the level and refilling with cold fluid anyway.
No dipstick means sight plugs and that's a PITA not worth messing with. Easier to properly measure and replace in a non-leaking trans.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
809 Posts
Shouldn't the tranny be at ambient temperature before draining and adding fluid?
I thought the fluid expands when hot and adding cold fluid to a warm transmission could cause it to be overfilled
after warmed up?
I know that what comes out, the same goes back in.
I'm getting ready to do my transmission, transfer case and differential fluid and will do mine at ambient temp.
Use whatever method you are most comfortable with. I let it drain for almost 30 minutes, so by the time the old fluid was measured it was close to ambient temperature.

Checking the level afterwards is important whichever method is used.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts