GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested in doing a factory order on an Equinox, I am starting this thread so others may have an idea of what to expect.

Ok. . . .. that and wife and I love ordering a vehicle with what we want on it . . . no more and no less. So here's the thread to document the adventure. We have purchased off the lot a few times before and always end up with a $900 sun roof, or worse, a "package" with other things we do not prefer. So this time we will order out. So far our veteran salesman, who we've known for many years, tells us it will be 6 to 8 weeks. This is taking into account Holiday shut down time for the plant. I am ordering now for the mid to late February time frame delivery since historically there are numerous stackable incentives. I did this last in in 2010 when we purchased my Colorado LT2 Crew Cab 3.7L Z71.
So here is the order:

NOTE: Yesss. . . it is Champagne Silver Metallic. It will be wife's daily driver and she thinks it looks more "elegant" in this color. We both wish they still offered Moca Brown Metallic.

2015 Equinox LTZ Order

LTZ $32,795 GMS $30,186.04
Color= GWT Champagne Silver Metallic

Interior= Light Titanium/Black
3.6L V6 Engine $1,500
RAI - LPO, Cargo area close-out panel $135
Front - Rear Splash Guards ? $160
Rear Cargo Mat Rugged ? $75
Door Sill Plates (illuminated?) $375

12-16-2014 Total Price: $35,110.00

Aprox. GMS Price: $32,129.00

Hoping for additional $1,500 to $2,500
Incentives Including Bonus Cash,
Auto Show, GM Card Top Off, Loyatly Rebate, Etc.

][/url]

Attachments

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Re: 2015 Equinox LTZ 3.6L Just Ordered 12-18-2014

Not to be picky - but being picky...the LTZ comes with 18s now, not the 17s in your picture ? I think they look much nicer. The 17s are played out after being around since '10. I'm surprised that they never changed to a different 17" wheel - GM really milked this vehicle for all they could.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Rit said:
Not to be picky - but being picky...the LTZ comes with 18s now, not the 17s in your picture ? I think they look much nicer. The 17s are played out after being around since '10. I'm surprised that they never changed to a different 17" wheel - GM really milked this vehicle for all they could.
LOL. . .. Yes I didn't "Photo Shop" the wheels out of the picture. Just stock photo from whenever and I want the 18" wheels that the LTZ comes with. Rest assured I've been over the standard equipment and option lists so many times the past few months that we have a pretty good idea what we are getting.

We almost were going to wait till next year because I read where GM is "freshening" up the front end and interior of the Equinox and Terrain. I've seen some tentative photos of the exterior and it is a lot like the refresh on the Malibu or Cruze front end. Interior. . . . who knows, and I read it may just be some different fabric on the seats and some slight trim modifications. I doubt they will spend much on a 1.5 year change since the new Equinox comes out in late 2016/17.

·
Registered
58 Posts

50% of our new vehicles are ordered - you get the vehicle built to your needs not the dealers. Try to get the dealer allocation - worked for me - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB LML SRW 4X4

03/21/2011 - (2000) Order accepted by GM. Dealer used allocation to place order into production.
04/16/2011 - (6000) Vehicle delivered to customer.

We got a great deal on a 2013 with 900 miles on it or we would have ordered a 2015.

Front - rear splash guards - probably installed by the dealer. I purchased an OEM set and installed them for $79.50

Went with Weather Tech front and rear floor mats and rear cargo liner - $209.00 Have the standard OEM floor mats for the summer. Weather tech will give you better protection (at least for us in snow country).

Sill plates - not sure they worth the cost - I am cheap - I would purchase non-lighted ones and install myself.

You will be happy with the V6 - AWD. I4 is just under powered.

Dealer should be able to make off $1,500 to $2,000 because it is a vehicle ordered and it spends no time on the lot at their expense.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts

NorskeNY said:
Dealer should be able to make off $1,500 to $2,000 because it is a vehicle ordered and it spends no time on the lot at their expense.

I am not sure that you can get additional discount beyond GMS pricing. But, I a agree on your other suggestions.

While I haven't bought that many cars over my many many decades of driving, I have ordered every one of them. Wife and I feel that it becomes OUR car, as opposed to the dealer's car. It is always exciting when the dealer calls to say that your car is being unloaded from the carrier !

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I will have access to allocation and build schedule. Dealer is a friend and I've ordered from him before. He has the production updates sent to me, plus I can check it myself. Yes, aware that I can get the few options cheaper myself piecemeal. Have done that on my last truck. This time, it is winter, I want the stuff put on before we have to drive in the slop of winter. I could save about $40 on the sill plates. They are dealer installed, have to pop a hole I believe, take off kick panels, fiddle with wiring harnesses .. .. They do it. . it's under warranty. Spending an extra $40 is worth my time, skinned knuckles, and aggravation. And. . . I just want 'em. :) Oh. . . the floor mats never got ordered, since they were part of a $300 package I did not want. So will buy better. Thanks, I've heard Weather Techs were good.
These few options are still way cheaper than trying to find a 3.6L like we want without having to buy one on the lot with a $900 sun roof and a $1,400 nav/entertainment package plus.

Rit said:
I am not sure that you can get additional discount beyond GMS pricing. But, I a agree on your other suggestions.

While I haven't bought that many cars over my many many decades of driving, I have ordered every one of them. Wife and I feel that it becomes OUR car, as opposed to the dealer's car. It is always exciting when the dealer calls to say that your car is being unloaded from the carrier !
Yup. . . exciting to order the vehicle we want. I did that on mu 2010 Colorado LT2 Z71. Worked out really well. I am a bit of a vehicle junkie .. :facepalm:
Between myself, wife and 3 kids while they were at home, we've bought +40 cars and trucks in as many years. Probably half of them new. After so many cars, I have gotten pretty clinical about it. My attitude is. . . " I don't need to buy a new vehicle" and it has served me well.
I priced the $700 or so of options I actually ordered on the vehicle and if I had gotten them myself it would be about a $160 savings. I want the things on before I even have to drive it through winter slop and also they are covered for any warranty issue.

·
Banned
190 Posts

I see you're getting GM Employee pricing. I got that when I bought my '14 Terrain. The salesmn, at the time I paid for it asked, "are you a Vet"? He said if you are you can join the USAA and get an additional $750 of on top of all the other incentives. It might be something you could look into to get another discount. Didn't cost anything to join and didnt have to buy anything.

·
Registered
482 Posts

JayTee2014 said:
I will have access to allocation and build schedule. Dealer is a friend and I've ordered from him before. He has the production updates sent to me, plus I can check it myself.
Always interesting to watch the process and progress of the new vehicle, makes the waiting seem easier :)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

agmsuv said:
I see you're getting GM Employee pricing. I got that when I bought my '14 Terrain. The salesmn, at the time I paid for it asked, "are you a Vet"? He said if you are you can join the USAA and get an additional $750 of on top of all the other incentives. It might be something you could look into to get another discount. Didn't cost anything to join and didnt have to buy anything.
Thanks for that info. So are you saying that you got both GM employee pricing and the USAA discount? I wasn't sure those are stackable.

Terra-Nox said:
Always interesting to watch the process and progress of the new vehicle, makes the waiting seem easier :)
Yes, looking forward to the build. I am just hoping that February incentives will be as good as January. Sometimes January GM Card top offs end and then Auto Show/Loyalty discounts start in February. One time in December 2004 all the incentive ducks lined up at the same time and we got a 2005 Maibu Maxx for $7,960 off sticker. That was the most we have ever gotten off on a new car. It was 30% off with all discount incentives and employee pricing. Those days are gone now though. If you can get 15% or so off sticker on most average ($20K to $30K) vehicles that is doing pretty good these days. Except at the end of model year clearance you may do a bit better.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

UPDATE:

I received the order number today and will be able to start tracking next Tuesday. There is a few days window between entering the order and it showing up. Good thing, because I added the engine block heater. I will be checking on Tuesday to see what the status is.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

No matter how old you are or how many times you have done it, ordering a new vehicle is soooo exciting. It's like waiting for Christmas for a small child. I ordered my 2014 Nox on Oct. 1, 2013. I told my dealer I didn't want to follow the order because I'm a person who doesn't wait very well. I told him to call me when it was shipped. Looking back I now regret that because I thought about it every day.

The dealer was invoiced and it was to be shipped from Canada to AZ on Nov. 5th. The dealer called me late on Nov. 19th and said it was in. They wanted to detail and PDI it so they said I could pick it up on Fri. the 22nd. The test drive was a total love afair. The V-6 is so smooth and powerful. I wanted the front two windows tinted to match the rears so Mon. the 25th was my delivery date.

This is my story.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for your story, and it is a bit like Xmas. I agree and understand what you mean. The tinted front windows are a good idea. I may have to ask about that. I don't think my dealer does tinting though and may send it out. In that case, I would check with a local tint shop.

I'll be glad to see the actual order number pop up on GM Connect. Not sure how well that works anymore, but I have another avenue it if doesn't. The dealer said my order is in with 5 others for his stock. They are selling the Equinox and Terrain at a pretty regular pace.

·
Banned
190 Posts

Good thing, because I added the engine block heater.
Geez your not up in Alaska. What about global warning?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

agmsuv said:
Good thing, because I added the engine block heater.
Geez your not up in Alaska. What about global warning?
LOL . . What warning is that? :) It gets cold enough here and I had another vehicle with a block heater that came with it. The wife liked that she had almost instant heat in the winter. Guess, heated seats aren't enough. :eek:hno:
Actually, I used a timer back then and had it turned on the block heater about 3 hours before she goes to work. I think it's a bit better and easy on the engine as well.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The latest on our 2015 Equinox LTZ order:

Thank you. I do see that your vehicle order has been picked up by GM and is in line waiting to move towards production at the plant. This process can take time, is subject to change, and does not mean that the vehicle is physically being built at this time. You do have a Target Production Week (TPW) of 01/12/2015
JayTee [8:56 AM]: I see , May I have the actual event code as of now?
Anjelica [8:56 AM]: 3100

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, it we just received an extra $1,000 top off for GM Card earnings good till 3-2-2015. So that is shaping up for a nice rebate, besides whatever incentives their may be.
I'll be checking on the event code status again, but wait till January 19 or 20. By then it should be in some stage of production.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

Great news, the drama and excitement is building. 4 to 5 weeks is usually the sweet spot for production from order date. After I got my projected ship date it, was exactly 14 days to ship from Ingersoll (CAMI) to Tucson. Of course that's a long ways. My dealer told me it was a possibility that mine would come out of Spring Hill TN. Now that the Captiva is no longer being made, Spring Hill is taking some of the overflow from Ingersoll.

Best of luck

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Im guessing your order was not labeled as SOLD?

Or you have a smaller dealership?

The times Ive ordered cars, (2010 Traverse, 2007 Impala)...
The vehicles were labeled as SOLD- and we were given Order numbers right on the spot.

WHen the vehicles are ordered as sold- they move up in the production. They are given higher priority(up to a certain point).

My understanding is- that the vehicle can be ordered as regular stock-- or sold vehicle.
a dealer can only order x number of cars-- depending on how many they sell.
so a small dealer- can only order a certain number for regular stock-- since they have smaller sales.

A large dealer that sells many many cars per month-- can easily order you car- out of its allowable stock--- or order it as sold.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

rbarrios said:
Im guessing your order was not labeled as SOLD?

Or you have a smaller dealership?

The times Ive ordered cars, (2010 Traverse, 2007 Impala)...
The vehicles were labeled as SOLD- and we were given Order numbers right on the spot.

WHen the vehicles are ordered as sold- they move up in the production. They are given higher priority(up to a certain point).

My understanding is- that the vehicle can be ordered as regular stock-- or sold vehicle.
a dealer can only order x number of cars-- depending on how many they sell.
so a small dealer- can only order a certain number for regular stock-- since they have smaller sales.

A large dealer that sells many many cars per month-- can easily order you car- out of its allowable stock--- or order it as sold.
Oh it is "sold". I had my order number the day it was ordered. Within 5 days I had my TPW of 1-12-2015 and it was at 3100. See my post (12-26-2014) several above. BTW. . .. I worked in a GM plant and pretty aware of the process. ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

This is a large stand alone Chevrolet dealership. My salesman never said if it would be labeled as sold. I picked all the details such as trim, engine, interior and exterior color, etc. But the dealer never asked for a deposit. He did say because of my order date Oct. 1st, he was submitting it with several other vehicles. These others could have been for stock. On my next one I will be sure to have him label it as sold.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts