GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I started my 2015 Equinox the instrument message center indicated that my air bags, tire pressure monitors, and front collision camera needed service. No gauges on the dash were operating, not even the RPM and speedometer operate while driving. They are stuck in the resting position. A couple idiot lights were illuminated. The backup camera was not working. The a/c blower functioned, but the a/c compressor would not come on. Turn signals worked outside the vehicle, but the indicators were dark on the dash panel. The engine worked fine, and the vehicle was derivable. Later in the day I checked most fuses and fouind none were blown. After starting the engine again I noticed that the entire instrument cluster went dead. No messages, no idiot lights, and all gauges still stuck in the resting positions. The service engine light illuminates when the engine is started, then goes out, otherwise the dash cluster is completely dark. The radio works. With the engine running, about every minute or two I hear a click under the dash that sounds like a relay. Whenever I hear the click, the headlights momentarily flash off for a split second.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
When the battery has a low charge, often multiple problems show up. How is your battery ?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
WE see and hear of this kind of issues over and over here on this forum and others . . . .. Never let a battery get weak or old on +2005 vehicles. Aweak battery can cause all sorts of issues with all the electronics in them.

Get a new battery and have the charging system checked. . .
Letting a battery run get low, impaired and to the point of weird symptoms and displays, controls and indicator not working. . can permanently damage them.

NOTE: _ _ _ For you and futures readers. . . If your battery is over 3 to 4 years old, or has been left without being used or used only with short trips. . . . . the battery can get weak.

Just get a new battery every 3 to 4 years. . . and use a Battery Maintainer to keep the charge up if the vehicle is little used or driven in short trips, lot's of stops and restarts, etc.

Spend $200 on a battery and Battery Maintainer of 1.5 to 4 amps capacity = Good Insurance.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions. I replaced the battery with a new one in June of this year prior to a two month trip on the road. I tow this vehicle behind a motorhome, and during this years trip I had an issue with the charging line going from the motorhome to the car so the battery went completely dead about 5 to 6 times (the ignition must be in the accessory position when flat towing so the steering wheel remains unlocked). Yesterday while checking fuses I saw that the voltage at the fuses were about 12.2V. I wish I would have checked the voltage while the engine was running because after starting the vehicle today everything is now working normal again. Instrument cluster and gauges working normally, no "need service" messages, a/c working normally, backup camera working and no clicking under the dash. I'll have to wait and see what happens going forward, but maybe my alternator/regulator is intermittent if it's a low voltage issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've heard of folks who tow vehicles putting in a master cutoff switch to avoid the dead battery issues. Same switch racers use to meet regulations. They can be had with a 300 amp capacity. Summit or Jegs carries them. This way battery is isolated and no drain with ignition in accessory. Yeah presets will be gone but no dead battery issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our friends that we travel with have a disconnect switch on their Ford that works well. When I looked into this earlier on etrailer.com they stated that a battery disconnect switch could not be used on the 2015 Equinox. Not sure why that would be but I'll have to research it further.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Our friends that we travel with have a disconnect switch on their Ford that works well. When I looked into this earlier on etrailer.com they stated that a battery disconnect switch could not be used on the 2015 Equinox. Not sure why that would be but I'll have to research it further.
For one thing, the ECM would likely reset the "Readiness" status. That means, some things that are read by state safety and vehicle inspection time would not pass until X number of driving cycles again.
There are other reasons as well. Trade offs with lots of how to do things in our modern vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts