GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Equinox that developed an engine noise that sounds like it could be related to the serpentine belt or one the pulley bearings. It's kind of a screaching noise, not terribly loud. This started after the dealer repaired an issue with the intake manifold that caused the oil to get foamy. I think there was a drain that plugged and allowed water to build up in the intake manifold. This noise only occurs once the engine is warmed up and continues for a brief moment after turning the engine off (iwhile the engine has momentum and turns over a few more times). If I remove the oil cap, the sound goes away. When I put the cap back on, it takes a few seconds but the sound returns so it's something related to the crankcase pressure.

I noticed on the Cruze forums that some people have similar symptoms as mine and it's a dry crankshaft seal (front). It seems unlikely that something like that could make this klnd of noise. I need to listen more but the sound does seem to be coming from the serpentine belt area.

Curious if others have had similar issues.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,393 Posts
Assuming this is the 2.4L engine? Just guessing here, but could that fixed PCV orifice, which is prone to clogging, cause a noise like that?

Maybe try cleaning that out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming this is the 2.4L engine? Just guessing here, but could that fixed PCV orifice, which is prone to clogging, cause a noise like that?

Maybe try cleaning that out?
Thanks for the response. It is a 2.4L engine. I don't recall exactly what it was the dealership cleared out in my intake but assuming it was the PCV orifice, the problem started after that was done..

The noise and symptoms I have match what I found in this video. The guy fixed it by swapping the intake but it's not real clear on exactly what the problem with the old intake was other than it being dirty.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,393 Posts
Well ... seems like it's a cleanup-type job then? Maybe just remove your Intake (again) and give it (and all the passages you can reach) a good cleanout? I don't think I've seen anybody on this Forum replacing the Intakes on these things. Exhaust Manifolds, yes .... Intakes ... no. So I would start with just cleaning out the Intake as best I could ... what the Dealership should've done (or done a better job of).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts