GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel I might have an issue with my headlights. I do not find them to be very bright at night. It is the first time that I have driven a vehicle where the headlights are the Daytime Running Lights. Normally, the signal light indicator is the DRL.

According to the manual the Equinox lights are supposed to get brighter at night time. No matter what time of day, I do not notice any change in the lights from off / auto / on. I have gone as far as covering the DRL dome, or shining a light into it in order to see if there is a change.

The DRL is detecting when it is bright or dark as it is adjusting my dashboard correctly. I do not recall what the dashboard did when I attempted to simulate a dark environment.

Could the previous owner used some cheap bulb? I do not know where to begin here.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
You may want to try changing the bulbs to see if it makes any difference. But, even with your existing bulbs, you should see "some" difference during the night. If not, your car may have an issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Halogen bulbs do dim over time. If the bulbs are the originals from 5 years ago they may have just naturally dimmed from age.

Replacing bulbs on the 2015 is not a straightforward exercise, but can be done with a little patience and perseverance. You will need to get to them thru the wheel well liners. Chevy used to put an access panel for the headlights in the liners on the 2010-2014 models. Then in 2015 they deleted that access panel requiring the wheel well liner to be unbolted and pulled away slightly to access the lights. The whole liner doesn't need to come off, but you will have to undo the first 5 or 6 fasteners and push pins to pull the liner away with enough room to get to the back of the headlight. You will also want to turn the wheels as well for a little extra room...when doing the driver's side turn the wheels all the way to the right. When doing the passenger side, turn the wheels all the way to the left.

First time I replaced one bulb it took me about an hour. Now I could probably do it in 30 minutes...one hour total for both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts