GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a PO011 code on my 2015 terrain with 2.4L. Changed the camshaft actuator and it's screen was covered with fine nonmagnetic metal. I then changed the oil, and the filter was covered in the same stuff. I am thinking timing chain tensioner is causing it? Should I try changing the timing set or just count on a new engine soon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should note that it seems to be running fine, and had around 3500 miles on the oil change.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
That oil filter looks pretty nasty, you should be changing your oil more often.
My guess is what you are seeing is timing chain tensioner and guide meterial.
A timing chain set with guides and tensioner, and a water pump might be all it needs.

Pull the timing cover and see what it looks like before looking for another engine.
If you are thinking of getting a new vehicle this is a good time to do it.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just out of curiosity, how many miles on your Terrain and what is your normal oil change interval?
Around 80k miles on it, I change the oil whenever the dash light comes on which is usually 6k or so. Valvoline synthetic oil.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I would start changing it 3-4k miles just because ! I would also think about a new vehicle, again just because.

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to use Valvoline synthetic. I used Quaker State's synthetic once and noticed carbon build up on the filter. Nowhere near as much as yours. I switched back to Valvoline and it didn't build up. I thought it was the Quaker State that caused it but now I'm thinking maybe the Quaker State was actually cleaning up the deposits from the Valvoline. So my last oil change I used Pennzoil. I hear it's good. I'll see if there is a difference or more carbon this time. I didn't think it was metal because it didn't stick to a magnet. My wife's 2.4 ecotec hit 100K miles and burns oil now. Was over a quart low after 1500 miles. It also did exactly the same things with the carbon build up when I switched oils. Now I'm changing the oil every 3-4000 miles and not going to use Valvoline for a while to see what happens. Valvoline synthetic might not be worthy of the ecotec.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I would start changing it 3-4k miles just because ! I would also think about a new vehicle, again just because.
I think it's too late. If he;s been waiting "till the light comes on" for 80K miles the damage is done.

I never have done that. 4K to 5K miles on oil and often less in winter if a lot of starts and stops or idling was in play.
With gunky oil and filter like that the pistons and rings are probably pretty gummed up.

Maybe do what one owner here suggested. .. . Buy the stiff below, do an oil change with cheap regular 5w-30 oil. . . add the can of BG cleaner .. . start the engine and run it at a high 1,200 to 1,300 ROM idle for 10 to 15 minutes. . . . drain and put antoher new oil filter in with high quality 5w-30 Full Synthetic Dexos Type 2 certified motor oil and see how it goes.

Amazon.com: Bg109 Bg EPR Engine Performance Restoration 11 Fl Oz From the Makers of 44k: Automotive

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ive seen metal in filters lots of times... to me that is carbon buildup caused by excessive blow by from burning oil/ bad rings... I can specifically tell because its not shiny and it looks like carbon and because that's what the filters do under extreme circumstances they bend like that when their is a lot of pressure when their is metal u can clearly see silver material not black... these filters are loaded to spring out on excessive oil pressure kind of bypassing the filter ( stupid design) but yea the bypass is the filter mechanism and that bending you see on the media is a total sign of excessive blow by in the combustion chamber going to the crankase....very common .... very not good.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yea that's not metal and not guide material if that was guide material oh dang... the guides are not plastic but... ugh i forgot the name of it but its tan/white plastic and would be there in honkin plastic chunks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts