GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if the oil has ever been changed, but I know that sometimes changing the transmission oil will cause damage. Occasionally the transmission acts funny (like a jerk), but it seems like its somewhat normal in these trucks from what I've researched. Should I change it?

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 182k miles
4,736 Posts
@alainrenteria : This is a vehicle you just picked up with an unknown history? If so, I would definitely change all the fluids to "baseline" the vehicle going forward.

But I would just replace the amount of Transmission Fluid that drains out (probably about 4-5 Qts). I wouldn't do any wholesale Flushes. See how it goes after the partial replacement, then maybe do it again in 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Reactions: HP11

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@alainrenteria : This is a vehicle you just picked up with an unknown history? If so, I would definitely change all the fluids to "baseline" the vehicle going forward.

But I would just replace the amount of Transmission Fluid that drains out (probably about 4-5 Qts). I wouldn't do any wholesale Flushes. See how it goes after the partial replacement, then maybe do it again in 6 months or 6,000 miles.
Ok, I'll change tranny and diff fluid. Maybe spark plugs too, not sure yet.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
@alainrenteria : This is just my personal policy when it comes to working on automobiles (others may disagree) ... but I like to make incremental changes. In other words, don't change a bunch of things all at once if you really don't need to. Yeah ... fluids can be done all at once ... you need to get that stuff out of there if it's old ... but if the Plugs aren't giving you any trouble, why not leave well enough alone for now. You can do that as a separate update later. This way, if anything goes sideways on you, you know it's very likely due to the very specific and narrow change you just made. Easier to debug the problem.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
2015 Equinox…173K mikes. Mostly trouble free until I changed tranny fluids & spark plugs between 150K-160K miles…now having issues after both. Hindsight being 20/20, I would’ve just left them alone since I waited so long to begin with. Make sure tranny fluid is full, but I’m one of the ones that wanted so long anyway, probably should’ve just left well enough alone…

Reactions: Crankme69

· Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
194 Posts
To change the filter you are correct, tranny needs to be split open.
But not for a simple fluid change. What engine do you have?
Here is a good thread on the subject...

· Registered
323 Posts
2010 6cyl 3.0

To change the filter you are correct, tranny needs to be split open.
But not for a simple fluid change. What engine do you have?
Here is a good thread on the subject...

· Registered
4,736 Posts
@woulddug : we (me, you, and @hron61 ) all have the same engine (3.0L)! It's SOoooo easy to drain and refill the transmission fluid on these vehicles! Even easier than an Oil Change. Just remove that small (8 or 10mm), rusty-looking bolt/plug on the bottom of the transmission (sits kind of raised from the surface of the Case). Fluid comes straight down in a very narrow stream that you could actually capture with just a jug (although I still use a pan). I typically get 4.5 Qts out, then just refill with this same amount (might be a good idea to check the level when HOT before doing anything ... just in case you're overfilled to begin with!).

And don't overtighten the bolt/plug on reinstall (sorry, I don't have the torque spec handy). Admittedly, I've never used a Torque Wrench on this Bolt/Plug ... I just "snug it up"...

@BandDirector : what's the current status with your Nox? Have there been any further developments since the unfortunate Plug situation? And what was the theory with the Transmission Fluid (??) ... that you switched to Synthetic and this caused problems with your Transmission? If so, did you try flushing and switching back to non-synthetic to see if that made a difference? I think there's something going on with my Transmission, too ... and I've been putting Synthetic through it 4.5 Qts at a time (but only about 4 or 5 times in 182,000 miles since the original factory fluid was in there) ... but I've never thought this issue (which is a "holding back" feeling) was due to the Fluid.

Reactions: woulddug

· Registered
5,440 Posts
Woulddug, it is so easy to do a drain/refill on these.
My 2010 traverse now at 191,400.. ive done 11 trans fluid drains
On 2013 equinox now at 115,000, ive done 8 drain/refills.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
@Colt Hero I changed plugs around 159K when I stripped #6 and I’m now at 173K and still get a regular misfire with interstate driving. I’ve learned to modulate the throttle and sometimes keep the light from staying on, all though it will flash too, but when I do set the light, I just erase the code. Shows up as misfire on #6 every time. I’ll eventually try a helicoil on #6 most likely, but for now I’m just driving it.
I’m putting mileage on it very quickly these days. I lost my father about a year ago and drive 650 mile round trip every 2 weeks to go spend the weekend with my mother to help her out.
As far as the tranny, I’ve still got an intermittent shudder with it too, but it’s no where near as bad as the misfire situation.
I’ve had my deposit down for a new Corvette since Sept., and I expect it to be here around this time next year, so I need the Nox to hold on until then and then I’ll make my decision about its future.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
I did a heli coil on one of my old Sables. 3.0 DOHC motor. I had a plug blow out of the head, firewall side. Tight spot but did it head on the car. Rotated crank so piston was up with valves closed, greased the tap and blew it out with air afterwards. Ran it another 50-60k miles and sold it with 220k miles on it running fine. I put a iridium plug in so it would never have to be replaced in my care again.

· Registered
367 Posts
Either or meaning you either do it from start 30k, 60k etc or don’t touch it until it fails. JMO

· Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
194 Posts
I filled and drained mine 3 times at 145K miles. Trans failed shortly there after.
Yikes...I dont like the sound of that. I did a (one time only) drain and refill with non synthentic ac delco dex6 fluid at 126,000.
All's fine so far, maybe I should just stop there.
I bought the truck used with 112,000 miles on it 4 years ago and when I did the drain it was a pretty red color so that was good to see.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
I filled and drained mine 3 times at 145K miles. Trans failed shortly there after. I have about 15K miles now on the rebuilt unit.
I tell this story from time to time:

My 1997 Taurus wagon went well over 100k miles before I decided to change the transmission fluid. I was on the Taurus Forum saying I wanted to completely transfuse the Fluid. I was repeatedly told not to ... to only change what dropped out of the Pan. I did the total transfusion anyway, using the Ford procedure of draining what came out of the Pan, then overfilling with fresh Fluid to pump out the remaining old Fluid. The transfusion worked beautifully, with the last of the black Fluid coming out right on cue!

But just 400 miles later, the Check Engine Light appeared with a Transmission Code (1200-series), “Excessive Torque Converter Clutch Slippage Detected” (or something similar to that). I started exploring Rebuilds and Replacements, but also continued driving the vehicle. Days, then weeks, then months went by with the Code being cleared and reappearing. Eventually, I transfused all the Coolant (which involved a special cleaning procedure because these systems were notorious for “gunking up”). After I did that, the Transmission Code went away for good, and the vehicle was driven to 240,000 miles!

So - what first appeared to be a Transmission failure was just a false alarm ... possibly something to do with heat buildup, I guessed...

Reactions: HP11

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Yikes...I dont like the sound of that. I did a (one time only) drain and refill with non synthentic ac delco dex6 fluid at 126,000.
All's fine so far, maybe I should just stop there.
I bought the truck used with 112,000 miles on it 4 years ago and when I did the drain it was a pretty red color so that was good to see.
If it came out still red then it was done previously a few times. These transmissions will darken up the fluid easily in 50k miles. You should have seen how dark my '16 was at 45k miles.
If a trans has been neglected a fluid change can only help. If a trans fails after a fluid change it was on its way out already. Most folks change fluid when they detect an issue, pin is already out of the grenade by then when it starts acting up.

Reactions: John04VUE and HP11

· Registered
183 Posts
I tell this story from time to time:

My 1997 Taurus wagon went well over 100k miles before I decided to change the transmission fluid. I was on the Taurus Forum saying I wanted to completely transfuse the Fluid. I was repeatedly told not to ... to only change what dropped out of the Pan. I did the total transfusion anyway, using the Ford procedure of draining what came out of the Pan, then overfilling with fresh Fluid to pump out the remaining old Fluid. The transfusion worked beautifully, with the last of the black Fluid coming out right on cue!

But just 400 miles later, the Check Engine Light appeared with a Transmission Code (1200-series), “Excessive Torque Converter Clutch Slippage Detected” (or something similar to that). I started exploring Rebuilds and Replacements, but also continued driving the vehicle. Days, then weeks, then months went by with the Code being cleared and reappearing. Eventually, I transfused all the Coolant (which involved a special cleaning procedure because these systems were notorious for “gunking up”). After I did that, the Transmission Code went away for good, and the vehicle was driven to 240,000 miles!

So - what first appeared to be a Transmission failure was just a false alarm ... possibly something to do with heat buildup, I guessed...
Mine was already slipping. Once I did the drain and fill it was ok for a little while then sometimes it wouldn't shift from 1 to 2. Eventually it failed. In fact the shop told me they'd do a free fluid exchange at 1 year which is this month. So I'll take them up on it. My next new car I'm going to do trans fluid changes at 30K miles. Short money in my opinion compared to a rebuilt trans.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts