GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dimming of the driver display and screen is for the birds. I bought a 2014 chevy equinox last year 2019 and had no problens with the dimmimg until this year 2020 and it's getting worse a d it does it daily, it dims whether it's sunny or dark outside, it has been to the dealer twice now and I have been told that this is normal and it's a safety feature, well if it's a safety feature then why didn't it do it last year? I can understand it if it dims when it's sunny out and bright but not when it's dark outside and you need to see your driver display and the screen, that doesn't make sense to me, is there any way I can turn it off does anybody have the answer to it, I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
237 Posts
You have the instrument panel brightness control turned all the way up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
From memory, you'll need to select "Settings" on the touch screen Home Page, then select the sub-menu for either "Display" or "Vehicle". That contains a setting which will alter the display lighting. When you find the "Display" menu, select "Auto" so that the MyLink system will automatically adjust the lighting to what is best given the conditions it perceives.

Its in the settings

MY SUGGESTION!
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes like 20 it should reset all your settings to factory... GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have the instrument panel brightness control turned all the way up?
Yes. I have turned the dimmer all the way down and back up again several times as that was a suggestion but it didn't do anything. I've tried turning off my headlights that didn't do anything so I still think there's something wrong with it but the dealer is not helping me in any way and I'm very frustrated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From memory, you'll need to select "Settings" on the touch screen Home Page, then select the sub-menu for either "Display" or "Vehicle". That contains a setting which will alter the display lighting. When you find the "Display" menu, select "Auto" so that the MyLink system will automatically adjust the lighting to what is best given the conditions it perceives.

Its in the settings

MY SUGGESTION!
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes like 20 it should reset all your settings to factory... GOOD LUCK
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly I don't have anything that says display or vehicle to push I have a configuration I've tried that and there is no button or anything to touch on control that that says Auto now what? I just had a new battery put in and that did reset everything but I can not get to the battery as it is not under the hood, it is somewhere under the backseat, stupid place for a battery my opinion only

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea its going to be under the computer right under the hood on the driver side. Kind of a pain what is your trim level? LT? The ambient light sensor is a little dome tiny looking thing on the dash, if you put a piece of electrical tape over it or a sticker that might solve your problem!!

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Putting tape over the sensor might make it be in dim mode all of the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea its going to be under the computer right under the hood on the driver side. Kind of a pain what is your trim level? LT? The ambient light sensor is a little dome tiny looking thing on the dash, if you put a piece of electrical tape over it or a sticker that might solve your problem!!
Thank you so much I will try this I hope this fixes problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Christopher, if I block that little Dome on my Dash will that affect the security on the car?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Christopher, if I block that little Dome on my Dash will that affect the security on the car?
No, you have two security systems.
The immobilizer system works off the transponder embedded in the ignition key.
The theft deterrent system is activated by the interior lock switch or key fob.
The ambient light sensor will show a red light when the theft deterrent system is armed.

In my 2014 LTZ, this is how the dash lights work,
When I start the vehicle in the garage the dash lights are in a low light mode, too low to really see.
After I back out in sunlight, in about 30 seconds, the dash automatically gets brighter to a comfortable level and stays there.

You mentioned that you checked the dash mounted dimmer switch.
Check it at night to see if it is working.
If you cover or tape the light sensor, you will have to manually turn your headlights on and off and you will lose your Daylight Running Lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ambient light sensor will show a red light when the theft deterrent system is armed.

When I start the vehicle in the garage the dash lights are in a low light mode, too low to really see.
After I back out in sunlight, in about 30 seconds, the dash automatically gets brighter to a comfortable level and stays there.

If you cover or tape the light sensor, you will have to manually turn your headlights on and off and you will lose your Daylight Running Lights.

Rednox
Much appreciate your input. Mine also is dim in the garage but when I back out it does not readjust it self it stays dim. I still think there is a problem. I so appreciate everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch along with the Body Control Module controls how bright the dash lights are.
If your switch is defective, that could be the cause of your problem.

Check it at night engine running with headlights on.
Turn the switch all the way left to right, your dash lights should go off to max brightness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch along with the Body Control Module controls how bright the dash lights are.
If your switch is defective, that could be the cause of your problem.

Check it at night engine running with headlights on.
Turn the switch all the way left to right, your dash lights should go off to max brightness.
Thank you, I will try this. All of you should be at the dealership to say the least. Sad that the dealership won't give you this vital info, they rather have you come back time after time just to get your hard earn money. Thank you all for your tips. I will be trying them all, one of them hopefully will work for me. God bless you all. Everyone please stay safe
From Az
Pammy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

[/QUOTE
Thank you!!! , took your advice and turned off my headlights and viola! My speedometer display and radio screen stayed on bright like I want it too. I don't mind turning my headlights on manually as my last car I had too so I'm used to it.
Thank you all for a your wonderful suggestions.
Pammy

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2012 does the same thing. But it flickers back and forth. I think it is the sensor on the dash going bad. Mine only does it in cold weather so it might have something to do with condensation or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Just a FYI if you decide to change your light sensor.
They make two different ones.
One is a light sensor only, and the other adds a sun load function for the HVAC system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts