GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I installed some 20" wheels off a Camaro onto my 2014 Equinox LS and the service tire pressure monitor light turned on and I know it's due to the wheels, Is there any way to disable the system?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
well I installed some 20" wheels off a Camaro onto my 2014 Equinox LS and the service tire pressure monitor light turned on and I know it's due to the wheels, Is there any way to disable the system?
Did you replace or try the relearn for the TPMS?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't put the sensors in the wheels, also how do you relearn it. I just got the wheels with tires and installed them.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
No I didn't put the sensors in the wheels, also how do you relearn it. I just got the wheels with tires and installed them.
You can go to a tire shop like Discount Tire to have the sensors installed in the wheels.
They will then relearn the 4 sensors for you.

You can get a relearn tool off ebay like the one in the link below so you can do it yourself after it's set up.
There is a wide range of relearn tools available from very cheap to better quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I drive the car like this will it cause any problems? Probably just going to order new sensors for these wheels instead of having to change sensors eventide I swap wheels.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If I drive the car like this will it cause any problems? Probably just going to order new sensors for these wheels instead of having to change sensors eventide I swap wheels.
You can drive it like that. You'll just have no tire pressure readings on your Instrument Cluster (probably displaying "---", right?) ... and the flat tire icon will be there all the time, too.

But who cares? It's not your Check Engine Light; it's separate.

Personally, I wouldn't bother ripping the wheels off the rims just to change these sensors. I would try re-programming them first ... either somebody who'll do it for you once for free (maybe a tire store?), OR I'd just buy one of those cheapo handhelds and try doing it that way. Failing both of those, I'd just get in the habit of walking around the car while pumping gas, looking at your tires (or even checking them with a manual gauge) ... probably something you should be doing anyway ... and what most people did before the advent of these TPM sensors. Then, when you get around to buying tires the next time, plan on replacing the sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can drive it like that. You'll just have no tire pressure readings on your Instrument Cluster (probably displaying "---", right?) ... and the flat tire icon will be there all the time, too.

But who cares? It's not your Check Engine Light; it's separate.

Personally, I wouldn't bother ripping the wheels off the rims just to change these sensors. I would try re-programming them first ... either somebody who'll do it for you once for free (maybe a tire store?), OR I'd just buy one of those cheapo handhelds and try doing it that way. Failing both of those, I'd just get in the habit of walking around the car while pumping gas, looking at your tires (or even checking them with a manual gauge) ... probably something you should be doing anyway ... and what most people did before the advent of these TPM sensors. Then, when you get around to buying tires the next time, plan on replacing the sensors.
Yah I always do a walk around the car before driving off anyways, guess I'll get the sensors installed when I switch to the factory wheels with winters. thanks 😊

1 - 7 of 7 Posts