GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just purchased a 2013 SLT-1 Terrain last week.
After the test drive, I attempted to use the remote start option on the key fob and the lights flashed but nothing happened.
The salesman told me it could be a number of things causing this, including not enough gas, the hood not being shut properly etc. He went and put more gas in it and had the mechanic take a look for anything obvious.
He told me that they could not find the reason the remote start would not work. He said it is probably something simple.
I did not let this deter me from buying the vehicle because he told me that it could be that it just needed to be reprogrammed by a GMC dealer and that he would pay for it. I bought the truck and scheduled an appointment.
At the GMC dealership I was told that the Terrain was in a front end collision at some point and that to diagnose and fix the issue with why the remote start wouldn't work would be costly.
The mechanic showed me that the ambient air sensor was missing completely.. he said that could be part of the problem.
He also showed me all the codes that they pulled.
  • B3006 01 Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Battery
  • B0158 05 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Voltage Open
Now, with all that said, my question is this: With the code of Hood Ajar Circuit Short to Battery, why is there no warning showing up on the information center? If I start the truck and pop the hood, the warning of hood ajar comes on..
I am trying to figure out what I should do to diagnose what parts to replace to fix the issue with the remote start not working.
Can anyone help with steps in diagnosing why the hood ajar warning is not coming on but it is showing a short to the battery in the trouble code?
Do you think it's as simple as replacing the hood latch/sensor?
Before you ask, the place I bought it from is an hour away and I don't want to drive two hours round trip and have to deal with them if I don't have to.

Thank you all for reading and any help!

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can try bypassing the hood sensor (splice the wires to complete the circuit) not recommended as a long term fix, just diagnosis. It worked on a Saturn vue for me and then I bought a replacement. Air temp sensor should be cheap and simple to replace yourself as well.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
You have at least two problems here, I would start Air Temp Sensor.

Find the two wires first, buy the sensor, make sure you have the mounting bracket, then mount it and plug it in.
A dark green/white wire goes to pin A on the sensor.
This wire should have 4.8 to 5.2 volts with ignition on.
A yellow wire from the Instrument cluster goes to pin B, this is your ground.

Next the Hood Ajar Switch.
You should have 11.5 volts or greater, key on, on the pink /black wire which goes to pin B on the hood switch.
This wire goes to the Body Control Module connector X-4 Pin #24.
Pin C should be a black wire and going to ground.
If these two wires are good, voltage is good, and switch is adjusted properly, replace the hood switch.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
This is a starting spot.
If you want to dig deeper let me know.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So here's the thing....remote start will not work if your hood is open. Fix B3006 01. Simply close the circuit and the error goes away.

As far as the temperature sensor, it may have not been replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remote start will not work if your hood is open. Fix B3006 01. Simply close the circuit and the error goes away.
I understand that. But why would there not be a hood ajar warning when I start the vehicle if there’s a short? When I pop the hood the hood ajar warning comes on. I close the hood and the warning goes away. So doesn’t that show that the sensor is working?
I’m going to take rednox’s advice and check with my multimeter and I’ll post what I find later. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thew folks who sold the vehicle should have provided a CarFax report. At least then you would have had the vehicle's history. I won a 2012 anmd to use the remote start; you first hit the lock button then the remote start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tonight I was able to check the voltage of the hood latch wiring as rednox301 advised.
I found there to be 12 volts to the wires coming to the latch.
I have ordered a new hood latch and will update when I install it.
The ambient air temp sensor was purchased and plugged in. It is working fine. The outside temp now shows up on the info system screen.
RandiRN, I found my Terrain on Cargurus.com and it said it had no accident history.
Only after the fact when the GMC dealership told me it was in a front collision did the seller tell me that it had hit a deer. Needless to say I am not really happy with them and will never give them my business again for not disclosing what they knew about my vehicle. I am going to pay for a carfax and see exactly what it says. As of right now, it looks like the previous owners might not have turned it in to their insurance when they hit the deer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts