GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 gmc terrain and I went to the store and came our and the fuel gauge does not move at all. The light comes on and off when you first start it. I took our to the shop they can find what the problem is so they said to replace the hole instrument cluster this SUV only has 25,000 miles on it. Is there a way I can fix it. Other than that the truck runs great.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Is there a way I can fix it. Other than that the truck runs great.
Lots to consider here.
It's possible that your fuel gauge is bad, if so the whole cluster needs to be replaced because the cluster is a non-repairable unit.
Easy to do yourself and not too expensive.
However you will have to visit your dealer to reflash the new cluster so the odometer will show your present mileage.
Otherwise only part of the cluster will work and you will see a series of dashes where the odometer is.

The problem could be in the fuel tank with your tank level sensor.
In fact you might have two level sensors in the tank, I do in my 2014 Equinox V-6.
In that case you will have to drop the fuel tank.

Or you could have a wiring, connector, fuse, BCM, etc etc etc problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Two possible things come to mind that may be wrong, either the fuel sender or the gauge cluster as your shop mentioned. BTW was your shop a dealer or independent mechanic? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that with only 25k on a 6 year old vehicle the float on the fuel sender may have varnished up and is stuck. Try using Techron in a couple of tankfuls to see if that works before dropping dollars on a new gauge cluster or pulling the fuel sender/low pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
#PI0926: Fuel Gauge Intermittently Does Not Read Full When Fuel Tank is Filled - (Mar 7, 2013)
Subject: Fuel Gauge Intermittently Does Not Read Full When Fuel Tank is Filled

Models: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Equinox
2011-2013 GMC Terrain

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment when they fill up the fuel tank, the fuel gauge intermittently will not read full.

The primary fuel level sensor and the secondary fuel level sensor change resistance based on fuel level. The engine control module (ECM) monitors the signal circuits of the primary fuel level sensor and the secondary fuel level sensor in order to determine the fuel level. When the fuel tank is full, the resistances of both fuel level sensors are low and the ECM senses a low signal voltage on both the signal circuits of the primary fuel level sensor and the secondary fuel level sensor. When the fuel tank is empty, the resistances of the fuel level sensors are high and the ECM senses a high signal voltage. The ECM uses the signal circuits of the primary fuel level sensor and the secondary fuel level sensor in order to calculate the percentage of remaining fuel in the tank. The ECM sends the fuel level percentage via High Speed CAN-Bus to the body control module (BCM). The BCM then sends the fuel level percentage via Low Speed CAN-Bus to the instrument cluster in order to control the fuel gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts