GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Sorry that my first post will be long but I want to make sure I get all the details in. My Sister-in-Laws 2013 NOx finally throw the timing chain and locked up at 106,000 miles. I have replaced\swapped 5-6 engines so I told her that since the body was still in good ship it would be worth it to order a reman. long block from Advance Auto (Spartan reman. engines) rather than getting a used engine from a junk yard.

After getting the engine reinstalled and followed the initial start up instructions the car seemed to run fine. However after getting up to temp (25-30 min drive on back roads) the car would "diesel" or run on after turning it off. OBDII Codes showed that it was running rich so I replaced the MAF and both O2 sensors. After replacing the sensors and changing the oil (seemed to have gas in it from running rich) the car ran fine and the rick OBD codes did not return. After an hour plus trip the car started running rough and posted a P0017 code for the Crank shaft timing coloration.

After clearing the P0017 code the car seems to be running good but continues to diesel after shut off once up to temp.

My next step is going to be to replace the HPFP as I have read a bunch of threads around that causing fuel in oil that can cause dieseling but they seemed to be focused on the 2010/2011 years.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

New Parts:
reman long block.
Crankshaft sensor
Exhaust camshaft sensor
VVT solenoids.
Spark Plugs
Valve cover
MAF
O2 Sensors.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would clean the throttle body just to make sure carbon isn't keeping it open too much first.
Is it long cranking starting when warm but cold start fine ? That could be a sign of a leaky injector which also could make it diesel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would clean the throttle body just to make sure carbon isn't keeping it open too much first.
Is it long cranking starting when warm but cold start fine ? That could be a sign of a leaky injector which also could make it diesel.
I have not noticed the long cranking when hot but will check it out. I know the throttle body is clean because I cleaned it when putting the Engine back together. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not noticed the long cranking when hot but will check it out. I know the throttle body is clean because I cleaned it when putting the Engine back together. Thanks.
I should have added that I did unplug the fuel injector elect. connection and pulled the spark plugs. Then had someone crank the engine while I looked in cylinders. With the injectors unplugged I could not see any fuel pumping into the cylinder.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would suspect that fuel pump too. Might have had something to do with the original engine failure actually. But gas in the oil, pulling fumes through the PCV causing the run on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts