GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the pistons and rings replaced alongside the chains etc.

Is there anything I should get them to replace or look at while they have it apart?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you’re in a cold-weather area, maybe that fixed-orifice PCV? I think some owners have manually cleaned it out (if not drilled it out to enlarge the opening). You can search the threads on it here.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you’re in a cold-weather area, maybe that fixed-orifice PCV? I think some owners have manually cleaned it out (if not drilled it out to enlarge the opening). You can search the threads on it here.
Don't think they can fix it on 2.4l it's part of the piston replacement coverage to clean it out though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yea if you can help it do not have the cylinders honed too much it will cause them to be .010 over without having oversized pistons, replace balance shaft chain water pump and timing chain. Only run top tier fuels afterward and be gentle for the first couple of thousand miles. Have the computer re tuned to have shorter oil change reminder. Go full synthetic etc.. Have them look at the front main seal on the timing chain cover/replace especially if pcv was clogged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think they hone the cylinder walls according to the coverage bulletin. Says it's unnecessary.
Here's the bulletin number: N192291100
Looks like they replace front cam seal and clean out pcv. Will ask about water pump as I know those are usually replaced alongside timing chain.
Thanks for the tips too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea it is totally unnecessary and could mess it up if they decide to get any bright ideas, I say that because they honed my car and now pistons don't fit well. They re used whatever they could basically everything and used rtv instead of gaskets and re used the valve cover gaskets engine has burned oil in every cylinder from about 65k to 125k and still ran when I tore it apart totally blocked pcv this time and a broken piston and they don't have to take off the balance chain or water pump so that would be extra. After I had the work done and the car still burned oil Chevy literally told me, "I don't see how that's our problem" so monitor the oil level after and document everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts