GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a quick check around the engine while getting gas today and noticed a bolt that was loose. I didnt notice it before, but the bolt was about on it's last thread when I caught it. I've only had the dealership service my engine, but I like to know what I'm explaining when I take it in.

Can anyone tell me what the plate is on the end of the Intake Camshaft, just behind the High Pressure Fuel Pump.?

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Why not just tighten the bolt up, and be done with it. By the time you get to the dealer, the bolt will come all the way out, and will be lost

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
GM was looking for shortcuts on jobs like the water pump ect, they installed these port holes. Last I heard anyone talk about it they called it a diagnostic port hole or something like that. It's useless on the equinox but maybe another car like the polaris slingshot where the reluctors are at the firewall it would be used to see the position of the reluctor. Scouring manuals, the internet ECT nobody really has a name for that part. They were designed on the drawing board and never really used. There is a reluctor position tool that might fit back there but it's a nameless part. Maybe it has a part # stamped on it but I've looked for myself and I can never find the name of it or the water pump port hole.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Check with a wrench and socket, half the bolts will be either be loose or backed out everywhere, its to be expected with the aluminum absorbing more heat and expanding more than the steel hardware. Even the timing chain guide bolts back out and can break.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Possibility, yea but no real oil pressure exists in that area or even close.... Just a thought keep note tighten down that one bolt.... Maybe a reverse hex or torx though... And move on. That is totally a sign though keep in mind the whole block aside from the crank and camshafts are aluminum and all the hardware is steel. Most people don't even get to 150k miles without catostophic failure on a 2.4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It can / will leak oil from the bottom edge, I traced a small oil leak from said cover, I found the O ring gasket on this cover was all twisted, I rebuilt the 2.4L in my 2011 Equinox last year, and had the head re-done at a machine shop, I figured those guys had the cover off, and didn’t get it back on correctly, I never did have it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts