GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cylinder and recently it started getting kind of loud. I found the resonator to be cracked at the weld seam. My question is can the dealership just replace the resonator or will they do the muffler too? I saw that the price of the whole muffler and resonator is $1000 and I obviously don’t want to pay that. Also does anyone think the warranty on the emissions system would cover it? When I called Chevrolet they just said the catalytic converter and any emissions diagnostic system but I would have to get it diagnosed to be sure it isn’t covered. I figure that’s just a grab for money but I would like to know before I spend $120 for diagnostics. Attached are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is that if I just get it welded and not replaced it will just crack in a different area. I will definitely be getting it quoted out soon so we will see what they think can be done with it. I was mostly just trying to see if anybody has had any success with a warranty claim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to look up some videos to see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine did the same thing dealer wont cover it so i went to advance auto got the resonator middle pipe and muffler under 300.00 and muffler and resonator are now stainless steel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the video and the offer. Unfortunately I don’t have the V6 I have the 4 cylinder, I think the resonator delete sounds good with the V6 but I don’t think it would with the 4 cylinder since it is already so loud and basey. I’m also not interested in editing it to accept a dual exhaust. I’m going to go tomorrow to a local muffler shop to see if they can just weld it and if not how much they quote for a replacement. Thanks for all your guys help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I was quoted $250 to replace the resonator by cutting it out and replacing it with a new one and $60 to put a piece of pipe in. I was told they probably wouldn’t be able to weld it because of rust and the fact that it is thin metal. I guess it beats paying $650 for a whole new muffler assembly but dang it seems steep.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
have you looked into the muffler patches- JB weld looking stuff?

theres a bunch of them out there.

heres an example.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Another update, I ended up biting the bullet and getting the $250 resonator replacement. I already think the 2.4 is too loud to want to make it any louder by just using a piece of pipe. I did look into muffler patches but haven’t heard good things about the longevity of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts