GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally was doing this to give me a more spacial sound but ended up giving me alot more bass then I thought I could get from these speakers. Removing that cover gave me so much more room in the trunk as well.

Vid link:
Wood Grey Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Interesting…. I would try to get some grills installed though…hate for groceries to take one out.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Are you running the factory head unit or an amp? Its pretty cool I wonder if they could make one that fills that whole space. Where did you get that anyway?

·
Registered
284 Posts
You could easily build extensions for both ends and fasten to this box. Then simply repaint all to match in colour, Good idea to fill the entire void I think.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Starting the countdown for how long those bare speaker survive before a puncture, smash or outright demise.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting…. I would try to get some grills installed though…hate for groceries to take one out.
Yeah the speakers didn't come with grills but wasw thinking of some printing some.

Are you running the factory head unit or an amp? Its pretty cool I wonder if they could make one that fills that whole space. Where did you get that anyway?
Factory headunit going through a line converter then to a mini amp. I printed this on my 3d printer.

You could easily build extensions for both ends and fasten to this box. Then simply repaint all to match in colour, Good idea to fill the entire void I think.
After I did the video I was thinking about the same thing. I might just redo the whole box and add more speakers to it. I so so many additional speakers I wouldn't mind just throwing into it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Interesting. I don’t have any experience with a 3D printer. Have you thought about replicating the stock sub box with provisions for a 10” sub?

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Really creative, I'm sure with just a little bit of modifications you could sell something like that... That space is the same on all equinoxes... But how does it effect the rear seat sliding forward and back? It's adjustable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I don’t have any experience with a 3D printer. Have you thought about replicating the stock sub box with provisions for a 10” sub?
Since I have the ANC never crossed my mind. But now that you mentioned it. Now I want to try that out. Even just to try it out may be worth it.

Really creative, I'm sure with just a little bit of modifications you could sell something like that... That space is the same on all equinoxes... But how does it effect the rear seat sliding forward and back? It's adjustable.
It does not effect the sliding of the seats at all. This is the main reason I went with 4x6 just to make sure I would lose space for that. I usually have them all teh way bacc anyway just to have the most room for rear passengers.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
3d printing is cool, what kind of printer/ skills would I use to make that? What is the cost associated with making that box like the first one to get started with the printer ect and how much does it cost to print? Would you sell one off ebay or something? I wouldn't mind a couple speakers in the back.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Since I have the ANC never crossed my mind. But now that you mentioned it. Now I want to try that out. Even just to try it out may be worth it.
I’ve got several post around here about modifying the stock box to accommodate a 10” sub, but I am curious about the feasibility of a 3D printed one. JL makes a stealth box for the ‘10-‘17, but it’s over $500!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rethought about this idea and realized why I did do it. Because of the 2 ends of the cover to the rear tire would dig into the box when lifted. Although I don't many times it would be lifted but once may be enough.

3d printing is cool, what kind of printer/ skills would I use to make that? What is the cost associated with making that box like the first one to get started with the printer ect and how much does it cost to print? Would you sell one off ebay or something? I wouldn't mind a couple speakers in the back.
Most all printers would work. Currently using a Ender 3 V2. As far as skills needed, honestly its more patients and problem solving is mainly needed. 3D printing is easy but there so many problems that can occur and no yt video I've seen ever really make people aware of it. Once you get aprinter and know what settings to use (this varies so much depending on you location, climate, the filament.... as I said before the number of things that go wrong is very long but once you figure that out its easy. Since I already had a 3D printer for other projects so really the only cost for me was teh filament which I order tons of so really cost me less then $7 worth of materials to build. Normally would said even then most people would maybe only cost them $20 max of materials. I wouldn't mind selling these since it would give me more of a reason to try out different styles or design ideas.

I’ve got several post around here about modifying the stock box to accommodate a 10” sub, but I am curious about the feasibility of a 3D printed one. JL makes a stealth box for the ‘10-‘17, but it’s over $500!
The costto make one would be insanely less then that. Unfortunately I only have extra 12" subs so would have to find a cheap 10 to try out that idea. This wouldn't take long to print and possibly could make a bette/largerr box.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I rethought about this idea and realized why I did do it. Because of the 2 ends of the cover to the rear tire would dig into the box when lifted. Although I don't many times it would be lifted but once may be enough.

Most all printers would work. Currently using a Ender 3 V2. As far as skills needed, honestly its more patients and problem solving is mainly needed. 3D printing is easy but there so many problems that can occur and no yt video I've seen ever really make people aware of it. Once you get aprinter and know what settings to use (this varies so much depending on you location, climate, the filament.... as I said before the number of things that go wrong is very long but once you figure that out its easy. Since I already had a 3D printer for other projects so really the only cost for me was teh filament which I order tons of so really cost me less then $7 worth of materials to build. Normally would said even then most people would maybe only cost them $20 max of materials. I wouldn't mind selling these since it would give me more of a reason to try out different styles or design ideas.

The costto make one would be insanely less then that. Unfortunately I only have extra 12" subs so would have to find a cheap 10 to try out that idea. This wouldn't take long to print and possibly could make a bette/largerr box.
Without the limitations of trying to use the factory box to modify, I think there’s room to make the front of it big enough to accommodate a 12” sub, but I think getting more than .5 cu ft of air space would be a challenge…

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Without the limitations of trying to use the factory box to modify, I think there’s room to make the front of it bug enough to accommodate a 12” sub, but I think getting more than .5 cu ft of air space would be a challenge…
Space would definitely be the challenge. Was thinking I may be able to get more and depper sound doing a 6th order hybrid bass reflex with 2 6.5's. While the 12 would definitely hit harder 2 6.5's may be alot smoother.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Space would definitely be the challenge. Was thinking I may be able to get more and depper sound doing a 6th order hybrid bass reflex with 2 6.5's. While the 12 would definitely hit harder 2 6.5's may be alot smoother.
Converting the stock box to handle a 10 works well with a 10 designed for .5 cu ft like the Eclipse sub(s) I use…

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Converting the stock box to handle a 10 works well with a 10 designed for .5 cu ft like the Eclipse sub(s) I use…
So after doing some research building a box for this would be pretty easy. Especially taking The JL audio version as a base. There speaker is designed for a 0.55cu ft. Because of thiccness of their box and size (eye balling) you could get more then their box easily. The outer diameter of their speaker is 10.5 so taking that into account that gives of about 11in width keeping another 10 at the same height. A 12 might work but you would really be trying to scrape every mm trying to get that to fit. But if I was to use a micro sub instead this would be insanely easier.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
…if you could design a box that would get a 12 in behind the stock grill for $200-$250, even I would be interested! Is there money to be made at that price point?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
…if you could design a box that would get a 12 in behind the stock grill for $200-$250, even I would be interested! Is there money to be made at that price point?
Yes, 12in might be possible. Really depends on how far it can come out.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
😒I actually threw away my factory subwoofer and the box immediately when I found out it was for anc. My only thaught was gm put a 30 pound subwoofer in the car to save gas? Such a waste of money for my gas and purchase price of the car I was heated. Also never had any problems with "active noises" in the car I will go out of my way to not buy another car with anc. I thought the subwoofer was for music when I got the car. That combined with the 2.4 😯 I was like? Still confused. Why would gm create such a monstrosity?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts