GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2013 3.6 Equinox Stuck in second gear

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  christopherlompoc 
#1 ·
Hello from Las Vegas.

2013 Equinox 3.6 LTZ
110,000 miles

Driving down from the 7th level of a parking garage in a steep grade, my Nox "bucked" and engine light came on. As I left the structure I noticed it accelerated faster than normal. I soon realized it was because it was in second gear and only second gear. As it heat soaked and was fully warm, it wasn't as peppy from stop. Codes are P0756 P0700. Cleared codes and all gears returned.

I am aware of the issue requiring the replacement of the electronic control body inside side cover and reprogramming to resolve and feared that. I am not a trans guy, so I am wondering from you all is that repair in my future? Should I do it prior to a permanent failure or is this unrelated?
Original trans fluid as far as I know. I am the second owner since 100K and about a year ago.

#3 ·
Yes, low or dirty trans fluid can cause that code. Bucking I would say is low fluid especially at a angle. Although you threw a p700 the computer is only estimating a guess it could be anything in-between codes p0700- p0756. Before damage takes place you will notice it whining maybe riding first gear or rough shifting. The transmission could totally fail on you with dirty fluid alone but its unlikely dirty fluid would cause a problem with one of the shift solenoids... more like clogs burn out a torque converter something like that. The solenoids can go out anytime unrelated to the fluid bieng clean or dirty but your probably throwing that code because the level of the fluid in a particular spot inside the trans from it having a difficult time pumping fluid. I'd say that they are working properly since you threw those codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.