GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Terrain 2.4 has 125K miles on it. Out of nowhere it has started stalling sometimes, when taking off from a stop. It will hesitate for a second and then stall when you touch the accelerator. It starts back up and runs fine for a while then does it again. No CEL or Codes. I replaced the Cam Position Actuator Solenoid Valve 12655421 about 20K miles ago do to a CEL and codes but no symptoms. A little confused about what this might be considering no codes. I remember reading at the time there was a second Solenoid Valve, could this be the issue? Any other ideas? Don't have a lot of experience on these Ecotec engines, all my other vehicles have V8 engines. Thanks

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Do some reading on this forum on the 2.4L.
Two things to watch is your engine oil level and timing chain wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done quite a bit of reading, seems like I'm not the only one who has seen this but most have CEL codes to guide them. I had the piston and ring replacement done around 80K not sure if they would have replaced the chain then, probably not. I keep the oil changed regularly with Mobil 1 and since the piston/ring job, it has not consumed an unusual amount of oil. I went ahead and bought the other solenoid valve I didnt replace last time and cam position sensor. Sounds like that was the cause of this issue for some. I don't like replacing random parts but I don't have much to go by and it sounds like these tend to go by now anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2013 Terrain 2.4 has 125K miles on it. Out of nowhere it has started stalling sometimes, when taking off from a stop. It will hesitate for a second and then stall when you touch the accelerator. It starts back up and runs fine for a while then does it again.
Does the following sound like what you are experiencing?

"The canister purge solenoid — also referred to as an EVAP canister valve — is responsible for “purging” the EVAP system by acting as the switch that allows the vapor into the engine. When the purge solenoid fails, it will cause problems for the EVAP system, which will affect the vehicle’s emissions output levels. Usually, a bad purge solenoid will display any of the following symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential problem in need of servicing.
1. Rough Idle
One of the first symptoms that a faulty canister purge valve may produce is a rough idle. In this case, you will notice the car running inconsistently while stopped or driving at low speeds. If the canister purge valve fails and sticks open, it will create a vacuum leak that can affect the engine idle speed and quality. A vacuum leak can also be caused by a broken or damaged purge solenoid or any of the hoses attached to it. It needs to be addressed as soon as possible, as it could lead to your engine stalling completely.
2. Poor Engine Performance
On top of a rough idle, a vehicle with a failing EVAP canister purge valve will display signs of poor engine performance. The engine may feel like its running “weak” and won’t generate sufficient power for acceleration. Accelerating will feel like you’re pressing the pedal down and moving slower. The disrupted combustion process caused by the failing purge solenoid will lead to slow acceleration that needs to be addressed for repairs right away."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the following sound like what you are experiencing?

"The canister purge solenoid — also referred to as an EVAP canister valve — is responsible for “purging” the EVAP system by acting as the switch that allows the vapor into the engine. When the purge solenoid fails, it will cause problems for the EVAP system, which will affect the vehicle’s emissions output levels. Usually, a bad purge solenoid will display any of the following symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential problem in need of servicing.
1. Rough Idle
One of the first symptoms that a faulty canister purge valve may produce is a rough idle. In this case, you will notice the car running inconsistently while stopped or driving at low speeds. If the canister purge valve fails and sticks open, it will create a vacuum leak that can affect the engine idle speed and quality. A vacuum leak can also be caused by a broken or damaged purge solenoid or any of the hoses attached to it. It needs to be addressed as soon as possible, as it could lead to your engine stalling completely.
2. Poor Engine Performance
On top of a rough idle, a vehicle with a failing EVAP canister purge valve will display signs of poor engine performance. The engine may feel like its running “weak” and won’t generate sufficient power for acceleration. Accelerating will feel like you’re pressing the pedal down and moving slower. The disrupted combustion process caused by the failing purge solenoid will lead to slow acceleration that needs to be addressed for repairs right away."
Thanks for the feedback! Just saw this as I never got an alert. What you typed is similar but it does not say anything about the stalling out so not sure if it would be related or not.

I did go ahead and replace the Rear Cam Position Sensor 12674704 and the Intake Side Cam Solenoid 12679099 and so far the problem has not re-occurred. I had already replaced the Exhaust Cam solenoid about 20K ago due to a CEL. With the virus we have not been driving much but so far it has not stalled again. I will probably replace the front Cam position sensor as well (same p/n). Based on reading the forums, these and the cam solenoids are a common cause of this issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bad evap purge valve

Rough Idle
If your car engine has a rough idle, then it is no longer running smoothly. It will run at an inconsistent rate as you’re driving, especially when stopped at a stop sign or red light.
The longer you continue to let this problem persist, the more consistently your engine will run.
===>>>>. The worst point will be when your engine stalls altogether.<=======
Try not to let it get this out of hand. Usually, when the purge valve is to blame for the rough idle, it will cause a vacuum leak which will impact the idle speed.

https://oards.com/bad-vapor-canister-purge-valve-symptoms/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad evap purge valve

Rough Idle
If your car engine has a rough idle, then it is no longer running smoothly. It will run at an inconsistent rate as you’re driving, especially when stopped at a stop sign or red light.
The longer you continue to let this problem persist, the more consistently your engine will run.
===>>>>. The worst point will be when your engine stalls altogether.<=======
Try not to let it get this out of hand. Usually, when the purge valve is to blame for the rough idle, it will cause a vacuum leak which will impact the idle speed.

https://oards.com/bad-vapor-canister-purge-valve-symptoms/

Thank for the additional info! If the problem re occurs, I'll look to this next. I normally don't like throwing parts at problems but with no Codes, I don't have much to go on. Any so far with the parts I've bought I'm still about half what one hour of diagnostic time would be at the dealer so no regrets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2014 Terrain 2.4 stalled only when starting and after about 30 seconds after. Never stalled after that or at low speeds. I replaced throttle body, engine doesn't use any oil, pcv clear, my 2014 has 60k miles. A few days ago I replaced spark plugs and evap purge valve. I've only had the Terrain for 12,000 miles, but it runs way better now, was suprised the gap was so far off at 60k miles. In trying to fix the issue I replaced the vvt solenoids also, get oem when you do, aftermarket a lot have them go out quickly. Since I did the evap and plugs I noticed the rpms sit higher at idle, so far zero stalls, but is warmer weather and seemed like it stalled more on colder days. If stalls again could be the peddle sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts