GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 terrain 175000 miles went to start it and wouldn’t start dash showed “reduced engine power “ I didn’t hear the fuel pump turn on either when I turn the key to on but dash lights come on.
I did notice that when I go to crank it and let go of the key that it stays in the crank position ( and continues to crank on its own) for about 4 seconds before the key leaves the crank position. Any thoughts what my be causing this?
No problems in the pst or leading up to this.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just for fun, did you try to jump it off to make sure it wasn’t a battery problem?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Need to scan for codes since something must have been set with the reduced message.
Code scan is the first step nowadays.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
if I understood correctly- you turn the key to the crank position- and it does not SPRING back on its own when you release.

On these cars- when you turn the key to crank, you can release... the computer will take over the cranking and crank until it starts--- or it times out and computer stops the crank- to avoid damage to starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I understood correctly- you turn the key to the crank position- and it does not SPRING back on its own when you release.

On these cars- when you turn the key to crank, you can release... the computer will take over the cranking and crank until it starts--- or it times out and computer stops the crank- to avoid damage to starter.
Correct it does not spring back until the cranking is done

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hmm 🤔 well if there's no spark its probably a crankshaft position sensor u could unplug a coil and get a extra plug pop it on ground it off the valve cover check for spark don't attempt to start like that without a plug in that hole or possible fireball. U mention that the fuel pump isn't coming on in the tank? It would be hard to hear from inside the car... Anyways fuel pressure sensors gone bad would make it difficult to start but it may stumble to life..The car knows the problem since u got reduced engine power message there's a code stored in there I would check if before removing anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not hearing the fuel pump sounds pretty suspicious. Maybe check the "fuel control" fuse under the hood. I figured out that was the fuel pump fuse since they don't actually label it "fuel pump". When I pulled that and started it to relieve the fuel pressure the poor man's way, I can vouch for the fact that it will keep cranking when you let go of the key. If you're not smelling fuel at the exhaust pipe after cranking it, then I suspect you have fuel pump problems.

I did get a check engine light and the "reduced power" message as it ran for a short time while the pressure bled down after I pulled the fuse.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yea that doesn't really cause a reduced engine power code... could you use the scanner and check the ecm voltage? If you have below 12v while cranking the battery is bad.... u gotta have enough cold cranking amps to run the starter, lights and ignition accessories...if it dips too much it will crank but not start...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea that doesn't really cause a reduced engine power code... could you use the scanner and check the ecm voltage? If you have below 12v while cranking the battery is bad.... u gotta have enough cold cranking amps to run the starter, lights and ignition accessories...if it dips too much it will crank but not start...
Ok I will try and see what the scanner shows in a bit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed voltage was good replaced the ignition switch ( gm part number 23276089) it started up just fine. Thanks to everyone that replied and gave me some direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts