GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
We love everything about it except that too! It does get on your nerves because it does it a least once a drive it seems, our light hasn't been on in over year but doesn't feel any different. Hopefully the recorder will solve it! Glad you have a helpful service department!

Admittingly - I didn't read this whole thread, but here's my thought: have any of you try to decarbon the engine? Supposedly, the direct injection technology leads to higher probability of misfires due to carbon build up.

Did any of you try running the Techron fuel additive through a few tankfuls? Or perhaps a heat soak with Seafoam?

I've read a lot about the carbon and DI's and tried the techron, the thing that makes me think it's not all carbon is it's done it since it was new and less than 500 miles.

terrainguy95 said:
... is it's done it since it was new and less than 500 miles.
Oh yeah, in your case, I wouldn't suspect carbon either.

But maybe helpful for the others who have lots of misfires?

It would be worth a try! :) I didn't have any luck, it's weird how we all experience the same thing at the same speeds and rpm

Chas said:
Admittingly - I didn't read this whole thread, but here's my thought: have any of you try to decarbon the engine? Supposedly, the direct injection technology leads to higher probability of misfires due to carbon build up.

Did any of you try running the Techron fuel additive through a few tankfuls? Or perhaps a heat soak with Seafoam?
The dealer did a "full decarboning of the engine" by adding GM fuel cleaner into a vaccum line and letting it soak. It helped a little but the problem was still there. In my case there was no CEL either, but there was a pending P0300 code they found...

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
They did a whole decarb thing with no help. Also have run numerous cleaners and did everything possible. Just hoping the recorder shows something. I dropped it off Friday. Keep our fingers clossed that some form of fixture is available.

Hopefully they will see something because I'm sure it is the same thing for all of us. I am glad your service department is helping you unlike ours. Fingers crossed!

This is simply a horribly designed transmission. My 2012 Terrain trans slams into gear like if it were low on fluid. Dealer even admitted to me it was a terrible design and theres nothing you can do about it. GM Could care less, look at them on TV with the recall issue they ignored and cost people their lives. You think they are worried about a tranny? lol GM should get out of the auto industry and start making candy bars

techaholic said:
This is simply a horribly designed transmission. My 2012 Terrain trans slams into gear like if it were low on fluid. Dealer even admitted to me it was a terrible design and theres nothing you can do about it. GM Could care less, look at them on TV with the recall issue they ignored and cost people their lives. You think they are worried about a tranny? lol GM should get out of the auto industry and start making candy bars
Lol dude your dealership is obviously dumb and doesn't want to fix your car. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way these transmissions are designed. Take it to a different dealer and get the trans reflashed. It will then shift awkwardly for a while before it smooths out. This is because it's learning your driving style.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Update on my 2012 Terrain problem. Well per the mechanics suggestion I kept the recorder for two weeks. He told me to turn it on when I started the vehicle, hit the red button everytime I thought I felt the misfire and then bring it back and they would download the info. So I returned it and the very next day the service manager called me and said did the mechanic tell me that the recorder only held 4 occurances. I said he told me to keep it two weeks and hit it everytime I felt something. He said that was incorrect and it only had the last 4 times I hit the button. I feel like I wasted my time and told him that I was very displeased with the incorrect info. He told me to bring in the vehicle and they would give me a loaner for the 4th time and would keep it for 3-4 days and have the mechanic drive it back and forth to work if that was ok with me. I said sure only if it was in an accident or something happened to it that they would be responsible. He said they would be so he gave me a 2012 Enclave service loaner. Awesome vehicle by the way. Took it on a road trip to WV to visit family. When I took it back yesterday(Wednesday) he said they replaced all 6 coils and sparkplugs. Still no codes. He said if that didn't work then they would try something else. The mechanic that drove it for 4 days said he felt the misfire or whatever it is. Also he said if I was interested in trading the vehicle due to the problem he would talk to the regional GM rep and see if they could get me a good deal and that he could get me an additional 2-3 thousand off of what ever GM would do. Just waiting on a phone call from him. I gotta say they are trying their best to get it right. They even filled the tank up and detailed the Terrain. I told him to get me a price on the Enclave loaner vehicle. Its a 2012 with only 15,000 miles on it. Great condition and sweet smooth ride.

Man as long as they kept giving me a great loaner vehicle I wouldn't every want the problem with the Terrain to go away!

All jokes aside, it's good to hear they are working with you. It does sound like this problem isn't a wide spread issue or you would expect them to be able to address the issue more directly. Good luck - I hope you get resolution in one way or another soon. Thanks for the updates. Us with the same make and model have an interest in your issue.

I'm glad they are working with you and hopefully this fixes it so we know what to get our dealer to try on ours, it was missing pretty bad last night but still no codes! Keep us posted! :)

I am surprised it took this long to change coil packs and plugs.. as many times as they have had it this should have been done a while ago. Being the scan tools the dealer SHOULD have... they could have checked real time to see the voltage to each individual coil pack while driving. but good to hear they are doing something on this matter. I would consider trading it in if the issue continues...

Discussion starter · #56 ·
They did change one of the coils and plugs previously but now after changing all 6 it seems to run better but I still get the misfire or whatever you want to call it but not as bad. They worked a really good deal for me to trade out of the 2012 to a 14 Denali. They said they coud get me what is called a goodwill certificate for $2,000 dollars. Its for people who have had problems and wanna trade out. Can you believe we had the deal done and they were calling the GM rep to get approval and he said no due to me having 3,500 miles left on my Certified Preowned warranty. NOw does that make sense? Here I am willing to buy another GM product... to be exact a $40,000 Terrain Denali loaded. The service manager and sales manager have gone the extra mile for me. Its no their fault. WHen the service manager told me he refused to issue the certificate until the warranty is out I was pissed. The dealership said once I get out of warranty they will still honor the deal. Probably will take me a couple of months to get that many miles. HELP ME GM REPSwho are reading this on here. I wanna buy a new GM product but can't!!!!!!!!

Main intermittent Computer brain problem? Could be a loose component on the printed circuit board? Or cold solder joint somewhere on the board. Just another thought.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
I totally agree. It sounds like a computer/electrical problem. I get great gas mileage on my V6 so I don't thiink its internal. Went to the beach about a month ago and got 27mpg. Not too shabby for a V6. Just irritating when your driving and it acts like a burp or misfire or whatever you want to call it. The dealership has bent over backwards to make it right but since there are not codes its hard to fix. Waiting to see if the GM person on here will message me so I can talk to them about the goodwill certificate and what the rules are. I'm ready to sigh the papers today if they give me that $2,000 towards the Denali.

Dmax121 said:
I totally agree. It sounds like a computer/electrical problem. I get great gas mileage on my V6 so I don't thiink its internal. Went to the beach about a month ago and got 27mpg. Not too shabby for a V6. Just irritating when your driving and it acts like a burp or misfire or whatever you want to call it. The dealership has bent over backwards to make it right but since there are not codes its hard to fix. Waiting to see if the GM person on here will message me so I can talk to them about the goodwill certificate and what the rules are. I'm ready to sigh the papers today if they give me that $2,000 towards the Denali.
Maybe you can ask the dealer to "roll" your odometer forward a few thousand miles. It is probably only illegal to deduct miles, not add them ! LOL

Did they offer you invoice pricing plus the $2,000 or just sticker price with the goodwill certificate?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.