GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Dmax121 said:
Gonna replace my torque converter and a few other parts.......GM told him that they had a few complaints about the same problem. Any suggestions?
Keep us updated as to what all they change and if it solves the issue. I am still having the exact same issue in my 2012 3.0 V6 Equinox!!!!

Discussion starter · #22 ·
UPDATE.... I am taking the Terrain in tomorrow for a torque converter changeout and something else but not sure. They are giving me a Enclave to drive. I gotta say the Service Manager at the dealership I bought it from is really trying to figure out what is going on. He said we will start with this and then if it doesn't work we will do something else. He actually felt it several times when he did the ride along. The laptop they had hooked up while driving showed everything normal but as we know something is wrong somewhere. Not sure if its an engine miss, torque converter or what although the computer says no. I love the vehicle but even my wife, who drives it most of the time is starting to complain about it. I'll let everyyone know the outcome after we drive it for a while.

Dmax121 said:
What are they telling you OverRHeads ?
I have not taken mine to the dealer for a while. The service manager doesn't seem as proactive as yours to try things and figure out the issue. He refers to the fact that there are not codes being thrown and the laptop and freeze frames showed that everything was normal when the symptom occurred. His best suggestion was that he would check for engine ecm or transmission control updates when I brought it in for oil changes, etc. I am not satisfied with this answer but, until I have something else to go on, I am in a "wait for a code" pattern. :banghead: :thumbdown:

I have great hopes that your service manager will find the culprit and I can go to my dealer and let them know that I have the answer to the problem that they should have been able to find!!!!!

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Dropped the Terrain off this morning and I had a brand spankin new Enclave waiting on me. The service manager said it should be done by Friday. He's very supportive and proactive. We will see what happens in the end. That's why I like the smaller dealerships. They tend to take things more serious than just getting you I and out. Just my opinion. :beer:

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Well I got the Terrain back on Friday as promised. After replacing the torque converter and the tranny fluid Itzel is much better but still has the jerky thing going on. It's not nearly as bad but still there. I am gonna call the service manager Monday and talk to him. he said there's a few kore things they could try. He didn't say what but they are trying to fix the problem. Might insist on a good deal on a 2014 Terrain Denali. Not gonna settle for the GM answer of "this is normal for the. Vehicle" This guy doesn't accept that BS!!!!

Dmax121 said:
Well I got the Terrain back on Friday as promised. After replacing the torque converter and the tranny fluid Itzel is much better but still has the jerky thing going on. It's not nearly as bad but still there. I am gonna call the service manager Monday and talk to him. he said there's a few kore things they could try. He didn't say what but they are trying to fix the problem. Might insist on a good deal on a 2014 Terrain Denali. Not gonna settle for the GM answer of "this is normal for the. Vehicle" This guy doesn't accept that BS!!!!
Anything new? Did they decide to change anything else?

Dmax121 said:
I haven't been following the whole thread, so I'll just throw this out there. If it shifts jerky, especially on the downshifts, that could be the software that controls the transmission. The only thing to do is get the latest update. If you have the latest update, there isn't anything else you can do (if it is the software). This has been a problem with out 2010 Equinox since we got it, and they only came out with one new calibration (in Sept. 2009 - we bought it in July 2009) and it made things better but still not great. It is one of the reasons why we'll probably get rid of it within the next year.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Update: I have had a brand new Lacrosse as a loaner since Friday. As of Monday when I talked to the service manager he has not got it to repeat the things it's doing for me. Three times in the last 2 weeks it's almost stalled when I have come to a stoplight. It idles down to the point when I thought it was gonna die then it came back up. He is hoping it gets worse so the computer will throw a code. Gotta give they credit. They are trying everything and giving me brand new vehicles as loaners. Probably gonna pic it up tomorrow. I just hope it throws some codes soon. Love the vehicle.wish it was fixed. Does anyone know what the lemon laws are in North Carolina? This makes the third time it's been in the shop for the same problem and the service manager and tech felt the missing. Any suggestions?

It is a little troubling that dealerships seem to only be able to fix something if there is a trouble
code. There has to be things that can go wrong that may not have an associated code; especially
if there is more that one issue. People used to be able to fix things before they were computerized.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Update: Picked the Terrain up yesterday. Still no codes thrown. The service manager did change the #1 cylinder coil and plug. Before they changed the #6 coil and spark plug. Also they cleaned the throttle body. It seems to have a little more power but low and behold its doing the same shuttering-missing-whatever you wanna call it. He was very apologetic and said as soon as they find whats wrong they will fix it. Again he said we can only hope it gets worse and throws a code. He has went over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. I'll give him credit he is trying. He even drove it to and home when he was working. He had asked me previously if that was ok and I didn't mind. My wife and I love the vehicle and how it drives and handles. Its just anoying when it sputters or misses..however you wanna describe it. Gas mileage is good. He said the almost stalling at the redlights x 3 times could be from where they had the battery disconnected and the computer was trying to learn the idle again. Haven't had that problem since the same day I picked it up the last time it was in the shop so he might be right there. I can only hope one day soon the computer pics up something and codes it. Time will tell for sure. :beer:

Iliketerrain said:
It is a little troubling that dealerships seem to only be able to fix something if there is a trouble
code. There has to be things that can go wrong that may not have an associated code; especially
if there is more that one issue. People used to be able to fix things before they were computerized.
Or tech not checking to see if there maybe a bulletin by describing symptom in GM system.

Iliketerrain said:
Agree - fortunately, when you have a flat tire, it sets a TPMS error, otherwise the dealer would say that there is nothing wrong with your car because the MIL is not lit !

LOL

dmax.. ask the dealer to try and install a new pcm.. I only suggest this for I do HVAC. and I do have cases where equipment does stuff yet our pcm's dont pick up problems. not saying it may work with your car issue.. yet however it may help to suggest this. if the car has a ruff idle or even this stalling or shutter it may even be the pcm. for it to be going this long and no codes.. doesnt add up. I have had cars do this in the past when working at the family shop.. and just by chance..dumb luck or the assumed guess it worked. but again like I said it is just a suggestion. they may not want to do it but hey the worst they can say is no.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Davek I just called the servie manager and told him the Terrain was still missing. Saturday the wife and I had alot of errands to run and it was even missing on the Interstate which was a first. Usually it was between 35-50 mph and 1500-200 rpms but now it was missing going 65 mph I called the service manager today and told him what was going on and asked about the PCM and if it would help if we changed it. His response was "we just can't start throwing parts on there because other people have done that". I understand what hes saying about replacing stuff at random but when asking him why no codes were showing up and they have replaced coil #1 and #6 and both plugs his response was we need to get it to do it for the technician. I had a guy ride with me and he felt it but hes not the mechanic. Also the service manager took the vehicle home for three days and drove it back and forth to work and home and said he didn't feel anythiing. Starting to get frustrated. My wife, who drives it mostly, is getting pretty annoyed. There is something wrong with the vehicle bottom line. A SUV, car or anything with an engine should not be misfiring. Don't know why its not showing up on the codes but its not. Any suggestions from anyone?

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Well I took the Terrain back in last week with the same problem of it misfiring. The service manager had the mechanic ride with me and he plugged his laptop into the main computer as I drove. Of course there were only a few instances of the misfire. He suggested a recorder that fits in the upholder to record the vehicles computer. The red button on the top is to be pushed when I feel a misfire. He said it marks the trend when he prints it out and he goes back three minutes and ahead three minutes to view the printout. I am keeping this for two weeks. Have hit it several times while driving so hopefully they can determine where it's occurring. They want to fix the problem but gotta know what's wrong first. Hopefully this trending of the main computer will show where it's coming from. They are frustrated too. It only happens sporadically. It's not like a constant misfire. Just enough to irritate you. He said if it was a constant misfire it would throw a code for sure. Getting really irritated. My wife even notices it. Shes hit the red button several times while driving it. Just want the engine to be smooth and no problems. Other than this I love the vehicle.

Well glad to hear they are putting in the data recorder... maybe that will narrow down the problem.. good luck with it.. hope it all gets solved..

Our 2012 GMC Terrain with the 3.0L V6 does the exact same thing! It tends to miss or shudder from a stoplight or when driving under load. We've been to the dealer because the Service Engine Soon light came on (blinking) along with the service stabilitrak system message right when it was new, less than 1,000 miles. By the time we got it to the dealer, the light was off and they said they couldn't do anything since the light wasn't on at that time. They read the computer and it had around 14,000 misfires, they didn't specify if it was on one cylinder or not, but they said just drive it until it blows up. The dealer documented that we also had 1 quart of fuel in the oil and we had the fuel pump and injectors replaced. That fixed the fuel in the oil problem, but not the miss. The light has been on several times but none recently. It has about 23,000 miles now and you can still feel it miss/ shudder and more frequently after it is warmed up. I'm looking forward to see what happens with the data recorder! Hopefully we can all figure out what this is!

Discussion starter · #40 ·
terrainguy95 I wish one of my lights would come on. Never had anything pop up. I'm taking back the recorder on Friday. My service department has been great but they cannot replace something if they don't know what the problem is. I love the vehicle but it just gets on my nerves when it does the miss, shutter thing. My gas mileage is good too. I'll keep the forum informed when hopefully find out what the problem is.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.