GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a new 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2 this past weekend. I've come to the conclusion I have no chance of getting Pandora/Bluetooth music to work, so I accepted that GM hosed me and moved on to plugging my phone in via USB.

I have a HTC Evo 3D, but when I plug it into the outlet the system doesn't recognize there is a device plugged in. I tried with the phone set to Charge Only and as a Mass Storage Disk. The phone receives power from the USB port, but I cannot switch the infotainment system to the USB input because nothing is connected.

Is it possible to use the USB this way, or do I need to plug into aux? Thanks,

Kris

·
Registered
472 Posts
I use USB to keep it charged and aux for the music works for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
361 Posts
kparrent said:
Hello,

I just purchased a new 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2 this past weekend. I've come to the conclusion I have no chance of getting Pandora/Bluetooth music to work, so I accepted that GM hosed me and moved on to plugging my phone in via USB.

I have a HTC Evo 3D, but when I plug it into the outlet the system doesn't recognize there is a device plugged in. I tried with the phone set to Charge Only and as a Mass Storage Disk. The phone receives power from the USB port, but I cannot switch the infotainment system to the USB input because nothing is connected.

Is it possible to use the USB this way, or do I need to plug into aux? Thanks,

Kris
i have an android phone and the only way for it to play music is via the usb port or the headphone jack. if you want to control the STORED music the usb port must be used.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, but I think what he means is that it doesnt even notice the device plugged into the USB port on the color touch screen

I have a Blackberry phone, it charges from the USB..but the radio doesnt recognize that I have it plugged in..

·
Registered
249 Posts
AMG Eric said:
i have an android phone and the only way for it to play music is via the usb port or the headphone jack. if you want to control the STORED music the usb port must be used.
Can you play Pandora from Android using USB port on the truck only? And if so, does it show all the info on the car's radio display?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have tried the USB port with my HTC Indredible. The system doesn't recognize the sd card where the music is stored.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wrusprod said:
yeah, but I think what he means is that it doesnt even notice the device plugged into the USB port on the color touch screen

I have a Blackberry phone, it charges from the USB..but the radio doesnt recognize that I have it plugged in..
Correct, I plug it in and the system doesn't know the difference. Sure, I could run another cable to aux, but that shouldn't have to be done.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i have to recall my statement. it used to work. i tried 2 diff USB cables with my htc sensation via the USB. there are only 2 things that come to mind. 1) htc released an update last week and maybe it lost functionality 2) now that it Bluetooth paired maybe it cant see the devices hard drive.

i did turn off Bluetooth pairing on the phone to see if it would mount the hd via USB and no luck. i will not be deleting my phone from the paired items in the car. i don't want to risk redoing all the voice activated phone numbers. i can say that after i updated my phone last week my voice activation was all screwed up and wouldn't match the contacts in the head unit. it has since resolved itself on its own after a few reconnects of the pairing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is one area where the iPhone shines. It can play everything over USB. Music library, playlists, turn by turn voice NAV apps, Pandora, Skype, and in the case of 4S SIRI. No need to use the Aux.

·
Registered
472 Posts
kparrent said:
Correct, I plug it in and the system doesn't know the difference. Sure, I could run another cable to aux, but that shouldn't have to be done.
It HAS to be done that way for Android and it isn't going to change. Get and Iphone if you want something like that. Google did not fill GM's pocket like Apple did.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mochaman said:
It HAS to be done that way for Android and it isn't going to change. Get and Iphone if you want something like that. Google did not fill GM's pocket like Apple did.
+1

I used to have a Zune and Android phone in my Nox before. Both had major fail, like the Zune would random disconnect, despite being listed as "supported" by GM, and the Android was very limited and tedious in functionality. So I got the 4S when it came out, and never been more happy. It just works.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mochaman said:
I find this hard to believe. There is no logical reason to support Android over Bluetooth and not on USB, when USB is a much simpler protocol. Android has been too big too long to ignore it altogether. If it's mounted as a storage disk, then it should be no different than playing files off of a flash drive.

I suspect it has something to do with the file structure and format. Anyone who has had success with Android, can you share the path to your music files from the root, and also the format of the songs?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PS .. spent a few hours on the phone with tech support today. It is confirmed no one has any idea about Intellilink by the amount of time required to tell me I didn't have one (which I was aware of, but wanted to make them figure out what Intellilink was). After they called many other people, they determined that Intellilink is officially included in Terrain's as of December. However, mine doesn't have it (which was purchased in December). I guess I got one that had been sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
kparrent said:
PS .. spent a few hours on the phone with tech support today. It is confirmed no one has any idea about Intellilink by the amount of time required to tell me I didn't have one (which I was aware of, but wanted to make them figure out what Intellilink was). After they called many other people, they determined that Intellilink is officially included in Terrain's as of December. However, mine doesn't have it (which was purchased in December). I guess I got one that had been sitting on the lot.
Funny they say that because this updated was given to dealerships on 11/14/11...

Effective 11/14/2011, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Interior section-Added (UP9) IntelliLink, includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice recognition for phone, music and radio; Pandora and Stitcher smartphone compatible; Gracenote (Playlist+, Album Art); software updatable for radio software and Gracenote database, it is "A" on 4SB with a footnote 1 that reads "Requires (UFU) AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback capability and (LFW) 3.0L DOHC V6 SIDI engine." Also, it is "--" on 3SA, 3SB and 4SA.
Then two weeks later this comes out...

Effective 11/28/2011, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

Interior section-Deleted (UP9) IntelliLink, entirely.
To me it appears they have no idea when the Terrain will even be able to order the Intellilink. Until then I don't see any way for Android to interact with the radio. I believe Android interaction is suppose to be part of the Intellilink feature.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
Funny they say that because this updated was given to dealerships on 11/14/11...

Then two weeks later this comes out...

To me it appears they have no idea when the Terrain will even be able to order the Intellilink. Until then I don't see any way for Android to interact with the radio. I believe Android interaction is suppose to be part of the Intellilink feature.
Do you have a link or anything to the 11/14 update? I'm trying to get in touch with my salesman. I don't expect to get anywhere, but it never hurts to try.

·
Registered
472 Posts
kparrent said:
I find this hard to believe. There is no logical reason to support Android over Bluetooth and not on USB, when USB is a much simpler protocol. Android has been too big too long to ignore it altogether. If it's mounted as a storage disk, then it should be no different than playing files off of a flash drive.

I suspect it has something to do with the file structure and format. Anyone who has had success with Android, can you share the path to your music files from the root, and also the format of the songs?
Bluetooth is a universal com standard and Android (and it's permutationstions) is not at least not as much as Apple Os is.

·
Registered
289 Posts
kparrent said:
Do you have a link or anything to the 11/14 update? I'm trying to get in touch with my salesman. I don't expect to get anywhere, but it never hurts to try.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2012&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=2&vehicleID=11561&type=0#

Select distribution updates and then go back a few weeks and it will be there.

But not sure why it would do anything as they removed it two weeks later and the updates are only for ORDERING vehicles, nothing to do with any currently on the lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JediSkipdogg said:
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2012&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=2&vehicleID=11561&type=0#

Select distribution updates and then go back a few weeks and it will be there.

But not sure why it would do anything as they removed it two weeks later and the updates are only for ORDERING vehicles, nothing to do with any currently on the lot.
Yeah me either honestly. In the end I'll probably just get a flash drive and throw it in the USB and leave it there. If I spend $35k it's at least worth the argument for the radio which does what I want. I'll mod it after warranty do what I want :)

Mochaman said:
Bluetooth is a universal com standard and Android (and it's permutationstions) is not at least not as much as Apple Os is.
Reading .mp3 files from a FAT32 drive is much simpler (and in use way longer) than Bluetooth. This is all that is done when you insert a flash drive, so as long as the Android phone is formatted correctly using properly directories and file names, there should be a way to make it work.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Kris,

I can tell you that Intellilink is only available with certain audio systems. It is not available with all of them. Has your concern with your phone been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer. While I see that you have spoken to someone about Intellilink, I can double check to make sure which audio system you have with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Kris,

I can tell you that Intellilink is only available with certain audio systems. It is not available with all of them. Has your concern with your phone been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer. While I see that you have spoken to someone about Intellilink, I can double check to make sure which audio system you have with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia, thank you for following up with me. I think I would say my case has been closed rather than resolved. I bought the top model (SLT2) of the vehicle and did not receive the options I was expecting or implied. My dealer has been very little help in this topic. They had never heard of Intellilink and have not worked to help me resolve the issue. They gave me 888 number to call, who have been better, but still far from great. I'm fairly certain I do not have Intellilink at this time, and I don't expect there is much that can be done about it. The last 8 of my VIN are C6147719. Thanks,

Kris

1 - 20 of 88 Posts