GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I found one thread which someone had this happen on a '10 and I can say it happens on a '12 as well. If I set just my laptop (no case) on the passenger seat, it will detect a passenger is present, turn on the airbag, and continuously sound the alarm that the passenger's seatbelt is not buckled. I took it to the dealer because I suspected it was over sensitive and they said they called GM and said "this is how it is designed". However, it turns out that this is not how it is designed because the airbag should not be on for a passenger that small. The dealer claimed there was no weight specification at which it turns on (which has to be a load of bull).

Anyway, so I can set a number of items in the passenger seat, including the laptop in the case, which are much heavier than just the laptop, the sensor will not activate. So I believe this comes down to electrical interference with the sensor and it is not properly shielded. I doubt GM will fix it, but just curious if anyone else has the issue? This only happens when the laptop is not in the case. It's always powered down or hibernating also.

Kris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
it will not turn on when I put down my laptop on the seat but will turn on when i put a Papa Murphy stuffed family size pizza on it

::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
NODES said:
it will not turn on when I put down my laptop on the seat but will turn on when i put a Papa Murphy stuffed family size pizza on it

::)
You MUST protect the Papa Murphy stuffed family sized pizza at all cost! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
...A passenger that small wouldn't be legally sitting in the front seat anyways. So, they don't need to place a weight sensitivity on it.

Also, it states in the owner's manual that the air bag may activate if something is sitting in the front seat, like a large bag. It's not an issue, just an annoyance to some. But I prefer the safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
You MUST protect the Papa Murphy stuffed family sized pizza at all cost! ;D

this reminds me of a time back in the 90's my dad went to visit my mom at work for lunch they had chilli for takeout and some guy backed into them when they were parked sitting in the car....to clean the chilli from all the crevices was close to $800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I had a 24 pack of coke sitting in mine the past two days and it kept dinging after about a minute of driving. I knew it was the seatbelt ding but my light was on. I didn't see a light for the passenger (use to it being on the instrument panel on my last two GMs) so I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I happen to need to turn the interior lights on tonight when I saw the seatbelt light on. I'm amazed that it's sensitive enough to pick a 24 pack up. It does not pick my laptop bag up thought. Not sure if width has something to do with it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Sumr616 said:
...A passenger that small wouldn't be legally sitting in the front seat anyways. So, they don't need to place a weight sensitivity on it.
JediSkipdogg said:
I had a 24 pack of coke sitting in mine the past two days and it kept dinging after about a minute of driving. I'm amazed that it's sensitive enough to pick a 24 pack up. It does not pick my laptop bag up thought. Not sure if width has something to do with it or not.
A weight sensor is what is used for GM's front passenger seats,
I believe it trips at approx. 50lbs[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
POLRCUB said:
A weight sensor is what is used for GM's front passenger seats,
I believe it trips at approx. 50lbs[/color]
It's definitely not that unless mine is calibrated wrong. My 6 lb laptop bag didn't set it off but a 10 lb 24 pack of coke did. Both far from 50 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
JediSkipdogg said:
It's definitely not that unless mine is calibrated wrong. My 6 lb laptop bag didn't set it off but a 10 lb 24 pack of coke did. Both far from 50 lbs.
Then we can conclude that it is somewhere between 10-50lbs, as a weight sensor is used.
I can't imagine yours is calibrated wrong - my first guess was simply that, the width of the item is not a factor.

I wonder if a 24 pack of :beer: is heavier than Coke :facepalm:

Happy Motoring!! :thumb: [/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
kparrent said:
Hello all,

I found one thread which someone had this happen on a '10 and I can say it happens on a '12 as well. If I set just my laptop (no case) on the passenger seat, it will detect a passenger is present, turn on the airbag, and continuously sound the alarm that the passenger's seatbelt is not buckled. I took it to the dealer because I suspected it was over sensitive and they said they called GM and said "this is how it is designed". However, it turns out that this is not how it is designed because the airbag should not be on for a passenger that small. The dealer claimed there was no weight specification at which it turns on (which has to be a load of bull).

Anyway, so I can set a number of items in the passenger seat, including the laptop in the case, which are much heavier than just the laptop, the sensor will not activate. So I believe this comes down to electrical interference with the sensor and it is not properly shielded. I doubt GM will fix it, but just curious if anyone else has the issue? This only happens when the laptop is not in the case. It's always powered down or hibernating also.

Kris
Kris,

I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and I will be able to do more research on the seat settings. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sumr616 said:
...A passenger that small wouldn't be legally sitting in the front seat anyways. So, they don't need to place a weight sensitivity on it.

Also, it states in the owner's manual that the air bag may activate if something is sitting in the front seat, like a large bag. It's not an issue, just an annoyance to some. But I prefer the safety.
Maybe not.. but if you're thinking it's going to turn off for a 30-50 pound child and it's on for my laptop .. I would seriously doubt it.

I don't mind the safety, but I would like it to work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
kparrent said:
Maybe not.. but if you're thinking it's going to turn off for a 30-50 pound child and it's on for my laptop .. I would seriously doubt it.

I don't mind the safety, but I would like it to work properly.
It most likely is working properly, there would be no electrical interference with the sensor, its weight sensitive only.
With multiple items you place on the seat, the sensor is positioned near the back of the bottom seat, not near the front, so perhaps that is why you are experiencing the inconsistency.
Just my 2cents ;)[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I can confirm that there is something weird with the passenger seat sensor. One day I left work with a heavy duty stainless steel cookie sheet that I was suppose to test at home. I placed the cookie sheet flat on the seat and it activated the sensor with both light on and bell going off. I had to take it off and put it down beside the seat to get it to turn off.

Now I have put all other kinds of stuff on the seat, including my purse which is usually heavier than that cookie sheet. I have even piled several bags of items that I purchased and never once has the sensor activated. Why that steel cookie sheet set it off, I'll never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I'm coming to the logic that they are not weight sensors but just sensors in general. I'm trying to figure out their exact placement but I'm leaning towards somewhere in the uphill sides of the slant on the cushion instead of the direct bottom. Only when an item touches both slants will mine go off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Re: Re: 2012 Terrain Passenger Seatbelt Warning / Airbag Sensor

Just an fyi. Craven speed that makes the stubby antenna also sells a seatbelt insert to stop it from thinking the belt is undone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
The shielding is at fault.

My iPhone will cause it to go off if it's laying in the seat.

I took it to the dealer thinking something was faulty, but the tech said there was a memo about phones and electronic devices triggering the system.

Ironically, the same thing also happened in the service loaner they gave me- a 2013 Buick Regal.

GM must use the same sensor in many vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Yeah, It's electrical interference. My Compaq laptop will completely screw up the circuit to the point that a caution message pops up. It's been a long time but I think it stated that the airbag needed servicing.

Two days ago I laid my Magellan GPS in the seat (plugged in) and the status light changed to reflect a body in the seat and the seatbelt needing to be hooked up.

Be very careful with this. Should the system be in an inappropriate status during an accident the bags may not deploy as they should and an injury (or worse) could happen.

Here is a link to a good article on the subject

http://thesafetyrecord.safetyresearch.net/2011/11/01/electromagnetic-interference-enablesdisables-gm-airbags-gm-forgets-to-inform-customers/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
2014 Equinox Passenger Seatbelt Sensor

Kris,

I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and I will be able to do more research on the seat settings. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
http://cruzetalk.com/forum/25-gen1-...assenger-seat-airbag-sensor-interference.html

Hi Tricia,

I found the above linked post regarding a seemingly faulty passenger seatbelt sensor. I have a 2014 Equinox and seem to be having the same issue. I have had my vehicle for a little over a year, and have started having similar problems in the last few months. It happens during both short and long drives, the passenger seatbelt sensor will start dinging, even if nothing new has been added or moved to the seat, haven't stopped or slowed speed, haven't gone around a curve, etc. Sometimes it will go off with something as light as my cell phone or piece of paper in the seat. Sometimes I can take the item out of the seat, wait for the sensor to turn off, and put the item back in the seat, and then the sensor stays off. Other times the sensor doesn't switch off when I remove the item from the seat. The sensor going off when it seems like it shouldn't is happening with more and more frequency and is very obnoxious, it happens almost every time I drive now, whereas it first started with maybe once a month.

Did you find out what the problem is and what the fix is?

Thanks!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top