GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I have a 5th generation 80GB iPod classic with about 6800 songs. When I plug the iPod into the USB port in my 2012 Terrain SLE, the song I currently have playing on the iPod begins playing in the car, so the sound works, which is great. The 1 playlist I have and 1132 Composers I have are instantly indexed.

The issue is that the Artists, Albums, Genres, Songs, Podcasts, and Audio Books options never stop indexing. When I try to click on Artists, I get a message saying "Indexing in in progress", which never goes away. I've driven for 15-20 minutes and it is still indexing. I tried resetting the iPod, I made sure it has the latest firmware, but nothing seems to work.

From my research, I've found that you can only have up to 10,000 songs on the iPod, so I narrowed down my songs from 12,000+ to 6800, but still nothing. I'm not sure if my iPod is too outdated, but it doesn't make sense to me that the Playlist and Composers are indexed, but not the others. Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same issue with my 5th gen iPod. My 8gb flash drive does not have this problem. I never got an answer on this forum.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Has your concern been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you as well on my end. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should not have to take this to your dealer

I don't understand why GM, whether it be GMC or GM itself think that it is acceptable to insist their customers take time out of their days to go to the local dealer on something like this. That response is completely unacceptable. Here's a thought GM. How about you update your offshore helpless desk and give them proper escalation procedures and paths for solving problems?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my GMC Terrain SLE with NAV, I have the same indexing problem for Playlists with my 5th Gen iPod Nano. The iPod then had the freeze problem reported in other posts and rather than resetting the iPod to fix, I copied my Itunes directory to my 8GB Cruiser Blade. No more freezing but I still have the indexing problem. It would be nice to have this fixed as I have Playlists I would like to use. The other indexes appear to work for Artists, Albums, Genres, etc... it is just the Playlists that doesn't work. I have tried exporting the Itunes Playlist to .m3u and copying to the Cruiser Blade, still not recognized. I click on Playlists and it says "Indexing in progress" for over a minute and then "List is empty".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correction to my last post - I do not have NAV, I have the Colour Touchscreen Display. This is a 2012 Terrain purchased in Feb of 2012.

·
Registered
472 Posts
kestec said:
In my GMC Terrain SLE with NAV, I have the same indexing problem for Playlists with my 5th Gen iPod Nano. The iPod then had the freeze problem reported in other posts and rather than resetting the iPod to fix, I copied my Itunes directory to my 8GB Cruiser Blade. No more freezing but I still have the indexing problem. It would be nice to have this fixed as I have Playlists I would like to use. The other indexes appear to work for Artists, Albums, Genres, etc... it is just the Playlists that doesn't work. I have tried exporting the Itunes Playlist to .m3u and copying to the Cruiser Blade, still not recognized. I click on Playlists and it says "Indexing in progress" for over a minute and then "List is empty".
For the m3u to work you must make the play list from music on the flash drive not your computer. It needs to have the proper drive letter assigned. I use Media Monkey(free) and mount my flash drive and make play lists from it. I know this because I did copy a m3u export and it was not recognized.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just finished yesterday converting all my ITunes music to .MP3's and copied to a flash drive thru Windows Explorer. About 1225 total. Everthing seems to be working so far except half of my album art is missing. I have an Iphone 4s and an ITouch 4G that never worked right since puchase in Sepember 2011. Tech support and Service manager keep blaming it on the Ipods not on the compatibility list. I will keep after this every maintaince cycle till it's resolved. There has to be a way to upgrade the software in the Colortouch. In other threads it seems like the Mylink has had upgrades why not the colortouch. I enjoy listening to my music to much when I drive to just let this go. My service manager said I've been the only one who has complained.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Flash7117 said:
I just finished yesterday converting all my ITunes music to .MP3's and copied to a flash drive thru Windows Explorer. About 1225 total. Everthing seems to be working so far except half of my album art is missing. I have an Iphone 4s and an ITouch 4G that never worked right since puchase in Sepember 2011. Tech support and Service manager keep blaming it on the Ipods not on the compatibility list. I will keep after this every maintaince cycle till it's resolved. There has to be a way to upgrade the software in the Colortouch. In other threads it seems like the Mylink has had upgrades why not the colortouch. I enjoy listening to my music to much when I drive to just let this go. My service manager said I've been the only one who has complained.
Forgot that part yes you need to convert to MP3. I have had the same issue with album art if you can keep track you need to add the art to each song that doesn't have it .

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
kestec said:
Has your concern been resolved? Please feel free to contact me as well with the last eight of your VIN if you need additional assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've always had the same issue with my iPhone 4 - "indexing in progress" followed by "list is empty" and then nothing will play over USB. My local dealer basically said that they got one of their ipods to work on my USB port so it wasn't a problem with my unit. That and "feel free to drop in if I'm still having issues".

At my next most recent oil change, the tech said that they have no update yet and nothing else to suggest that I try.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I only converted one Artist at a time and one Album at a time then made sure art work was there if it wasn't I downloaded it. It got lost going from Itunes to Windows Explorer. A lot off topic but I will keep up with the Itouch and Iphone on the compatibility issues.

·
Registered
118 Posts
EDwardo said:
I've always had the same issue with my iPhone 4 - "indexing in progress" followed by "list is empty" and then nothing will play over USB. My local dealer basically said that they got one of their ipods to work on my USB port so it wasn't a problem with my unit. That and "feel free to drop in if I'm still having issues".

At my next most recent oil change, the tech said that they have no update yet and nothing else to suggest that I try.
I'm having the same issue with my iPod touch. After plugging mine in, the dealership couldn't even get the test tool to work. I had my Nox there for 2 days, they tried replacing the USB connector, and running diagnostics using the MIT tool, and nothing. They are going to call their support and get back to me tomorrow. I finally got someone from GM to say "I think its a problem with the radio's software"....

As I hear more I will share. They are going to call me tomorrow and probably tell me I'm screwed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad to hear at least someone is trying to help. When I get home tommorrow I'll call Tech Suport again just to let them know issues are still not resolved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Latest Update: My dealer called me today and let me know that GM technicians said to order a new radio for me. Gotta go in and get the serial number off of mine and have it replaced. Sadly, I imagine this will only be a temporary fix, unless newer radios have updated software that would better handle these issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not the vehicle causing the problem. I also had the same issue with my Iphone 4 certain firmware versions on the phone like mine happened to be version 4.5 when it started doubling and tripling my songs. went to 5.0 and the problem went away. 5.1 it came back. you see where im going with this.. so the last version before the newest 6.0 I was having the same issues all over again now that IOS6 is installed it's fine now. For some reason certain updates interfere with the way the vehicle indexes the songs. 3 other terrain owners i know, also like my terrain are 2012's had the same things happen when i had them upgrade or downgrade the firmware the apparent pain in the neck went away. I hope this helps and solves your problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dave - what version of iOS are you using that works?

Tricia - do you have any info on this from GM techs? I'm at the point where I'd be interested in replacing my radio with something that I could either stream audio over Bluetooth or via USB (so I can use the steering wheel controls).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts