GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2012 Terrain on order and am expecting delivery this week, One of the first mods I am going to do is switch over to HID's on the regular headlights. Been looking at the LED H11's for the fog lights though, similar to these -->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ultra-Blue-18-SMD-H8-H11-LED-Driving-Fog-Lights-Bulbs-/130513536768#vi-content

Anybody here have any experience with using LED's in the fogs? or should I just forget about the LED's and go HID for both the regular lights and the fogs?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Darkstrike said:
Got my 2012 Terrain on order and am expecting delivery this week, One of the first mods I am going to do is switch over to HID's on the regular headlights. Been looking at the LED H11's for the fog lights though, similar to these -->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ultra-Blue-18-SMD-H8-H11-LED-Driving-Fog-Lights-Bulbs-/130513536768#vi-content

Anybody here have any experience with using LED's in the fogs? or should I just forget about the LED's and go HID for both the regular lights and the fogs?

Thanks in advance!!
Those LEDs are pretty blue, and blue is not the best color temperature for cutting through fog. A 3000 degree Kelvin (yellow) is much better. Also, with that price, $35, I would probably go with an HID setup. But, it's your money, and your taste. Are you trying to make them useful, or look "cool".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I definitely want them to be functional, not going for the cool factor. The look I dont like is having HID's for the headlight and the standard halogens in the fogs. I guess the look i'm going for is more of a uniform look with the headlights and fogs while still keeping the fogs functional. I was just curious to see if anyone else around here had used the LEDS in the fogs and what their impression was.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Darkstrike said:
Thanks for the reply, I definitely want them to be functional, not going for the cool factor. The look I dont like is having HID's for the headlight and the standard halogens in the fogs. I guess the look i'm going for is more of a uniform look with the headlights and fogs while still keeping the fogs functional. I was just curious to see if anyone else around here had used the LEDS in the fogs and what their impression was.
Those probably won't match your HIDs, will they ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
LED bulbs are not strong enough to throw light onto the road that will help you see better....

Do not waste your money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nodes! That's the answer i was looking for. I wasn't sure if the LED technology had come far enough to make the fogs functional as well as looking good. HID fogs it is than.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Darkstrike said:
Thanks Nodes! That's the answer i was looking for. I wasn't sure if the LED technology had come far enough to make the fogs functional as well as looking good. HID fogs it is than.

I spent close to $50 on reverse lights for out Terrain only to find out they are less bright then factory bulbs...

Not please at all.... So I passed on the info to you so you can save your money and spend it on something else.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
NODES said:
I spent close to $50 on reverse lights for out Terrain only to find out they are less bright then factory bulbs...
$50 for two bulbs?? I think you may have been shopping at the wrong store.
I have LED's all the way around and my two reverse LED's are just as bright as the OEM and they start at $8ea. Mine were $12ea (just a tint of blue)
Superbrightleds.com
[/color]

Darkstrike said:

Thanks in advance!!
Superbright has H11's OEM replacement but each bulb only has 9 emitting diodes, so not bright enough for fogs.
LED's are being used for driving/fog lights by manufactures but the design is unique.
I've opted to use HID's for low beams and fogs and they turned out real nice.[/color]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up going with the H11 HID fogs and am very happy I did! Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts