GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the Terrain and this forum so my knowledge is still building. We just bought a 2012 SLE-2 and I was wondering how do you know what the current version of firmware is for your radio? I know how to se what mine has, but I want to stay up-to-date so how do I know when there is a new one? One thing too was that my dealer was touting this pandora and stitcher stuff which naturally doesn't show up on the radio. Then again the dealers do a lot of lying don't they?

Thanks,

·
Registered
241 Posts
Endo129 said:
Hey all,

I'm new to the Terrain and this forum so my knowledge is still building. We just bought a 2012 SLE-2 and I was wondering how do you know what the current version of firmware is for your radio? I know how to se what mine has, but I want to stay up-to-date so how do I know when there is a new one? One thing too was that my dealer was touting this pandora and stitcher stuff which naturally doesn't show up on the radio. Then again the dealers do a lot of lying don't they?

Thanks,
If you do not have Pandora or Stitcher, you will not. You have the color touch radio that does not support the intellilink features. Do a search for Intellilink on the forum and you will see you are not alone in being fooled by this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To have Pandora and Stitcher on the radio you need the new Intellilink system that as far as I know is only available on the SLT-2 6 cylinder Terrain. Unfortunately alot of dealers have been making the claim that it is only a software or firmware upgrade to the radio. As far as I understand the radio is completely different and if you don't have it now than it is not available to you. I just ordered my SLT-2 Terrain last week and had the Intellilink added to it. My dealer did confirm to me that for the 2012 model year it is only available on the SLT-2 6 cylinder. The place to check the version of firmware on the Intellilink radios is myconnectedradio.com/web/gmc/home. Sorry for the broken up link but I just signed up here and don't have enough posts to be able to post links.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!

That link seems to only talk about the intellilink radio. Is ther esomewhere to keep up with frimware on the standard color touch?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Firmware updates to the color touch would be done at the dealership, just like the other vehicle updates...It would be cool if you could do it like the Intellilink site...but not currently.

Looking forward to hearing from those with the Intellilink radio!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But how do you know when there is a new one? Certainly they're not going to tell you. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on new features/fixes/improvements. And if you could get the firmware on a USB drive there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself (until you brick it ;)). I just know that my 2 year old TV has done 10 or more firmware updates automatically and given me a plethora of new features and improvements. For $30k I want my radio to work as god as possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Endo129 said:
But how do you know when there is a new one? Certainly they're not going to tell you. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on new features/fixes/improvements. And if you could get the firmware on a USB drive there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself (until you brick it ;)). I just know that my 2 year old TV has done 10 or more firmware updates automatically and given me a plethora of new features and improvements. For $30k I want my radio to work as god as possible.
I agree. But short of going to the dealer to check for new updates, I don't know where to find the lastest firmware version. Maybe that site someone mentioned a while back that could tell what updates were on your car based on VIN number. I need to search again to find it though.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Looks like you have gotten some good information on the thread. I would have to agree that the best way to learn about updates would be to stay in contact with your dealer. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It would be nice if the updates were on line and could be down loaded to a memory stick. Then you could just plug it into the USB port.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
USB stick would be great, just like every other electronic device now a days. Hell, my TV updates the firmware without me ever knowing it. In fact, that is how the dealer would do it, so why can't we?

I called my dealer yesterday to ask about this, especially b/c I am disgusted by the lack of response, and sometimes not even working, from the volume button on the wheel. It took a bit to explain to them what I was talking about, then they just looked up my VIN in the computer and said there were no updates or recalls for my car. Not sure if that would tell them about the firmware or not. I couldn't get answered what the current firmware version is to check against my version.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe the radio will update itself on it's own The reason I say this is when I first purchased my vehicle (special ordered) and picked it up January 2, it downloaded an update as I was doing the "walkthrough" with the salesman. He had me start the car and after about 30 seconds the radio went to "Downloading Update, Do Not Turn the Vehicle Off." He said he'd never seen that before. It took about 2-3 minutes while he showed me other parts of the vehicle.

I believe the second way is through the USB port and something we can do if we can get the software updates. There's a setting in the menu to update and if you go to it it asks you to insert a USB update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can shed some light on this. Radio (and most other firmware and software) can only be done by GM techs or sublet companies like i do. If you want to know if there is an update or what your current version is, shoot me a pm and I can tell you. As for USB updates, no go, sorry. It requires SPS and a computer with MDI. Hope this helps... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Here is what GM states on their public web site. Also I have read where they state it can most upgrades can be done with a flash drive and I assume a lap top.

Update your system.

Periodically we will be updating our system, introducing new features and expanding on others. Here is where you will be able to download the latest updates to keep your system as current as possible.

To get the latest update, log into your IntelliLink account now.

https://www.myconnectedradio.com/web/gmc/updates

I also read where they said most upgrades could be done by the owner but some may require a dealer visit. I assume it may depend on the size or the issue involved.

I am not arguing here I just have read different from GM.

Here is the press release quote

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f74/buick-gmc-share-intellilink-infotainment-system-102325/

"Upgraded USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices and gives the customer the ability to update IntelliLink with future feature enhancements."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thats for the Intellilink radio..but not the standard color Touch.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
no problem....I think we are all still unsure of the ColorTouch/Intellilink radio! Even GM!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay so I got a document today from GM (2873178) that states there ian update available for the following radios (UFU, UFW, UFF) for the following conditions: "Customer cannot search music category list in menu, cannot search folders in an mp3 cd, MP3 file scanning is not working, or indexing is not working. Radio does not always connect to the last bluetoothdevice after an ignition cycle, radio may connect to a different phone phone that was paired to the radio at a different time. Unable to delete a paired bluetooth phone or access the phone menu. This is due to the phone book not being completely loaded prior to attempting to use the connected device.
Along with a number of other issues. NOTE: THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE LISTED RADIOS ONLY!! 2012-13 model year only.
As of yet GM has not released the update to most technicians. Please PM me for all the details as I cannot copy/paste the full document on here. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay so I got a document today from GM (2873178) that states there ian update available for the following radios (UFU, UFW, UFF) for the following conditions: "Customer cannot search music category list in menu, cannot search folders in an mp3 cd, MP3 file scanning is not working, or indexing is not working. Radio does not always connect to the last bluetoothdevice after an ignition cycle, radio may connect to a different phone phone that was paired to the radio at a different time. Unable to delete a paired bluetooth phone or access the phone menu. This is due to the phone book not being completely loaded prior to attempting to use the connected device.
Along with a number of other issues. NOTE: THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE LISTED RADIOS ONLY!! 2012-13 model year only.
As of yet GM has not released the update to most technicians. Please PM me for all the details as I cannot copy/paste the full document on here. :eek:hno:
hello I’m new to this forum I also just read what you just posted and was wondering if I could get more info about this post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts