GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two Cam shaft position sensor locations from what I read and from what the Autozone computer tells me.

I swapped out the driver side rear by the firewall, but what I need to know is where is the second sensor?

Facing the rear of the vehicle, is it on the left or rear side of the front of the engine?

It might be under something on the from driver side, I would think it would be opposite in terms of position to the one that I already changed out.

Also, I went ahead and changed out both Camshaft Solenoids too, so all i need to do is swap the last Sensor

Larry
Indianapolis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found it, it is immediately in front of the one by the firewall

You can reach it from the front driver side of the engine and it is up under the camshaft, you have to take of 2 bolts and one nut, all 10-mm to access it.

Also, my 2012 has 79k miles on it, the Check Engine light came on with the P0010 code so I usually drive my cars to 200k miles so I went ahead and did the 2-solenoids and teh 2 Position sensors

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do a search on I4 engine problems in 2010-2012, may have a timing chain issue too. These engines have a 100K powertrain warranty, the dealer should fix this issue without a charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having similar issues and am looking for help. My terrain is a 2012 2.4L. It has been throwing a p0011 choose on and of four a year or more. I finally changed the cam position sensor the problem is still here and has actually gotten worse. It stalled out on me 8 times last night. The car stalls out at low idle unless you feed it constant gas.

I was also reading around the forums and picked up on that it might be a cam actuator problem. Is this another possibility?

So is there actual 2 cam position sensors? If so where are they located?

I have seen recalls for the 2011 engines
I checked for recalls with my Vin and there was nothing pertaining to this.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
I'm having similar issues and am looking for help. My terrain is a 2012 2.4L. It has been throwing a p0011 choose on and of four a year or more. I finally changed the cam position sensor the problem is still here and has actually gotten worse. It stalled out on me 8 times last night. The car stalls out at low idle unless you feed it constant gas.

I was also reading around the forums and picked up on that it might be a cam actuator problem. Is this another possibility?

So is there actual 2 cam position sensors? If so where are they located?

I have seen recalls for the 2011 engines
I checked for recalls with my Vin and there was nothing pertaining to this.
Chris

If you read this full thread, you will see that your question has been answered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazingly, my ESC light went off yesterday after I put some 93 octane gas in and began driving. :cheers:

There are 2 Cam actuator solenoids on the top of the engine, extremely easy to fix, the time would be 15-20 minutes. (there is a YouTube video for this)

the 2 Cam Sensors are a little tougher only because you have to reach to the rear drivers side of the engine, but I could feel the sensor and took it out with a 1/4" socket wrench and a 10-mm socket.

The front Cam Sensor is under a part on the front right side and you have to take 2-bolts and one nut out/off, then the sensor bolt is under the cam

All bolts are 10-mm and I did it in my derive way on the ground, no ramps etc. Total time to do all of the solenoids and sensors would be no more than 1 hour, mostly because they are in hard to reach spots.

I will preface this with the fact that I have built engines for my corvettes and mechanically inclined, and I aint skeered of no nuts and bolts :D

Larry
INDY

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Circa

When these problems were more prevalent, I thought there was mention of some type of software reset that had to be done after replacing the actuators. Any truth to this, or did you find that just changing them was enough ? BTW, how much were these parts ?

THX

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The camshaft position sensors from Rock Auto were $32.xx

The Variable Timing Solenoid (that's what they call it on Rock Auto ) was $30.xx

So $120 and change for all 4 sensors, roughly the cost for the diagnosis at my local Dealer.

I did not go to the dealer, they did not mention a re-set.

I installed the parts and the light was still on after I disconnected the Negative battery cable, then i put some 93 octane in and the lights went out, maybe I got lucky

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Circa58 said:
The camshaft position sensors from Rock Auto were $32.xx

The Variable Timing Solenoid (that's what they call it on Rock Auto ) was $30.xx

So $120 and change for all 4 sensors, roughly the cost for the diagnosis at my local Dealer.

I did not go to the dealer, they did not mention a re-set.

I installed the parts and the light was still on after I disconnected the Negative battery cable, then i put some 93 octane in and the lights went out, maybe I got lucky
I suspect that disconnecting the battery and doing nothing to the solenoids would also have had the MIL light go on (whoops, meant to say off) . The proof of the pudding is if it stays off !

Just curious, why did you put in the 93 octane gas ? Was that just a celebration with champagne for the car ? :cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 2012 Terrain 2.4l Camshaft Position sensor locations

i tired 93 octane because the Autozone Code Check guy said something about the code he got could have been a timing issue, so I wondered if bad gas could have caused the engine to "maybe" advance or retard the timing due to low octane, or a crappy thank of gas,,, I don't know if the 93 octane had anything to do with it or not honestly.

I drive in sales 35k per year, so every once in a great while, i run some injector cleaner thru the car to keep it running as well as possible

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I suspect that the code clearing had less to do with the gas you used, and more to do with driving a certain number of miles. Some codes reset after a period of time/miles if the issue has been corrected.

Out of curiosity, do you have a flex-fuel engine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, no Flex Fuel on mine.

I would agree, probably does reset after x miles , either way, the light is off, and that makes me happy!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yes . . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2010 Terrain 2.4l is now having the rough idle and stalling at idle issue. It's happened about 8 times over the past two weeks. we are at 117k miles and its never happened before. I replaced the rear camshaft position sensor last night. Hopefully that will do it and I won't need to do the front as that one looks like a huge pain. I've done actuators on my 09 colbalt a few years back but that car through a code and idled rough all the time.

No codes on the Terrain with these issues.

·
Registered
492 Posts
2000redss,

If the sensor change doesn't clear it up check your throttle body.

My 2011 (3.0) started surging at idle and died a couple of times. No codes. I looked at the throttle body and it was black inside. Cleaning it cleared up all the issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts