GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the rear vision camera in the 2012 NON Nav is still in the rear view mirror or will it be in the new 7" screen??

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the truck has the large screen, that is where it displays.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did that one you test drove have the navagation? Did the display have the 2 lines extending to show the track you would take when backing?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Barry said:
Does anyone know if the rear vision camera in the 2012 NON Nav is still in the rear view mirror or will it be in the new 7" screen??
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information and test driving the vehicle to be sure what this option woudl include. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the 2012 all have large screens, and the rearview camera is no longer an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Barry said:
The 2012 rear vision camera is on the 7" screen (infotainment system) - even without nav. This is standard. See picture below of my 2012 Terrain rear vision.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
^^ I don't see the directional lines... did they do away with those??

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as I can tell there are no directional lines on the rear camera system for 2012. I have cycled through all the radio options and the only option for rear view camera is to toggle it on or off. I have not looked though in the owners manual. But I think it's safe to say they did do away with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tkpc said:
The 2012 rear vision camera is on the 7" screen (infotainment system) - even without nav. This is standard. See picture below of my 2012 Terrain rear vision.
This is exactly like my 2012 Nox, no nav. There are no directional track lines. One thing I found fairly handy is backing into a parking spot, stop when you see the line at bottom of the screen... you're perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tkpc said:
As far as I can tell there are no directional lines on the rear camera system for 2012. I have cycled through all the radio options and the only option for rear view camera is to toggle it on or off. I have not looked though in the owners manual. But I think it's safe to say they did do away with them.
Why would they do away with them? They are (were?) extremely helpful!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Strawman said:
Why would they do away with them? They are (were?) extremely helpful!
Lines? What lines? I don't see any lines.

I have the camera, but not the nav system. Are they an extra with that option?

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
Lines? What lines? I don't see any lines.

I have the camera, but not the nav system. Are they an extra with that option?
In the two previous model years, with the Nav Option, when you backed up, it showed the path of the vehicle as a set of lines. This was only with the Nav - not the mirror backup camera and apparently not with the 2012 non-Nav vehicles..

·
Registered
69 Posts
RIT333 said:
In the two previous model years, with the Nav Option, when you backed up, it showed the path of the vehicle as a set of lines. This was only with the Nav - not the mirror backup camera and apparently not with the 2012 non-Nav vehicles..
I went out and checked and that is indeed the case. I can see that the mirror doesn't have enough "oomph" to do it. I'd be happy with a few hairs glued to the lens of the camera, but I'm not going to try it - I'd probably make a mess of it.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
I went out and checked and that is indeed the case. I can see that the mirror doesn't have enough "oomph" to do it. I'd be happy with a few hairs glued to the lens of the camera, but I'm not going to try it - I'd probably make a mess of it.
Hey - neat idea, but it is probably a fish eye lens, so you would probably have to use a curved length of hair - whoops !

·
Registered
978 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
RIT333 said:
Hey - neat idea, but it is probably a fish eye lens, so you would probably have to use a curved length of hair - whoops !

Anything attached to the outside of the lens would be unrecognizable due to the "depth of field" of the lens.
If anything showed at all...it would just be a blur in that area...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The back up cam is standard on all models. You CAN toggle the lines on the 2012.
In my city a lady backed over her kid... so its good that gm did this.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
robzilla said:
The back up cam is standard on all models. You CAN toggle the lines on the 2012.
In my city a lady backed over her kid... so its good that gm did this.
How do you toggle the lines ON with the '12 non-Nav models ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes there are lines on my 2012....you can turn them on an off with other camera settings. Display Settings--->Rearview Camera--->3 checkboxs for Camera, Guiding Lines,Park Assist Symbols....the camera is terrific with the rotating backup guides, and on the guides are stop marks to help you guage distance....with the Parking Assist beeps also you really feel safe and in control.... the personalization settings are a bit to wade through, but I found it fun as there were options I didn't expect...kinda like bonuses!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as the guide lines on the rear vision camera on the 2012 Equinox LTZ AWD without navigation, there are none and turning them on or off is not an option. The only option is camera on or off and symbols on or off. Here is a picture I just took of our menu page for camera. Another change over the 2011 rear vision camera is that the symbol of the yellow exclamation point in the triangle just shows in middle of 7" screen upon sensing an object and not on the corresponding side of the screen as the object as it did last year. Also the alert tones upon getting close to an object have changed slightly.

We do not have the Navigation system as it was extremly innaccurate and the dealer ended up with the 2011 we owned as a buyback so we got the 2012 with no nav system, so the lines may be on the vehicles with navigation, but are not on the model we have.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts