GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Terrain issue too

We have a 2015 Terrain with the same issue. It went blank over a year ago. No radio, no control panel, on OnStar, nothing. We can adjust the temp and fan speed for heat/air, but you cannot see to what, you just have to kind of guess since all that is on the control screen that doesn't work. Also no sound for the blinkers either. Since it was out of warranty we haven't taken it in, because they said they probably need to reset the cars computer, and last time they did that is was $400 just to do the rest. Wish we could find a fix, as we are leaving for a family vacation this Saturday, and it's a 22-hour drive away, so no radio will not be fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2012 terrain. As always, the dealer has never heard of the problem but yet i read about similar or same problems here. My own is as follows. And to be clear, I've had my Terrain for 5 years and this is the 1st time I've experienced this radio problem. I have SiriusXM and it's a 6 cylinder model.
1) Radio comes on when i start the car and then suddenly dies to a complete black screen. It doesn't respond to the on/off button. It might come back on within a few seconds or a few minutes or not at all.
2) Radio comes on at start up but the stations (favorites) do not show up nor does it show time, temperature or blue tooth connection. Then it might cycle like problem #1.
3) Radio comes on at start up but doesn't show temperature or time but shows radio favorites on bottom.
4) Radio screen goes completely black and doesn't come back in regardless of what buttons i push. Then input it in reverse and the backup camera appears but without the guide lines.
5) When some portion of the radio is on and input it in reverse, the guidelines appear ok.
6) Sometimes pushing the source or favorite key will wake the radio up from the dead. It might come back completely or like symptom #1 or #2.
7) Regardless of the state of the screen, it can go on and off whenever it feels like it.

I hope that this is enough diagnostic information for the GMC expert to look at this and get back with me on where to look for issues. Certainly I'm going to have to guide the dealer on solving the problem. As a side note, i spent 35 years in the computer industry and am entirely familiar with diagnostic techniques and problem troubleshooting in both hardware and software. Best i can tell there might be a cold solder joint or loose connection somewhere. Screen works ok so that's not the problem. Can i replace the radio electronics or is it integrated on some other component. Please help
Thanks

Cesar Flores

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue 2012 Terrain. My center panel went black, no radio or backup
Cam. Happened right after my dealer warranty went out. Tried replacing fuses and nothing. Called GMC and thought it may be a recall on it since I’ve read it happening to several people. They said no recall. Now I’m stuck with no radio, no backup cam. Please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Terrain SLT and one day the radio screen went black when restarted the car after a trip to a store. No radio, screen or controls, steering wheel controls do not work either. Able to change AC controls but can not see what temp is set too or can speed. Tried changing the radio and display fuses, radio did not have a fuse in the slot. Added a fuse to it and try turning car on and off, nothing has worked. This happened a few weeks ago and since the screen had come back on and went back out by itself. Car has almost 100k miles on it and had no issues with the radio or screen before. Any ideas to look into fixing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Screen

I just started having the same issue with the black infotainment screen.
Reading all the messages on this site it is, to say the least, interesting that not one issue seems to have been solved!!!!
Or at least no one is willing to share with the forum. Makes one wonder if it is worthwhile posting here.
Will find out soon.

Richard

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
2011 with ~136,000 miles and so far no radio problems ... but I guess it’s coming because I drive all my vehicles 222,222 miles.

When it happens to me, I’ll just be trying a fresh battery first to rule that out. Might check fuses but I’ve never blown one in 30+ years. After that I’d be searching the web for replacements and trying to avoid a trip to the dealer to “activate” the new unit ($100 ??). I think someone here successfully did that by applying a patch of a serial# (??) using some inexpensive software bought online ... but maybe I’m confusing this fix with another one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went though all the quickie possible fixes of checking the fuse, leaving it out, disconnecting the battery and whatever else was mentioned on here, all to no avail.
So I called the local GM dealer and asked how much to replace the radio module. Luckily I was sitting down. Approx $1,400 Can for refurbished module (1 yr warranty), labour and taxes.
Looks like a fairly easy job to access the module in behind the centre console so I may give that a go and then enquire at the local scrap yard for a module from a scrapped Equinox. If the price is right I'll go with that and have the dealer unlock it.
I don't think it is the screen itself as the radio was resetting a few times before it went completely blank which would indicate a software glitch or module failure or maybe even a loose plug. The screen even came up a couple of time with complete functions before going dead. Obviously no back up camera and when I place in reverse I get a warning that the parking assist needs servcing
I, for one, WILL let you know if and how this gets resolved. Other than this glitch the car is great.
2012 LTZ AWD
Anything to do with the screen is not functional, i,e, time. inside/outside temp, etc
Centre console lights are all off but HVAC does work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should try all the easy stuff first like fuse and disconnecting the battery.
After that it is almost a question how old your car is, how long you think it will last you and how much you are willing to spend. This last one also depends on what you can do on your own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 Terrain SLT and one day the radio screen went black when restarted the car after a trip to a store. No radio, screen or controls, steering wheel controls do not work either. Able to change AC controls but can not see what temp is set too or can speed. Tried changing the radio and display fuses, radio did not have a fuse in the slot. Added a fuse to it and try turning car on and off, nothing has worked. This happened a few weeks ago and since the screen had come back on and went back out by itself. Car has almost 100k miles on it and had no issues with the radio or screen before. Any ideas to look into fixing?
Did you solve the issue?
In what way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2012 terrain. As always, the dealer has never heard of the problem but yet i read about similar or same problems here. My own is as follows. And to be clear, I've had my Terrain for 5 years and this is the 1st time I've experienced this radio problem. I have SiriusXM and it's a 6 cylinder model.
1) Radio comes on when i start the car and then suddenly dies to a complete black screen. It doesn't respond to the on/off button. It might come back on within a few seconds or a few minutes or not at all.
2) Radio comes on at start up but the stations (favorites) do not show up nor does it show time, temperature or blue tooth connection. Then it might cycle like problem #1.
3) Radio comes on at start up but doesn't show temperature or time but shows radio favorites on bottom.
4) Radio screen goes completely black and doesn't come back in regardless of what buttons i push. Then input it in reverse and the backup camera appears but without the guide lines.
5) When some portion of the radio is on and input it in reverse, the guidelines appear ok.
6) Sometimes pushing the source or favorite key will wake the radio up from the dead. It might come back completely or like symptom #1 or #2.
7) Regardless of the state of the screen, it can go on and off whenever it feels like it.

I hope that this is enough diagnostic information for the GMC expert to look at this and get back with me on where to look for issues. Certainly I'm going to have to guide the dealer on solving the problem. As a side note, i spent 35 years in the computer industry and am entirely familiar with diagnostic techniques and problem troubleshooting in both hardware and software. Best i can tell there might be a cold solder joint or loose connection somewhere. Screen works ok so that's not the problem. Can i replace the radio electronics or is it integrated on some other component. Please help
Thanks

Cesar Flores
Did you get the problem solved Cesar?
Does sound like a weak solder or a loose connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 GMC Terrain Display/Radio Dead

Well .. add me to the list. I have a 2012 Terrain SLE and my touch display, radio and back-up camera went dead. It started sporadically (turn off by itself/turn back on by itself a few minutes later) and then began happening more frequently (turn off by itself/turn back by itself on 20-30 minutes later), then finally turning off by itself and not coming back on. I have checked and replaced fuses, yet still nothing. I have completed numerous internet searches and am unable to find anything useful (outside of checking/replacing fuses). I am beyond frustrated. I would take it back to the dealership, but have had consistent crappy service from them that ended up needlessly costing me thousands of dollars and multiple unplanned days off from my job. Yes, I complained to GMC Customer Service about previous issues, and their "solution" was a service credit at the same dealership where the crappy service was done. Yes, there are other dealerships, but honestly, I am concerned that the other dealerships would provide crappy service as well.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, YES, I am actually replying to how this was rectified. Unfortunately no one else on this thread seems to have solved their problem OR are not willing to share it.
All pricing is Canadian Dollars

You can follow the dismantlement on Youtube Not my car but the same thing
It will give you a good idea on how to start out. The rest is fairly simple.

At any rate, I bought the body tools to help dismantle the centre console st CDN Tire for $34.50.
Dismantled the console. The tools helped as the first two panels to remove must be pulled back, to the rear, and not just popped out.
The rest is just being careful to get all the bolts and unsnap the wire connectors. The big connector on the radio must be unsnapped, lever pulled back and then pulled out.
Next sourced "used" radio from scrap yard. Very important to have the part number and code from your original radio, on the top of it, as this will enable you to get one that matches. The one I got was from a Buick Verano. As soon as i plugged it in the screen came back on but indicated the anti-theft program was activated. Cost for the radio was $379.42.
Now off to the GM garage to program the radio to my vehicle and options. Took all of 15 minutes for a cost of $25.28.
Everything works.
So total cost was just under $450cdn and i get to keep the tools. A lot less expensive than the close to $1,500 that the garage had quoted me to change it out.
OH! The scrap yard warrants the radio for one year. Same as if I had bought a refurbished one from GM.

RICARDO

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 GMC Terrain Control Panel

My 2012 GMC Control panel turns itself on and off all the time. Was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. Took to the dealer and they said I needed to have it replaced and would cost 1400.00. I can not believe that this is only happening to our vehicle.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts