GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2012 OnStar non-NAV color touch radio and turn by turn directions

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  scbearsfan 
#1 ·
A stupid question, Im sure..but I havent tried it yet...

with the 2012 color touch radio on a vehicle that does not have the NAV unit, when you do the OnStar directions, is it just the usual audio and basic turn by turn directions like on the older models or does the color touch screen give a map like a NAV unit??

#3 ·
kinda figured that...OnStar would be worth it if it used the color touch display.

#4 ·
But on the 2012 2LTs there is a page in the owners manual (5-26) there is a screen on the DIC ' Trip and Fuel' Menu that says it's used for the OnStar or Navigation system Turn by Turn guidance. Would this show directions if you have the Directions and Connections service plan which comes as a free 6 month trila on new 2012s?

#5 ·
wrusprod said:
A stupid question, Im sure..but I havent tried it yet...

with the 2012 color touch radio on a vehicle that does not have the NAV unit, when you do the OnStar directions, is it just the usual audio and basic turn by turn directions like on the older models or does the color touch screen give a map like a NAV unit??
Your screen will show a map to the right on the screen. It will show the road you are on and if it curves etc. Also on your digital screen on the dash you can hit the up arrow to the navigation setting and you will get a map, but you will have to use your regular speedometer instead of the digital.

#6 ·
SCBEARSFAN said:
But on the 2012 2LTs there is a page in the owners manual (5-26) there is a screen on the DIC ' Trip and Fuel' Menu that says it's used for the OnStar or Navigation system Turn by Turn guidance. Would this show directions if you have the Directions and Connections service plan which comes as a free 6 month trila on new 2012s?
It shows you your next turn on the route.

#7 ·
Jenniebeeb said:
It doesn't show the map like a GPS unit does, but the OnStar Turn-by-Turn displays everything on the ColorTouch Screen.

I have used mine quite a bit.

It shows you an arrow corresponding with what your next direction is, shows Street name, and the distance until you get to it.

So if your next direction is to "Turn Right on Smith Street in 2.0 miles" it will show a big right turn arrow With "Smith Street" above it, and it will show the distance....So like "2.0 miles, 1.3 miles, etc." and the closer you get it counts down, so it gets to the point where it starts showing the turn is in 100 yards....
On Star will also tell you when you are approaching your turn and when to turn also if the road bears to the right or left. etc.

#9 ·
Just tried it this morning coming home from IHOP. Gave voice instructions and showed arrows and distance to next turn on the color touchscreen. preety cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.