GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2LT V-6 last Wed, have about 270 mi on it still on the fisrt tank of gas. Salesman filled it with ethanol free 93 ooctane gas DIC says we're getting 19.7 on mostly short trips with some traffic tie-ups and waiting for grandkid at school. We did take it on I-85 for about 10 miles to start the break in. Has anyone seen a better mpg with pure gas as opposed to E-10 and does octane matter. Also GM is recommending using "Top Tier" gas, I'm not quite sure how to know if ia gas is rated that. Thanks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
gas up with the octane recommended in the manual. Prob 87 .
And only go up to the next one if you encounter knocking.

Anything other than the recommended is a waste of $$

click on RETAILERs to see the brands..

http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
E-0 (no Ethanol) should be worth about 3% better gas mileage than E-10, or about 1 mpg.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90+ octane by us is 20 -30 cents more per gallon, same with E-0. We normally put between 10 and 15 gallons in when we stop for gas so that little extra cost isn't going to hurt. When we filled up the 08 Nox with Shell 92 and drove to Columbia, SC and back aprox. 260 miles (we drive down there 3-4 times a year) the wife was able to drive roughly another 200 miles +/-city , with Shell 87 she only got 100 miles +/- more. I know that's not a scientific way to measure mpg but for our purpose it's close enough. I'm just concerned that with the new SIDI engine it may require more octane to run right, even though right now GM is saying to use 87. Thanks

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
rbarrios said:
There are other advantages besides the mpg debate - higher octane fuels provide a cleaner burn hence keeping the intake and heads cleaner. I've seen the differences proved with my Hubby's cars.

Higher octane does in fact provide better milage,power and a cleaner flow through right to the exhaust openings. :)[/color]

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Higher octane does in fact provide better milage,power and a cleaner flow through right to the exhaust openings. :)[/color]
I'm not sure how it could provide better gas mileage. The BTU content (Energy) of regular gas and Premium gas is the same - if they both have 10% Ethanol. Some premium gas is E-0, so then it has 3% more energy, but in general, they will still be E-10 - at least in NY State ! I can't speak for the rest of North America.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
I'm not sure how it could provide better gas mileage. The BTU content (Energy) of regular gas and Premium gas is the same - if they both have 10% Ethanol. Some premium gas is E-0, so then it has 3% more energy, but in general, they will still be E-10 - at least in NY State !
I could have gotten more specific, my apologies :) just didn't want to get to complicated.
So generally speaking, like you say 'if they both have 10% Ethanol' but if they don't - then yes the BTU is higher hence better mpg.
I should add to my previous post though, a cleaner burning engine over time will keep the mpg up rather than degrading it from as they say 'gunk build up' ;)[/color]

·
Registered
161 Posts
RIT333 said:
I'm not sure how it could provide better gas mileage. The BTU content (Energy) of regular gas and Premium gas is the same - if they both have 10% Ethanol. Some premium gas is E-0, so then it has 3% more energy, but in general, they will still be E-10 - at least in NY State ! I can't speak for the rest of North America.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html
From what I have read, premium and regular fuel are considered to contain the same BTU per gallon. Some are higher and some are lower depending on many variables.

However, premium fuel allows for higher efficiency providing the vehicle is designed to take advantage of it. [/color] If the vehicle cannot take advantage of the higher octane (not BTU per gallon) then gains may be nil in terms of MPG or performance.

As far as premium fuel having more cleanliness, that is also subject to debate, but could be true.

I think this article covers many of the bases and makes the distinction between octane rating and fuel energy ratings. Unfortunately, quantitative value are not usually cited for the conclusions.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-news/tech/premium-fuel-futures

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reading some of the other posts on problems with the I-4, are there any problems with the V-6?

·
Registered
216 Posts
rbarrios said:
gas up with the octane recommended in the manual. Prob 87 .
And only go up to the next one if you encounter knocking.

click on RETAILERs to see the brands..

http://www.toptiergas.com/
I wondered why Sunoco was not on the the list so actually called Sonoco (1-800-786-6261) and was told they did their own testing before Toptier started and do not participate in their program. I ask why and didn't get a good answer other than they chose not to participate. The person I spoke with was definitely aware of Toptier.

I also notice Amoco and BP are not on the list. Kind of makes me wonder if getting listed as a Toptier product is kind of like getting a dexos 1 rating-----------MONEY.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes you wonder if GM is building a defense in case somethings pops up they have an out and/or they're pushing GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS at each oil change if you don't use a Top Tier fuel. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing GM I've always had good experiences with all my GM cars.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
by the way- GM fuel system Treatment Plus --- is

Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel system treatment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts