GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking tires and test driving 2011 Equinox with the intent to trade for 1 in the Fall when 12s come out. Yesterday while at a dealer I got my first look and test drive of the 2012 Malibu. 1st impressions: Very good quiet smoothe ride, beautiful 2 tone leather interior. The 4 cyl was very responsive, a lot more than on the Nox. Negatives for me: it sets low to the ground causing the front underneath spoiler? to hit curbs, got hung up on the bottom of the steering wheel getting in and out, bumped my head on the sun visor when leaning forward to check traffic at an intersection. (I'm 5'10" and 165lbs) It's a couple thousand dollars cheaper LTZ to LTZ Nox mainly due to I'd be satisfied with the 4 cyl. Then I test drove another Nox. Dealer had the Spring Special on hand. Sitting up higher and ease of getting in and out were first good impressions...again. Of course the ride was a bit more harsh...hey, it's a truck! The 4 cyl in the Nox was quite sluggish compared to the lighter Malibu. Thinking I'll stick with the Nox!! The LTZ has more bells and whistles too!!

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Wait for the '13 Malibu. Great article in this month's Motor Trend. It is supposed to be released in Feb. '12. Well worth the wait if you are even remotely thinking Malibu. Killer looks, and great mileage, and beaucoup features available.

It may be my next 2nd car - to supplement the Nox.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a 2008 Saturn Aura which is basically the same car as the Malibu, and I really liked it. I loved how it drove, it was nice, quiet and put together very well. As mentioned though, the 2013 is coming out so this is pretty much an older design now. Still very sharp, but with the 2013s coming out I would hold off if you decide to go with the Malibu.

I traded for the Terrain (I trade every 2-3 years) because I wanted the higher ride height and the versatility to haul larger items. It's nice to be able to fold the seats down and haul large or bulky items easily.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Looks like the '13 Malibu will be a winner. It will have the 2.5L engine - which Motor Trend claims is NOT related to the 2.4L. Seems odd, but maybe GM is trying to distance themselves from our 2.4L "problem child". :-X

No 6 cyl option available on '13 similar to the Sonata decision. $4 gas is having it's impact !

·
Registered
65 Posts
we are looking to get a nox soon to replace the gf's pontiac g6. I have a 2009 malibu as my ride 2lt silvermoss. Def the best car I've ever owned. Love how it drives .

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
SlayerX11 said:
we are looking to get a nox soon to replace the gf's pontiac g6. I have a 2009 malibu as my ride 2lt silvermoss. Def the best car I've ever owned. Love how it drives .
Thank you for your loyalty. If you have any questions about your purchase or would like me to locate a vehicle for you, please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Is there an echo in here, or is it just me ?

:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Thank you for your loyalty. If you have any questions about your purchase or would like me to locate a vehicle for you, please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
. Sure once I get someone to buy the 2009 g6

·
Registered
69 Posts
Barry said:
I have been kicking tires and test driving 2011 Equinox with the intent to trade for 1 in the Fall when 12s come out. Yesterday while at a dealer I got my first look and test drive of the 2012 Malibu. 1st impressions: Very good quiet smoothe ride, beautiful 2 tone leather interior. The 4 cyl was very responsive, a lot more than on the Nox. Negatives for me: it sets low to the ground causing the front underneath spoiler? to hit curbs, got hung up on the bottom of the steering wheel getting in and out, bumped my head on the sun visor when leaning forward to check traffic at an intersection. (I'm 5'10" and 165lbs) It's a couple thousand dollars cheaper LTZ to LTZ Nox mainly due to I'd be satisfied with the 4 cyl. Then I test drove another Nox. Dealer had the Spring Special on hand. Sitting up higher and ease of getting in and out were first good impressions...again. Of course the ride was a bit more harsh...hey, it's a truck! The 4 cyl in the Nox was quite sluggish compared to the lighter Malibu. Thinking I'll stick with the Nox!! The LTZ has more bells and whistles too!!
I just drove (with my wife) a 2011 Malibu on a 800 mile round trip. the return trip was a few days after the "going" phase and I felt like I was an origami. I'm six feet and with in-laws in the back seat, I felt cramped. My father-in-law just bought a new Malibu, so we drove his car to please him. Next time, I don't think I'm going to be so nice and will drive the Nox.

In the Nox I don't even push the driver's seat back all the way and there seems (from passenger comments) to be plenty of space in the back seat. Milage in the Malibu is better.

We have an HHR and Equinox and the Malibu was fine except for the (for me) small size. In fact, it drove much the same and the controls are virtually identical. I think the Nox handled lumps and bumps better - just enough to be noticeable. The luggage space was noticeably smaller.

I'm 63 and comfort is becoming more of an issue on long trips. Of course, my father-in-law is older, but he wasn't driving.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I traded in a 2008 Malibu LTZ for a 2010 Equinox and would compare the 2 in fit and finish but like the versatility of the Equinox better for roughly the same mpg. Like everyone else said, if you can wait, wait for the 2013 Malibu. I like everything on the 2013 besides the rear but will wait to give final judgement once I see it in person (without camouflage on).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts