GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a few threads people of upgraded just the door speakers and maybe the tweeters. Polk DB6501 and DB651 being one setup.

How does it sound with just those speakers replaced and has your ANC been affected?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Baalz said:
Ive seen a few threads people of upgraded just the door speakers and maybe the tweeters. Polk DB6501 and DB651 being one setup.

How does it sound with just those speakers replaced and has your ANC been affected?

Thanks
Bob
ANC drives the rear Sub, so it should have no effect.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The amp or the radio can only put out so much power into each speaker.

So you either gets speakers that match the power output of the stock amp or get the best speakers you can afford and upgrade the amp as well.

So what I mean by that is....if the stock radio puts out 30 watt rms at most then there is no point in buying speakers above that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But surely the quality of the sound is going to be better with better speakers. Regardless of what wattage they are rated for.
Im not seeking to rattle any windows I can be content with stock amperage turned up. At this point Im looking at the Polk 6501s in front and 651 in the rear doors. If It doesn't feel right at that point then I may add a separate subwoofer from the stock one so I can keep ANC. If that is at all possible.
In regards to the 6501s are the crossovers necessary are is that already taken care of with the stock system.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMO, it is important to use the Polk crossovers with their speakers.
I have run Polk DBs in past vehicles and they will sound OK with the stock output of the headunit, but they wont be as loud as you will like. Lets say the headunit is rated at 30 watts... in reality the headunit will most likely put out around 7 watts per channel. Even aftermarket headunit mfgrs play this game of overstating the output power of the built in amp. In addition, feeding the Polks with not enough power runs the risk of damaging them. Best thing to do is pair your DB's with a nice four channel amp to push them. You will be far happier with the sound output not only in volume but clarity and your speakers will thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I was to upgrade..
Polk db651 in rear doors. Polk db6501 in doors and column with crossovers in doors. (does the polk tweeter fit in column?)
Finally it would be suggested to maybe place an amp in console wired to the door speaker outputs under steering column?

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts