GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm coming up on my first oil change. This one is free from the dealer, so I'm using the standard AC-Delco filter. However, I am having them put full synthetic Valvoline in, and Autozone has a deal right now where I can get a K&N performance oil filter for $4 with it. This is a great deal because they are usually around $20-25. So I want to grab one for my next change which won't be done by the stealership. Only problem is, they have a bunch listed for the 2012 Terrain I-4 but they all have different diameters and thread counts. Here is what is listed:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Performance-Oil-Filter/_/N-25zc?filterByKeyWord=oil+filter&fromString=search

Anyone know which one actually fits? I know I can get the Delco ones from Amazon for like $8, but I would like to take advantage of this deal. It's not typically a canister filter, so I have a feeling it will be difficult to get this info.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I've never used Autozone but it seems quite messed up, why it shows all those is beyond me.
Try this,
Pick one make of filter and search their web exclusively first, to find out which filter cross-references with the OEM AC Delco.
Then go back to autozone if you want to purchase from there.
[/color]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POLRCUB said:
Pick one make of filter and search their web exclusively first, to find out which filter cross-references with the OEM AC Delco.
Then go back to autozone if you want to purchase from there.
[/color]
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. I'm not entirely convinced those canister style filters are compatible. I haven't taken a close look at the vehicle yet. It's typically just a sleeve filter with a plastic screw on cap, so whatever it is screwing into would have to be removed also it seems. Since they are two entirely different styles I don't think they would cross reference each other, would they?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hold on! Sorry I didn't notice before, you have the 2.4 I4. The 2.4 uses a cartridge filter does it not? The ones that are inserted into the engine block then sealed with a black plastic spin on cap?
Not a canistor, or spin on filter as its nicknamed sometimes.

I'm fairly sure it's a cartridge filter, so your search may be off.

My Hubby has a 2.4 Sol in his fleet so I'm just going by what's on the service shelf in the garage. He has parts for all the cars on there.

[/color]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yes, cartridge filter..

the ones you have a link too (OP) are not correct.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
wrusprod said:
yes, cartridge filter..

the ones you have a link too (OP) are not correct.
Thanks for the confirmation [/color]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
If I recall correctly, you put the filter into the CAP/cover first before installing in engine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wrusprod said:
Here is the link to the correct filters for that site.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Oil-Filter/_/N-8gcsg?filterByKeyWord=oil+filter

I know these are not the performance ones...but this is what it should look like...
Yeah I saw those. Autozone typically won't show filters that aren't compatible though, so I was just curious if there was a way those could be used. Guess I'll just order a bunch of the Delcos from Amazon. I really don't want to use Fram.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I used AC Delco filters and Pennzoil platium full synthetic on my 2011 I4..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wrusprod said:
I used AC Delco filters and Pennzoil platium full synthetic on my 2011 I4..
Just put in Valvoline full synthetic... runs noticeably smoother.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ha....what?? :shrug:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Strange, I know. Eco mode is so much less jerky though. Still by no means perfect, but noticeable. I'm sure the dealer did some other lube and stuff as well other areas which contribute.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So the dealer you went to, put in Valvoline?..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wrusprod said:
So the dealer you went to, put in Valvoline?..
Yep! I bought a jug and brought it in and told them to use that. It isn't dexos licensed, but it is equivalent or better as required by the manual. Plus it means it is oil they didn't have to give away (free coupon). Haven't seen a dealer give something away when they had the choice not to!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts