GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2012 FWD Terrain with the I4 engine. Supposed to be rated at 32mpg highway, but the only time I saw that on the dash was going through a small town driving 45mph. Checking at fill ups, I'm averaging less than 22mpg! Dealership told me that the average mpg is based on driving 55-60 mph. I can live with driving on the interstate and losing 4 or 5 mpg, but not 10! Very disappointed and feel GM is inflating their mileage to sell vehicles. With gas prices going up almost daily, the mpg was a big factor in our selection. I don't recommend this vehicle unless you don't care about fuel economy. GM should be held accountable for inflating the fuel economy. Finding several of their vehicles are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
kevinw said:
Just purchased a new 2012 FWD Terrain with the I4 engine. Supposed to be rated at 32mpg highway, but the only time I saw that on the dash was going through a small town driving 45mph. Checking at fill ups, I'm averaging less than 22mpg! Dealership told me that the average mpg is based on driving 55-60 mph. I can live with driving on the interstate and losing 4 or 5 mpg, but not 10! Very disappointed and feel GM is inflating their mileage to sell vehicles. With gas prices going up almost daily, the mpg was a big factor in our selection. I don't recommend this vehicle unless you don't care about fuel economy. GM should be held accountable for inflating the fuel economy. Finding several of their vehicles are doing the same thing.
The advertised milage is based on the EPA testing, not real world driving for any individual or driving conditions. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
977 Posts
To get close to the 32 mpg it has to be highway at reasonable speeds. The EPA tests are also done with 100% gasoline (No ethonal) so that alone takes away 3 - 4%. Reset your average speed when you reset your fuel ecomony on the DIC. Your average speed will be lower that you think. Best I've gotten on mostly highway around 67 mph is 29.5 MPG

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Plus..you are not going to get anywhere near that if you 'just purchased' the new Terrain..and it isn't even broke in yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles do they consider "broke in"? Right now I have a little over 1300 on it and the majority of those are all highway miles. (I drive a lot for work) Looking on some other posts, it doesn't seem like I have much to look forward to. Love the vehicle, just not happy with the mileage.

I appreciate the responses!

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
kevinw said:
How many miles do they consider "broke in"? Right now I have a little over 1300 on it and the majority of those are all highway miles. (I drive a lot for work) Looking on some other posts, it doesn't seem like I have much to look forward to. Love the vehicle, just not happy with the mileage.

I appreciate the responses!
It's true that some are listing poor gas mileage...but others are posting just the opposite.
We took a trip in my Wife's 4 cyl Equinox from mid-Indiana to Gatlinburg,Tenn with 2000 mi on the clock and at 75 mph on I-75 got 27.8 mpg. 24-25 mpg through steep grades and twisties over the mnts to Cherokee.
With slightly under 8000 mi now she is getting 23-24 city...and recently got over 31 mpg on a trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Iceman, you've managed to cheer me up some! Maybe there might be hope yet. I'll give it a while and see how it does. I did try going from 89 octane to 87 to see if it changed anything. Didn't see any difference. Around here premium gas is rather expensive, so don't know if it would justify the difference in price. Although if it helped short term until it's broke in better, that might be an option as well.

Thanks again for the posts, I appreciate the input!

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
kevinw said:
Well Iceman, you've managed to cheer me up some! Maybe there might be hope yet. I'll give it a while and see how it does. I did try going from 89 octane to 87 to see if it changed anything. Didn't see any difference. Around here premium gas is rather expensive, so don't know if it would justify the difference in price. Although if it helped short term until it's broke in better, that might be an option as well.

Thanks again for the posts, I appreciate the input!
...and BTW..we've never used the Eco button and she always runs 87 octane.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The fuel economy estimates are based on results of tests required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These tests are used to certify that vehicles meet the federal emissions and fuel economy standards. The vehicles are driven by a professional driver under controlled laboratory conditions, on an instrument similar to a treadmill. These procedures ensure that each vehicle is tested under identical conditions; therefore, the results can be compared with confidence. Please keep in mind that these ratings are estimates. Feel free to contact me for more assistance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good answer Tricia. :thumb:

Unfortunately, I think that's what to many complain about and blame GM for. GM has nothing to do with the tests besides doing the test. But it's not their test. They do the same test that Ford, Toyota, BMW, etc have to do. There are two problems with the tests....

1) Even though they changed a few years ago, they still do not accurately monitor real world driving. Although not everywhere, most people drive 70-75 MPH. However, I think the test is based in the 60-65 MPH range max.

2) Auto manufacturers built their vehicles and tune them to the test. You want the highest gear to be around the test range. Unfortunately, driving 10+ MPH over that and you are working that gear. The Terrain/Equinox could probably use a 7th gear. However, if they did that, they would have it kick into 7th around 60 MPH so they could then claim 35 MPG.

Ultimately, the EPA tests need to change. But then every auto manufacturer will fight that. They have a hard enough time making their vehicles meet a fuel requirement that continues to get stricter and then changing the way it's calculated would make it even harder. You could get to a point where V6's wouldn't even be allowed because it would hurt their average across their vehicle line and that's what the government looks at before starting to fine them for non-compliance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
EPA even "updated" the test to reflect more real-world applications, like high speed driving, HOWEVER, look at the guidelines for their tests, the "high speed" has a top speed of like 65, but an average speed of 55 or something. It's still something totally impractical.

I will say though, that 1300 miles is not enough yet to fully break it in. My 2011 Equinox mileage improved (when it was working correctly) up until about 14,000 miles. With mixed driving, I averaged 24. With highway speeds of 70, I averaged 27-28. If I drove 55-60, however, I easily got 32. I will say it's also very sensitive to RPM's during acceleration. I try to keep mine under 2.5 rpms. Takes a week or two of concentration to get used to it, but then you don't even think about it after that, becomes habit.

Good luck, give it at least a few thousand more miles. Use your cruise when you can as well, it helps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
kevinw said:

It is not the only company with this exact issue....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I apologize for going on a bit of a rant! ;) I would agree that it's not just GM that has issues, but would also agree that the "standards" for testing need to be worked on. Don't know many people that only drive 55-60 anymore, and not sure if anyone gets to drive in ideal conditions. I live in Nebraska...we consider "ideal" if the wind is only blowing 30mph. Not that the tests should be based on NE conditions, but hopefully you see my meaning.

When I was on my trip, the majority of the roads I was on were 2 lane highways. The last one I checked was from gas station to gas station right off the interstate. I drove 75mph with the cruise and ECO set. I got 22 mpg on that tank. Granted, I need to be more patient and give it probably 3,000-5,000 miles and see how it's doing. My wife typically drives it to work and back (about 60 miles round trip) every day. She definitely drives more conservative than I do, but I would say I have more fun! :)

I'll relax and give a while and check back in after we've driven it for a while. Hopefully I have good news!

Thanks for posting everyone!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I turned off my Eco getting about 3 to 4 more mpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts