GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wife a new 2012 equinox 1lt. Been looking on ebay for a chrome grill for it. The one I like on there (mesh looking just covers the factory one) says it only fits the ltz's. Cant find one like that to fit the 1lt. Whats the deal?? The grills looks the same to me.

Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The grill is the same as far as I know...and for that matter, I don't think it has changed since 2010.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats what I was thinking too but everyone I find on ebay says it will not fit the 2012 ls/lt1 2012 ltz only.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Bobby T said:
Well thats what I was thinking too but everyone I find on ebay says it will not fit the 2012 ls/lt1 2012 ltz only.
E-mail them and ask specifically why..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have emailed them and most of them say they dont know the difference. I had one guy tell me this morning that one of his customers told him that all you had to do was take a dremel tool and cut a couple of small openings in the top section of the factory grill for the legs of the grill cover to fit into. I think I'm going to try it. If thats all that it takes to make it work then no problem. He says that you can compare with a 2011 and see the difference. Nobody around me has a 2011 for me to compare with :(

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I think i know why the 1lt is different since i have one as well. The bottom grill is the same it seems on all nox's 2010-2012, but the top smaller grill is different on the 2012. The difference is if you look at ur top grill its a solid piece of plastic with no holes. But on the 2012 ltz and 2011 and 2012 it is not solid, it has an opening's. I noticed this before when at the dealer looking at Nox's. Don't know why its the case maybe aerodynamics or the motors on a v6 need more air, who knows lol. So the reason prob why they say it wont fit is because sounds like those grills are bolt on an if its solid plastic you would have to drill wholes to mount. Or that the top grill plastic might stick out to much or sink in to much in order for the grill to be mounted. Anything can be mounted might just need some custom work not sure if your willing to cut up the factory grill and i totally understand that a bolt on grill is so much easier especially if u plan to sell it later on.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
This is what i am meaning. Here are pics of mine. Hope that helps explain what i mean by solid piece. I think the V6 Ltz 2012 are not solid but i might be wrong.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Go to a site that sells GM Parts. Go to a collision section and see if the grills are different parts numbers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bowtieman said:
I think i know why the 1lt is different since i have one as well. The bottom grill is the same it seems on all nox's 2010-2012, but the top smaller grill is different on the 2012. The difference is if you look at ur top grill its a solid piece of plastic with no holes. But on the 2012 ltz and 2011 and 2012 it is not solid, it has an opening's. I noticed this before when at the dealer looking at Nox's. Don't know why its the case maybe aerodynamics or the motors on a v6 need more air, who knows lol. So the reason prob why they say it wont fit is because sounds like those grills are bolt on an if its solid plastic you would have to drill wholes to mount. Or that the top grill plastic might stick out to much or sink in to much in order for the grill to be mounted. Anything can be mounted might just need some custom work not sure if your willing to cut up the factory grill and i totally understand that a bolt on grill is so much easier especially if u plan to sell it later on.
I know exactly what your talking about. I went out this morning and was looking at mine and seen what your talking about. Looks like would still fit just needs a couple slots cut in it for the legs of the custom grill to snap into. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks,
Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Cool yea should work. What grill are you looking at the chrome similar to stock or the wire mesh look?
Here is a few pics of some i found on ebay, also a pic of a upper grill that is not solid plastic like ours selling on ebay, so that my be an option if u didnt want to cut into yours. But i think cutting into yours will be less work than totally swapping out the grill, which i believe u have to remove the entire front bumper.
I just typed in 2011 Chevy Equinox grill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to get the factory looking one thats chrome. I dont think it will be a big deal to get it to work right. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bobby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts