GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2012 GMC Terrian but my display screen is completely black now and I have no sound/radio at all including backup camera. I’m not sure what the problem is but I also don’t have any interior sounds such as the blinker or the seatbelt chime that usually happens. I’ve tried looking at the fuse box but I’m not sure I’m looking it it correctly since I am not a mechanic and I don’t know much about sounds, display screens, radios and speakers. Has anyone else experienced this promblem and if so did you find a solution?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wife's 2017 SLE had same issue screen went black, no radio, controls etc... dealer had to replace the unit. Vehicle was under warranty. Back in 2018 it seemed like a known / common occurrence as someone would visit area dealers on a scheduled basis to did this type work. Not sure if same issue as you are having ?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sadly these display screens do go bad and they are expensive to fix.
This is not a GM problem, all manufacturers have screens go bad.
Your problem needs to be professionaly diagnosed.
Is it the screen or the head unit, fuse, connector, wiring, etc.

You got ten years out of your screen, if that is your problem.
To keep this in prospective, I would be happy to get ten years out of my flat screen TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly these display screens do go bad and they are expensive to fix.
This is not a GM problem, all manufacturers have screens go bad.
Your problem needs to be professionaly diagnosed.
Is it the screen or the head unit, fuse, connector, wiring, etc.

To keep this in prospective, I would be happy to get ten years out of my flat screen TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wife's 2017 SLE had same issue screen went black, no radio, controls etc... dealer had to replace the unit. Vehicle was under warranty. Back in 2018 it seemed like a known / common occurrence as someone would visit area dealers on a scheduled basis to did this type work. Not sure if same issue as you are having ?
It sounds the same but my car is no longer under warranty so I’m having it looked at Thursday and hopefully they can tell me the issue!

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,404 Posts
@Cheyenne96 :

Yeah, but how often (runtime and power ON/OFF cycles) is the radio unit in the vehicle actually being used? When my father retired and started slowing down, he was driving a lot less, but the TV(s) in the house were ON all the time with his sporting events, political shows, and streaming of all kinds of musical performances from all over the world (especially mandolin-based and ethnic music, since he was a lifelong, very dedicated, and very proficient mandolin player). So - if you compared his actual usage of the radio unit in his vehicle versus his TVs 10 years into retirement, it was heavily skewed in favor of the TV(s).

I don't know if every flat screen TV has this, but my (2009) 48" Panasonic Plasma has a "Runtime Accumulator" in one of its menus. I think I found it in a "Service Menu" that you can enter by pressing a weird key sequence. It would be nice if such an Accumulator existed in all electronic units so we could more easily identify which units under-performed.

It sounds the same but my car is no longer under warranty so I’m having a professional look at it Thursday!
Not to scare you, but a co-worker here had a 2013 Toyota Hybrid, bought brand new, getting 50 mpg ... and he was loving it! Radio went bad, took it to the Dealer and they gave him a ridiculous repair price of $2,500 !!! He traded it in on a new (non-hybrid) Camry ... because he's driving less now, working from home. I think the Dealer purposely gouged him on the repair quote to help talk him into trading it in on a new car purchase! I never saw his 2013 Hybrid appear on this Dealer's lot or website. I think it was an inside deal ... someone at the Dealership ended up with it ... after fixing the radio for a few hundred bucks (of course)!

Search this forum for @DenverGp posts about replacing the radio unit on the cheap. You might not be able to do it yourself, but maybe you have a trusted independent mechanic (or friend) who would be willing to help you do it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, my 2014 MyLink has been doing this for a few weeks now. It might go all blank, or play the radio a few seconds and then off a few minutes, and repeats this. I can't change stations or sources.
It usually works after the car has been sitting overnight, but if it's then shut off and restarted a few minutes later, the screen and radio don't work. A few hours later, like after a work day, it sometimes does but sometimes doesn't. It acts like a loose connection, bad ground, or badly soldered circuit board. I've read other threads on this board, other boards, and YouTube, but haven't figured it out.

I've tried these:
Take out fuse #15 for the radio and replace
Disconnect negative terminal of battery for a few minutes
Replaced battery
Pressed the OnStar button
Performed a 'hard reset'
None had any effect

I haven't tried unplugging any connections yet. Is the only solution a new radio? Thanks for everything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try hitting the dash really hard several times in different places see if that makes a difference also you could try connecting a aftermarket diy ground to the body from the negative terminal like a thick one from autozone. Sounds like a bad ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used 2012 GMC Terrian but my display screen is completely black now and I have no sound/radio at all including backup camera. I’m not sure what the problem is but I also don’t have any interior sounds such as the blinker or the seatbelt chime that usually happens. I’ve tried looking at the fuse box but I’m not sure I’m looking it it correctly since I am not a mechanic and I don’t know much about sounds, display screens, radios and speakers. Has anyone else experienced this promblem and if so did you find a solution?
Exact same issue here. I had my fuel pump replaced, picked up my vehicle and no radio/sound, and no interior sounds. it just happened today. No solution as of yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've a 2012 GMC Terrain SLT, and the radio, the A/C, the defrosters, the cigarette lighter, the USB Ports, and the windshield wipers, do not work. The windshield supports only work when you pull on the level to wash the windshield.
What's going on with this?
Thank you in advance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts