GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post, and going to be a bit lengthy, but I will try my best to explain the issues.

I purchased this off of someone that I knew. The car had jumped time and I bought it cheap to fix.

I purchased a reman head with cams, gasket kit, timing chain kit, new high-pressure fuel pump, new maf, map, and exhaust cam solenoid.

I got it all back together and I have drove it approximately 3500 miles. When I first got it together (and the previous owner had this issue as well) it had an issue when you would first start the car it would idle fine for a few seconds and start loping so to speak as if it was going to die, and eventually would die. I have the same issue now that it is back together, but it has progressively gotten worse. I cannot seem to narrow down the issue, but when you first start it sometimes it is fine, other times it is not. It seems to be mostly on a cold start but not always. When you start taking off before it throws its fit, you can get down the road just a little ways and it just acts like it has no power. You can press the throttle to the floor and it will not pick up any speed. The fix is to let off the throttle, hit it again, let off, and hit it again. Once you do this the car is TYPICALLY fine for your entire drive.

Now, here recently it has been struggling a little more than usual. Coming to a stop at a stop sign or a stoplight and the car wants to start idling a little sloppy but usually not enough to kill it. It is way better if you throw it into neutral rather than drive. Eco mode makes it worse as expected. I actually used HP tuners to increase the idle by another 100 rpm on both eco and standard mode which helped out a little bit.

My thought was injectors or throttle body, but I have no way of confirming that unless someone knows of a test procedure that I could do. I did clean the tips of the injectors when I had it all apart, I cleaned out the hole in the intake manifold when I had it apart, I'm just not sure why it is still acting dumb. I cannot use the remote start as once it idles for about 20 seconds it starts loping and dies. Another issue it has is sometimes after driving it somewhere and you run into say a gas station and come back out to start it, sometimes it will not start on the first crank. You have to turn the key back off and turn it again, and it's always started the next go around. It has to be something simple, I'm just not sure what route to go at this point.

One thing I’ve wondered if it might be the cam phasers themselves that’s causing my issues. I did reuse the old ones not knowing that I probably should have replaced them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
procedure that I could
Take off the air intake turn the key without starting it, press the pedal while a friend checks and looks to see how far the throttle body is opening, don't touch or move the throttle body while it has power it could damage it or the pcm.
The throttle body will also typically throw several codes like voltage correlation like if your foot is on the floor and hardly any power it should throw a code there's several systems that measure the voltage on the throttle body and the pedal. Typically when the car acts like that it should say low engine power or something.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe try disconnect the computer overnight and fully charge the battery then let it go through the complete drive cycle including the idle relearn where you put it in drive run the ac and all accessories for 3 minutes with foot on the brake after you re connect the battery.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have you tried scanning for codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes. It has popped up exhaust timing along with a map sensor code and a maf code once or twice. It trips all 3. All 3 have been changed.
I’ve done throttle releans and crank relearn already. This car did this before it jumped time as well.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
Have you tried shredding for cash?

Just kidding.

Usually, my experience with these kinds of idle problems - it’s the throttle body. Can you tell what the ECM is trying to command the throttle to versus what it actually is?

Reactions: christopherlompoc
1 - 7 of 7 Posts