GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 gmc terrain 2.4 thing i have done....
Going to start off by saying few months back customer stated the car sounded like a diesel...pulled car in and checked oil literally had a half a qt of oil (oil consumption issue) called the dealer they said no recalls on the vehicle and said it passed the oil consumption test. sounded horrible so after changing the oil and had to put new cam solenoids in also. car then ran pretty well. fast forward she ended up throwing a p0016 and p0017 which is correlation with cams to the crank being out of wack. so i decided to dig deeper and found that it had a broken guide dont know how long its been broken for but besides the point i ended up buying the cloyes kit with balancing shaft kit also.

replaced all timing gears,chains,guides,tensioners matched up all timing marks and put her back together still got the p0016 and p0017 so took timing back apart and did it again just to make sure, put it back together same thing....... the car sounded good at idle and ran pretty well only thing i didnt like was it sounded very throaty and slow on acceleration. Again second guessing myself i pulled it back in checked timing again still on point and also decided to replace the cam phasers along with swapping cam solenoids out for a 3rd time. still no luck...still runs okay and still had a lumpy idle at a stop. so at this point i have all new timing gears,guides,cam phasers,tensioners,solenoids,fresh oil..... i dont think it would be cam pos sensors because it 2 codes paired up still basically signify timing is still out or it would give a cam positioning sensor code. when both appear at the same time very solemnly will it be both a and b sensors going out at once

As of today car went into reduce power still no motor noise but running funky and im throwing p0016,p0017,p0089,p228d

any advice would be greatly appreciated. note- I have been a mechanic for roughly 10yrs now timing isnt new to me but this car has me stumped and is starting to make me believe there might be valve damage maybe or block oil valleys where pieces of broken guide could of entered.idk anything helps...... the dealer said no recalls on this year terrain.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If you suspect a valve try a quick compression test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, I figured it out and I will attach pictures to hopefully help anyone else that makes the mistake I do. So like I stated I’ve done plenty of timing in the past but never ran into this issue... the lower crank gear had a paper thin washer that seemed as it was part of the gear that I did not catch onto because the rubber of the gear had a lip on it that the washer sat flush and you couldn’t tell it was separate from the gear itself. Which with the washer on there appears to be what looks like a timing mark that in videos people seem to use that mark as a primary mark. I think this should be noted in tutorial vids so people don’t assume. Again thank you all for the help much appreciated I’m glad it’s done with lesson learned. Now mind you the pic with the washer I already removed and set back on so now you can see the washer better but wish I took one prior with oil on it making it seem part of the gear.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I appreciate your help
Congrats on picking up the spacer/washer on the outside of the lower crank gear.
Your posts, and especially pics, will help others in the future.

After looking into this I found the 2.4L can have two of these spacers.
One on either side of the crank gear.
The inner stays on the crank, and the outer is most important because it can hide/ confuse the alignment mark.
Replace both after installing the new chains and gear.

The 2014 GM Repair Manual describes this with pics on Book 2 Chapter 9 Page 889.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts