GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The terrian I have has over 180K on it. I had to get the head gasket changed out due to the oil burning and coolant mixing. It was running fine for a couple of months. Then it started having starting issue...
The Terrain would not start was having intermittent starting issues.
I changed out the starter motor - it did not help it just gets one click when I turn the key.
Battery -
I changed to a new battery. And that did not help. The terminals look clean. The engine ground looks corroded i am going to work on that but am not sure if that would help.
I tried jump starting it did not help.
Using a volt meter with heat sink shows battery volt of apprx 11 with load and lights and stuff come on fine.
I do get a message saying check battery charging system
I bypassed the relay in the fuse box and it is fine same one click from the starter...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks folks...

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have a corroded ground or corroded positive cable issues then you probably have found the problem. Your lights etc will work ok but that starter motor draws a whole lot more current.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A fully charged battery with no load on it should read 12.6v . 11v with lights on means it needs charging.
Charge the battery, negative cable corroded, replace it. Don't fool around with just replacing terminals. Any battery cable corrosion the cable should be changed, corrosion will travel down the cable under the insulation and with todays small sized cables erratic starting is the first symptom. I chased the same problem on a old Sable I used to have.
You need to get it running to check the charging system, running engine should test at least 13.5v at the battery terminals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks will check out the volts appreciate the help...
can i charge it with my other running car acura hooked in parallell or should I take it out and buy a charger...else I can take it back to the advance auto store I bought it at...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Since jump starting did not help then the problem is toward the cables and connections. You don't need to take the battery out to charge it if you can get to the terminals. Just disconnect the neg terminal and put your charger on the battery. 11 Volts is slight to moderate discharge and should recover with a charge. Like Repairman said check the cables and connection points.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you try jumping connected to the battery or did you connect to the preferred post on the fuse panel and the spot marked GND? If it starts using the preferred terminals and not the battery then its your corroded terminal. If you still cant get it to start i would op for the starter or starting relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts