GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2012 Equinox in early August (one of the first shipments). Since the vehicle was new I have had major problems with the bluetooth connectivity. We have a couple of phones in the family, and they all work perfectly with my 2011 Sierra - this was a main feature that my wife was looking forward to from her new vehicle. After messing with trying to make her old cell phone work for about a month, I upgraded her to a HTC Evo. While it did connect, it was very inconsistent - dropping bluetooth connection or picking it up randomly, with more dropping than picking. I also tried my Droid Incredible and saw the same result. The bluetooth feature we had been waiting for is essentially useless.

Being sorta tech savvy (or at least a gadget guy), I scheduled a service visit using the "My Chevy" Android application. That was a total failure also - but is another story.

Anyway, I took my Equinox into the dealer today. After about an hour, the service rep emerged and said that there was a known issue with bluetooth connectivity to her phone, and it was documented in a service bulletin. I asked him about my phone, and after a bit he said that it was also in the same service bulletin.

Here is the bulletin information: #PIC5504A: Bluetooth Connection Issues with LG modules (Sept 7, 2011)
A customer may report an issue for intermittent loss of Bluetooth connection between the customer's cell phone and their GM vehicle.... ...The service bulletin goes on to list affected devices which includes nearly all of the modern/popular smartphones available:
Apple iPhone 4 (AT&T and Verizon)
HTC Droid Incredible
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Inspire
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC EVO Shift 4G
HTC EVO View 4G
HTC EVO 3D
LG Revolution 4G
Motorola Atrix
Motorola Droid X2
Samsung Galaxay S
Samsung Nexus S (multiple model #'s)
Samsung Carge
Samsung Epic 4G
Sony XPERIA play

My wife's first phone wasn't on this list (Samsung Restore) but the list does say that it could affect other phones as well. I'm wondering if there are any phones that actually DO work.

The service rep said they didn't know when these problems would be resolved, and said that I should check back in a month or two. I asked him if he could inform me when a radio update came out and he said they don't do that. (REALLY?) I come from a family of GM owners across many generations, but I must say this really tests my loyalty to GM. They advertised bluetooth - its even on the window sticker - which is unusable and nobody seems to care. The bluetooth thing isn't about the technology - to me, it is a safety feature. The reality is that my wife and I both work from our cars - we must be available by phone, and we must be able to safely manage those two activities (with safe driving taking the priority, of course). We have the headsets and the rechargeable speakerphones, but they just don't compare to the integrated bluetooth scenario.

If GM is going to hold onto the portion of that sticker price which I paid for this functionality until they can actually produce it, shouldn't they at least try to make it look like it has some importance? They threw out press releases in February for mylink, which is still vaporware today (OK, maybe I wasn't totally promised that - but all I am expecting is a little bit of information that tells me what kind of fool I might be for buying this vehicle before seeing it). Is this a pattern?

-AKAWALLY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
What smartphone does work? I am leary about the order I placed for a 2012 NOX. This issue is on the Cadillac forum also. You would think they would have this ironed out BEFORE making this a selling point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Thats not good, I feel your pain and wouldnt be able to live without the bluetooth in it. I have a HTC Droid Incredible and never ran into any issues in using it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
ptco911 said:
What smartphone does work? I am leary about the order I placed for a 2012 NOX. This issue is on the Cadillac forum also. You would think they would have this ironed out BEFORE making this a selling point.
I have the Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon) and haven't had any issues with losing the connection in my 2012 Nox (build date 8/22/11). Sorry to hear that some are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Both my wife and I have Samsung and a Nokia not so smart phones, and they work fine. Samsung Eternity II, Nokia 6350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The service bulletin does say that the issues are only with vehicles that have the LG "VCIM" module, and gives the tech instructions to determine which VCIM module is in the vehicle. For what its worth, my 2012 Equinox is a LTZ, with every option except for the Navigation option.

I did a search for this Service bulletin and noticed some chatter related to the Cadillac SRX, so the Equinox may not be the only vehicle with this issue. I suspect that the dealer's service rep didn't know anything and either didn't have anyone to call about this, or he was too uninterested to do so. Either way, I don't really trust any information that he had to offer. Since yours is working, can I ask you to check & report your current software version on your radio (it is under the config menu / radio option)? Here is my version level:

J3 Startup App - Version C.7.15
J3Apps - Version C.7.15
J3 Sys Lib - Version C.7.15
V850 APP - Version C.7.8

I do hope that when they release a radio update they will give us access to it so we can update from USB without having to make a service appointment.

-AKAWALLY

EDIT: I couldn't live with myself if someone read this and bought a dodge just because I had a bad day. I probably should add that despite a few missing features and the bluetooth problem, our Equinox is pretty awesome. While I have some disappointment in these few things, I do realize that GM is trying, and my current 2011/2012 GM vehicles are tons better than the previous generation. Like most huge corporations, GM needs to work on their communication with consumers. The fact that they even have an Android app shows progress - and I do feel like they wrote that for people like me. I hope someday soon they will use it to personalize communications like allowing me to subscribe to service bulletins, notifying owners of things like radio or component updates, and complete the process for service requests. Most of my disappointment today is with my dealer's service department, and while they do represent GM here in my local area, I realize that they are not really GM. I plan on having my Equinox for years to come, and I can wait a bit for an update - just give me a time frame and make the stuff work. My patience grows thin when people fail to share information or treat a consumer as irrelavent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
There are sometimes connectivity issues with the 2011's as well. I've seen people comment on it before, with different kinds of phones, can't remember which ones though.

BUT - have you tried repairing the phone to the bluetooth? This has helped a few other people before. Try to repair the phone, I think instructions are in the Owner's Manual, not sure, and if it doesn't seem to work at first, let the car sleep on it overnight. If the phone/bluetooth isn't working in the morning, try repairing it again, etc. Try it once or twice to see if it helps, sometimes it does, no idea why. ...kind of like restarting a computer I guess? I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
My 2012 Terrain luckily hasn't had Bluetooth problems with my iPhone 3GS. Hope this gets resolved for everyone else.


Previous: 1999 Chevy Lumina Base

Current: 2012 GMC Terrain SLT2 AWD V6
20 mpg average
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
akawally said:
Since yours is working, can I ask you to check & report your current software version on your radio (it is under the config menu / radio option)? Here is my version level:

J3 Startup App - Version C.7.15
J3Apps - Version C.7.15
J3 Sys Lib - Version C.7.15
V850 APP - Version C.7.8

I do hope that when they release a radio update they will give us access to it so we can update from USB without having to make a service appointment.

-AKAWALLY
I just checked and I have the same software versions that you listed. Sorry...I guess that doesn't help much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have been playing with this over the last few weeks and I am seeing some results. The Bluetooth connectivity has stabilized with one of the two following actions:

  • I paried a second phone to the radio. When have two phones paired and select one of the phones explicitly from the paired list, it seems to be ALOT more stable with both of my devices.

  • I did un-pair and re-pair several times. Though I did this many times without any improvement until I added the second phone, there is a small possibility that the most recent un-pair/re-pair did the magic, as the last time I tried this, I added two phones at once.

Now that it is working better, I don't think I'll mess with it for a while. I thought I'd share my experience for others who experience the same issue. I would still like some information from the manufacturer or dealer on the Bluetooth issue, and the Mylink plan. My hopes aren't high for that.

-AKAWALLY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I'm having some issues in my '10 as well. I wonder if it's the same hardware/software. I'll have to check.

I had a VZW HTC Droid Incredible (which is on the list) and I did not ever have an issues connecting or using it via bluetooth and handsfree voice commands.

Since then, I've gotten a VZW iPhone 4, and that experience hasn't been as smooth. It generally connects without any issues. The problems I encounter are when I am using the voice commands to call someone. It will mute the radio and dial the number through the phone, and about half the time, everything works as it should. The other times, as it dials, the radio display says "private call" and I do not get any sound through the vehicle speakers. For some reason it dials the number, but the phone uses its own speakers/mic. On the phone I can choose audio source between "iPhone/Speaker/Vehicle". Sometimes it allows me to switch to vehicle, sometimes when I select it, it doesn't work. It's a bit of a safety issue since I have to fumble around with the phone at times to force it to be completely "hands-free." Not sure where the blames lies with this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
akawally said:
The service bulletin does say that the issues are only with vehicles that have the LG "VCIM" module, and gives the tech instructions to determine which VCIM module is in the vehicle. For what its worth, my 2012 Equinox is a LTZ, with every option except for the Navigation option.

I did a search for this Service bulletin and noticed some chatter related to the Cadillac SRX, so the Equinox may not be the only vehicle with this issue. I suspect that the dealer's service rep didn't know anything and either didn't have anyone to call about this, or he was too uninterested to do so. Either way, I don't really trust any information that he had to offer. Since yours is working, can I ask you to check & report your current software version on your radio (it is under the config menu / radio option)? Here is my version level:

J3 Startup App - Version C.7.15
J3Apps - Version C.7.15
J3 Sys Lib - Version C.7.15
V850 APP - Version C.7.8

I do hope that when they release a radio update they will give us access to it so we can update from USB without having to make a service appointment.

-AKAWALLY

EDIT: I couldn't live with myself if someone read this and bought a dodge just because I had a bad day. I probably should add that despite a few missing features and the bluetooth problem, our Equinox is pretty awesome. While I have some disappointment in these few things, I do realize that GM is trying, and my current 2011/2012 GM vehicles are tons better than the previous generation. Like most huge corporations, GM needs to work on their communication with consumers. The fact that they even have an Android app shows progress - and I do feel like they wrote that for people like me. I hope someday soon they will use it to personalize communications like allowing me to subscribe to service bulletins, notifying owners of things like radio or component updates, and complete the process for service requests. Most of my disappointment today is with my dealer's service department, and while they do represent GM here in my local area, I realize that they are not really GM. I plan on having my Equinox for years to come, and I can wait a bit for an update - just give me a time frame and make the stuff work. My patience grows thin when people fail to share information or treat a consumer as irrelavent.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble, but this issue wont be fixed with a radio software update, it is an issue with the OnStar module, which has the Bluetooth interface for the 2012 model until the Intellilink comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
our 2012 has been great with the Bluetooth with our Original Droid and a Droid x2. (we have NAV too) I had a little issue at first, but had to restart my phone (original Droid) and all has been fine since. I am planning on picking up a Galaxy Nexus next month and hope it doesn't cause any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Re: 2011 Equinox Bluetooth Problems

our current issue - how can we tell what version of bluetootth the nox is using

we have a new samsung galaxy q - and are having many issues sometimes disconnects while talking - or picks up a call then disconnects -howver caller can hear sound from car - previous non android samsung and most every other
phone, nokia etc etc fine - there has to be a fix for this somewhere- my sons has an htc and has connection problems as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Re: 2011 Equinox Bluetooth Problems

robinwood said:
our current issue - how can we tell what version of bluetootth the nox is using

we have a new samsung galaxy q - and are having many issues sometimes disconnects while talking - or picks up a call then disconnects -howver caller can hear sound from car - previous non android samsung and most every other
phone, nokia etc etc fine - there has to be a fix for this somewhere- my sons has an htc and has connection problems as well
There is a fix, and your vehicle will receive it shortly. It will be fixed by an Over The Air update to the OnStar module. The "fix" started to be pushed this week and may take a couple weeks to be pushed to ALL vehicles hang in there it's coming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Re: 2011 Equinox Bluetooth Problems

robinwood said:
our current issue - how can we tell what version of bluetootth the nox is using

we have a new samsung galaxy q - and are having many issues sometimes disconnects while talking - or picks up a call then disconnects -howver caller can hear sound from car - previous non android samsung and most every other
phone, nokia etc etc fine - there has to be a fix for this somewhere- my sons has an htc and has connection problems as well
Has your concern been resolved? I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
akawally said:
...Now that it is working better, I don't think I'll mess with it for a while. I thought I'd share my experience for others who experience the same issue. I would still like some information from the manufacturer or dealer on the Bluetooth issue, and the Mylink plan. My hopes aren't high for that.

-AKAWALLY
Update: Bluetooth is still working for me. Actually it has been nearly perfect for about a month. Voodoo stuff, I guess. If you have bluetooth problems, unpair/repair a few times.

- AKAWALLY
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top