GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2012 Chevy Equinox Important Safety Recall - Tailpipe emissions Exhaust Components

23K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Mcveli31 
#1 ·
Anyone else get this notice safety recall from their dealer? It says, "The performance capability of the vehicles catalytic converters may have been degraded, such that efficiency is reduced & the check engine light will not illuminate".

They give a number to call and say their will be no charge for this service.

I am wondering if this is a real GM recall or if they are just trying to get me in to sell me a new catalytic converter?

#2 ·
Anyone else get this notice safety recall from their dealer? It says, "The performance capability of the vehicles catalytic converters may have been degraded, such that efficiency is reduced & the check engine light will not illuminate".

I am wondering if this is a real GM recall or if they are just trying to get me in to sell me a new catalytic converter?
I found this:

• GM Recall #:
  • N192268181

• Date Issued:
  • Oct 01, 2020

Recall Title:

Tailpipe Emissions – Exhaust Components

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emissions recall involving certain 2012-2013 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine and certified to the EPA Bin 4 emission standard and the California Cleaner Federal Vehicle option of Bin 4 emission standard. The performance capability of the vehicle’s catalytic converters may have degraded, such that efficiency is reduced. In addition, the oxygen sensors may provide inaccurate information to the engine control module which manages engine combustion air-fuel ratios. If these conditions occur, tail pipe emissions may exceed allowed limits, without providing any notification to the driver. The malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light) will not illuminate.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to replace both catalytic converters and both oxygen sensors.

This is awesome since I have been getting the P0420 catalytic threshold code (mine was an oil burner) and in fact just replaced both o2 sensors without fixing the P0420. I just called my dealer and they will do the work this week.

#4 ·
UGH! this irritates me because all the people who have bad cats and they swear they have nothing to do with it... 99% of people they look the other way until....
GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine and certified to the EPA Bin 4 emission standard and the California Cleaner Federal Vehicle option of Bin 4 emission standard.
the EPA comes after them... friggin bs

#5 · (Edited)

It is a real Service bulletin, I had mine replaced at no cost around 90 thousand miles.
Special Coverage 15810
Run your VIN at my.gm.com

#7 ·
No, the 3.6L has a different setup.
There is no exhaust manifold on either side.
Each head has its own cat converter, it uses a flange to bolt to the head.

#9 ·
Well they replaced the catalytic converters and o2 sensors. The dealer called and said the exhaust manifold was cracked and would cost $1200 to replace, I said no, but on the drive home the car smelled like the exhaust was being pumped directly into the cabin, hopefully that is just the new converter breaking in. I want to get another year out of this heaping pile of sh*t but not sure that will be possible. Worst car I have ever owned.

#10 ·
That smell is probably the manifold... 1200 is ridiculous but on the heaping piles they made the air vent intake for the cabin right next to the manifold within less than 2 feet... I knew a lady who drove around with an exhaust leak like that... She passed out from carbon monoxide with her foot on the gas ended up wrecking at about 80mph killed her. Anyway chevy needs to be sued when basically every equinox ends up cracking the manifold.

#11 ·
I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox 3.0 V6 LT
And it's got around 160,000 miles on it and showing symptoms of the catalytic converter being a problem power loss going uphill poor acceleration Etc. So I took my Equinox down to an exhaust shop and muffler shop to get a quote here in California to replace them for my vehicle with California approved cats. Before quoting me what the labor would cost a bomb was dropped on me. Mike Equinox based on the mileage and condition is value right around $4,600 . The catalytic converters approved by California for sale by repair shops here in California including related parts to do the job total up to $5,500 not including labor. I'm still Blown Away. My car's been sitting parked for 2 months now. I guess that puts my car's value in the current market- $600 did you ask me you should be illegal keep manufacturing these equinoxes car buyers especially knowing it's going to cost you more than the car is worth just to buy the parts that sounds like fraud to me thank you Chevrolet and thank you. California. I got to enjoy my car for 2 years not nothing but a pile of equinox

#12 ·
Your in CA, you are supposed to trade it in for a EV. Didn't you get Gov. Gavins memo.
No matter the brand of vehicle CA cats are expensive and they are an eventually wear out item even though they have a 80k mile warranty. I'm on the other coast and have the CA emissions rules hanging over my head also.

#13 ·
All 4 cats?
I would think just the front 2.
And 4 sensors... dont see how that equals 5500.
Did they give you a price breakdown?
Curious what theyre charging for each.
Im in LA, so i know CA cats are expensive...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.