GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am test driving tonight a new 2012 White SLT-2 with navigation. When using the backup camera the image is in black and white. Really seems strange that the vehicle is loaded with technology and a high resolution color screen, but GM installs a black and white camera. Please tell me that there is a problem with the camera.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine's color but kinda poor in color quality.....love it as a feature though....any safety feature is great......impreseed with the lane drift warning and collision avoidance systems also....

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't have one, but I think it's supposed to be in color.

Not trying to be rude by any means, but is there a chance that you are a little bit color blind? If it's poor quality color, like Spiritman said, that could be a factor. (My husband is red/green colorblind)

If not, then have your dealer check it out I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the dealership, very investing find. 2012 Terrains without navigation had color in the backup camera, those with navigation were only black and white. Sounds like a software issue to me.
Please let me know if anyone else with navigation has a color image on the their backup camera.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine has very little color at night in low light conditions. During the day it's color.

·
Registered
249 Posts
slrech said:
It is in color but it has poor resolution. It should be HD at least, but is not
HD, lol. What are we talking here 1080P or would 720 suffice? And what about fps?
btw, my camera is color, and so were the other 2 models I test drove

·
Registered
949 Posts
jordan said:
Just got back from the dealership, very investing find. 2012 Terrains without navigation had color in the backup camera, those with navigation were only black and white. Sounds like a software issue to me.
Please let me know if anyone else with navigation has a color image on the their backup camera.
Huh. That's odd. Sounds like a stupid decision, hopefully there'll be an update to fix that?

·
Registered
139 Posts
slrech said:
It is in color but it has poor resolution. It should be HD at least, but is not
HD? really? The camera for my 2010 works just great minus rain conditions but that's normal. If you can't tell whats behind you from the camera then maybe glasses/new glasses is needed. Don't mean to be frank about it but the camera is perfectly fine I don't know why you would need HD on a rear view back up camera.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, the camera is a color camera and the display can display color so it sounds like a software issue to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased the vehicle Saturday morning and found the backup does have color. The issue is that GM adjusted sensitivity to work better at night causing the image to be in my opinion having too much contrast.
I realize that is only the backup camera, but our Murano and Pathfinder had a much better crisper images. This is a feature that should be standard on every vehicle. After 30 years owning Infinity and Nissan, excited to be back in a GM vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CanadianTerrain said:
HD? really? The camera for my 2010 works just great minus rain conditions but that's normal.....
I've never had a problem with rain; I thought it would be an issue, but even during the torrential downpours here this week the camera was perfectly fine, seems to be in a good position to not get wet, at least on my terrain (2011). I had problems last winter, with snow and the associated road salt. Camera became useless instantly. I keep a little spray bottle of windshield fluid and a microfibre cloth handy during the winter months to clean the lens before backing up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
CuHead said:
I've never had a problem with rain; I thought it would be an issue, but even during the torrential downpours here this week the camera was perfectly fine, seems to be in a good position to not get wet, at least on my terrain (2011). I had problems last winter, with snow and the associated road salt. Camera became useless instantly. I keep a little spray bottle of windshield fluid and a microfibre cloth handy during the winter months to clean the lens before backing up.
Yeah same here...unfortunately there is no way to fix the road salt in the winter. They may have moved the camera to hide it better from the rain in the new 2011 model. I always have droplets of water which skews it during rain storms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is this "rain" and "snow" you people speak of?

signed,

a Texan.

...but really - it rained for seemingly the first time all YEAR the day I bought my terrain (2012). I noticed some droplets on the camera when I got home, but it didn't cause much of an issue. Honestly, I was just excited to see rain :(

·
Registered
949 Posts
doctah said:
What is this "rain" and "snow" you people speak of?

signed,

a Texan.

...but really - it rained for seemingly the first time all YEAR the day I bought my terrain (2012). I noticed some droplets on the camera when I got home, but it didn't cause much of an issue. Honestly, I was just excited to see rain :(

I feel ya. I don't believe it's rained on my Equinox YET since I bought it in March. Finally rained here today! (but my car is parked in the garage, ha!) Ah, Texas...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it possible you were backing up in the Dark? I'm only guessing, but if it is a Color Camera with Night vision or LED's for illumination at night, the Night time mode of the camera is Black and white. (all my normal Security cameras are this way too, it's real expensive to get Color Night vision)

·
Registered
193 Posts
TGS said:
LOL. Glad you said it so I didn't have to. ::)
No excuse for this camera not being 1080p and 120fps. GM cheaped out again. My next car will not be GM after this camera fiasco!

·
Registered
139 Posts
dishdude said:
No excuse for this camera not being 1080p and 120fps. GM cheaped out again. My next car will not be GM after this camera fiasco!
I think they should be making these 3D. What was GM thinking. Like really they couldn't include a pair of 3D glasses?

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
CanadianTerrain said:
I think they should be making these 3D. What was GM thinking. Like really they couldn't include a pair of 3D glasses?
:rofl: :hilarious:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts